Did our problems start two years ago on this day??

The layers of mistakes and the points at which took a turn for a worse are so plentiful it’s difficult to really put the pin into any single event and say ‘this is it, this is the one’.

Decades of decline, a brief uptick in fortunes and then back to decline. 
I think the greatest squandered opportunity was the second play off season. It was the weakest set of teams in the playoffs and for some reason we just choked.

There was a moment in the game when we were pushing for the win and Carlos brought Nuhiu on as our final attacker. Nuhiu was in terrible form at the time and Winall was sat on his arse on the bench unused. I though to myself then it’s like we are playing for the draw and hoping for pens. 

I was sat in the south stand opposite the goal the pens were being taken in. The moment Forestieri missed it was all over really.

You could almost feel the fear emanating off the players. 
Wheels fell off after that. 

• Like 4

I’m sure even DC would quietly admit to numerous mistakes during his tenure of our club, but personally I feel the main negative issues are the crazy recruitment/spending in the season following the play off final and lastly Bruce being poached by Newcastle.

Securing Steve Bruce as manager felt like the best bit of business DC had done in his time at our club and for a brief period it was all working to plan. Sadly when Bruce left for Newcastle I also felt DCs final chance of making a return on his investment had left too.

With respect to Pulis I believe DC has made a sound choice, but it will only work if DC is still committed to the project and for the time being it doesn’t appear that way.

DCs wasted investment in our club is one of many cautionary tales of financial failure in football. It always amazes me why any investors would expect anything different?

Under DC there is no doubt he has done crazy things but under his aegis for me the top three are

Letting Gray go

Recruitment over Summer and season 2016-17 which did for us and for Carlos.’Fletcher Abdi Jones Rhodes destabilised the wage structure and didn’t improve us.

Replacing Carlos with Jos when we needed an experienced Champ

manager. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hougoumont said:

if it wasn't for Chansiri we'd in the fourth tier now.

So if it wasn't for Chansiri, we'd be fighting it out with Salford, Harrogate, Cheltenham and Forest Green Rovers?

Sure.

2 hours ago, GLOwl said:

Could go back to when fatty Dave Richards got his childish revenge and sacked Big Ron. That then lead to Jasper Carrott getting the job and he took over a great team on the up but couldn’t improve us or keep us near the top.

Big Ron walked out in his first stint to go to Villa. He was replaced by TF who managed a 3rd place finish in the top league. Ron returned in 98 on a short deal and didn't have his contract renewed at the end of the season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Big Ron walked out in his first stint to go to Villa. He was replaced by TF who managed a 3rd place finish in the top league. Ron returned in 98 on a short deal and didn't have his contract renewed at the end of the season.

Don't understand the love in for Francis.

He inherited a good team from Big Ron and finished 3rd, then downhill from then on.

I do give him credit though for signing Chris Waddle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I got my timings mixed up, see previous post in this thread.

Francis couldn’t maintain what Big Ron handed over. Yes we finished 3rd but that was Ron’s team, not Francis’ team.

2 minutes ago, Ray Von shabba said:

Don't understand the love in for Francis.

He inherited a good team from Big Ron and finished 3rd, then downhill from then on.

I do give him credit though for signing Chris Waddle.

Downhill as in 7th, 7th and 13th for the next 3 seasons in the top league in Europe and then sacked.

Persuaded 3 England Internationals to sign for us. I doubt we will ever be anywhere near that position again.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, debram said:

Maybe when FF refused to play at Norwich.

That's a classic case of a player smashing up everything that had been built in the dressing room/team evironment

And there were fans saying 'He should play no matter what he's done - you always play your best players'

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

I got my timings mixed up, see previous post in this thread.

Francis couldn’t maintain what Big Ron handed over. Yes we finished 3rd but that was Ron’s team, not Francis’ team.

TF signed Woods, Warhurst, Jemson and Bart man who all played regularly in that season.

It doesn't matter if a manager "inherits" someone else's team, they still have to manage them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, debram said:

Maybe when FF refused to play at Norwich.

To this day I still don’t know why we didn’t terminate his contract and prove a point no player is bigger than club. I think if Fernando had been dealt with properly, his best mate Abdi might of played more games 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

TF signed Woods, Warhurst, Jemson and Bart man who all played regularly in that season.

It doesn't matter if a manager "inherits" someone else's team, they still have to manage them.

Bang on

Anyone can buy new players and hang on for nine months till they're sacked - ANYONE

Actually managing the players you have been given and getting the very very best out of them - THAT is a manager

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop