Belgium v England

17 minutes ago, JoshTheOwl said:

Winks for Henderson?really? 

not got a lot of faith in Southgate if I’m honest, seems unable to make the right decisions & I don’t see much progression at the moment. 

Same

He also gives caps out like sweets

• Like 1

Guest Bulgaria

Thought we were very good, fair play to belgium, they defended very well.

Not very often in my lifetime can I say that England completely dominated the world's number one team.

I’m not a great fan of Rod Liddle, but he wrote a very good piece in today’s Sunday Times about Southgate and England.  His take is that Southgate is a better ambassador for the game than coach.  He’s risk averse and over-values players who can “do a job” whilst under-valuing those than can change the game.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

I’m not a great fan of Rod Liddle, but he wrote a very good piece in today’s Sunday Times about Southgate and England.  His take is that Southgate is a better ambassador for the game than coach.  He’s risk averse and over-values players who can “do a job” whilst under-valuing those than can change the game.

TBF i cannot remember an England manager who wasn't like that

As Vulva says - Hoddle and Le Tiss

Ironically it was Hoddle that put the tin hat on Le Tissier as an England player

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geedee said:

England are to world football what Wednesday are to club football. Big enough to have the odd good run but not part of the elite.

It seems to be my lot in life to support teams like this.

Southgate’s obsession with this crap formation is similar to Monk’s... both sacked by Middlesbrough too

• Haha 2

Didn’t watch the game. Sounds like we dominated much of it despite the formation/line up. 

Not many England fans seem overly happy with Garryeth Monkgate though. 

We’re always either could do better or should do better.... but ultimately don’t do any better 😭

Football is a simple game, put the ball in the net and stop the other team doing the same.

Belgium have quality players who play as a team, keep their shape and make it hard to score against them. They attack with pace and purpose.

England have individual players at both ends of the pitch, those individuals will win games against lesser opposition and that feeds the delusion that were a good team.

I take nothing from that performance in defeat from the the likes of Grealish who look pretty but run around in circles long enough for the opposition to get into their defensive shape. You get no goals for fancy flicks, no goals for being the most fouled player on the pitch...

You don't need to win your individual battle, you don't need to go on a mazy run past three players, you need to run into space and pass into space and ultimately put the ball in the onion bag, which we rarely looked like doing despite all the possession and "dominance".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beswetherick said:

Southgate’s obsession with this crap formation is similar to Monk’s... both sacked by Middlesbrough too

Managers are easy scapegoats in the time I have followed England and Wednesday the vast majority of the problems have been at board level rather than in the dug out.

I personally think this England squad has a huge amount of talent in attacking areas.

Southgate has built up a lot of goodwill as manager and got the nation behind the England team when the relationship between fan and country was at all time low.

But, he is now becoming too negative. He doesn’t trust his centre halves and maybe goalkeeper and as a consequence he is putting 3 centre halves on the pitch. He then goes with 2 defensive central midfielders. I knew he would do this last night and Southgate didn’t let me down.

We need to ditch this formation and go with 4-3-3. Have Maguire and Mings as centre halves and have done with it. If he wants to play Henderson and rice as part of a midfield 3 in the bigger games, ok.

But when we have so many good attacking options, I just find it criminal that we may not be utilising them. 

The set up is just so negative.

We pretty much lined up with seven defensive players and had zero pace in the attacking areas.

Absolutely no need to have both Henderson and Rice sitting in midfield. Also - anyone who has seen Liverpool (hard not to) will know that Henderson is much better when he's playing more advanced up the pitch. 

Honestly, it is like watching England if Garry Monk was in charge.