Did our problems start two years ago on this day??

28 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

TF signed Woods, Warhurst, Jemson and Bart man who all played regularly in that season.

It doesn't matter if a manager "inherits" someone else's team, they still have to manage them.

Jemson and Woods, say no more. Both utter gash. And he didn’t sign Cantona. 🤦‍♂️

30 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

The moment FF missed that pen it all went to sheite 

Yep

And keeping ‘calamity Carlos’ here was the equivalent of footballing suicide 

Chansiri has been guilty of many, many monumental phook ups at this club but keeping the £20 note basher here was amongst the worst.

Throwing a ridiculous amount of money at a football squad with no plan at all is no way to obtain stability or sustainability.  It may win you matches in the short term but after that....

And you could tell nobody had any contacts or idea about the english game till bruce decided to watch the end of the cricket. Thats why we panicked and signed van aken.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

Jemson and Woods, say no more. Both utter gash. And he didn’t sign Cantona. 🤦‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I never said he did, if you mean bart man thats Chris Bart-williams!

I never mentioned Bart-Williams, he was a decent signing.

Jemson and Woods however were rubbish.

And Cantona should have been signed by Francis, massive mistake that.

7 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

I never mentioned Bart-Williams, he was a decent signing.

Jemson and Woods however were rubbish.

And Cantona should have been signed by Francis, massive mistake that.

Cantona was never coming here, he was just put in the shop window.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

That's a classic case of a player smashing up everything that had been built in the dressing room/team evironment

And there were fans saying 'He should play no matter what he's done - you always play your best players'

Agree always play your best players if they sing from the same hymsheet. 

Guest Willow Owl

For me 3 turning points.

1985-  We qualified for Europe and then because of the scousers and Heysel we got banned from European competition for next 5 years. Who knows what we could have achieved and players we could attract.

Dave Richards borrowed stupid amounts money we were never able to pay back, then jumped ship to the FA when things came on top. Paid for that for 15 years.

FFP, the only time we had a chairman with money to spend then they bring this rule in. Since then numerous poor decisions to try and get round it.

just my opinion

I would say we've had 4 decent seasons in the last 22 years, and two of them were in L1.

For a club of our standing and fan base, it pretty horrific.

For the recent-years debacle, we started to come off the rails in 2017; CC' tactics against Huddersfield and JR's looking the other way when asked if he fancied a penalty, our 150yr 'celebrations, which were nothing short of embarrassing; the pigs defeat in September and employing Jos by Christmas capped a shitehouse year even by our standards.

• Like 1

Our problems started at the beginning of Carlos’s 2nd season when for some inexplicable reason he abandoned the expansive attacking football that won us plaudits from all over the country & got us within 90 mins of the Premier.

Most of us knew after Wembley that we needed a box to box midfielder, a better centre back & 2 better full backs. Add those to the football we played in his first season & for me we would have been top 2. It’s even more annoying that those positions have still not been adequately filled to this day.

Carlos wasn’t helped in his 2nd season when his authority was undermined & the team spirit damaged by FF refusing to travel to Norwich & getting a pay rise out of it.

Guest Hornsby

Our recent problems started when we appointed a football agency to do our recruitment.

Then sacked a great guy like Roeder.

And told Perason Vardy was crap and not worh £5 million.