Pulis deal could be a LONG TERM one

1 minute ago, The Night-Owl said:

Aye, probably not, it's across Facebook and Twitter too but he's gone with and against the fans feelings before but my thinking is that he should be aware of the negativity surrounding Pulis' reputation or style of football and management.

It was said, he was close to getting the job or was considered last time but instead DC went for the equally dull football of Monk. It just seems like a choice that will be divisive but DC is the owner, he lacks footballing knowledge and hasn't brought in ant footballing people to help him run the club and whoever he appoints it's difficult to see it being a success with how we're run as a club. 

I’m no massive advocate of TP but I just look at the situation we are in, what exactly were we hoping for? A manager like Lowe who has done well in lower league playing good football is not at all suited to us right now. It might not be pretty what TP brings us but there’s a very good chance it will be effective 

7 minutes ago, Carbone said:

I’m no massive advocate of TP but I just look at the situation we are in, what exactly were we hoping for? A manager like Lowe who has done well in lower league playing good football is not at all suited to us right now. It might not be pretty what TP brings us but there’s a very good chance it will be effective 

There are different ways to get results. Monk's dire negative football hasn't been getting results since last Christmas, as we don't seem to have the players to suit that way of playing.

Pulis has been out of the game for two years, a bit like Carlos and Jos, he's arguably in decline and past his best. The past few years ever since Carlos' first season have been dull and we've been a mess of a club, how does appointing Pulis improve things?

I'd personally like some excitement back or something I can see enough in to believe in again. It's depressing and grim being a Wednesday fan, apart from several exciting years in the 80s and 90s, and briefly a couple of times since, it's been horrific and DC's lack of leadership and lack of footballing knowledge, doesn't fill me with any confidence that things are going to be any different. 

Edited by The Night-Owl

1 minute ago, The Night-Owl said:

There are different ways to get results. Monk's dire negative football hasn't been getting results since last Christmas, as we don't seem to have the players to suit that way of playing. Pulis has been out of the game for two years, a bit like Carlos and Jos, he's arguably in decline and past his best. The past few years ever since Carlos' first season have been dull and we've been a mess of a club, how does appointing Pulis improve things? I'd personally like some excitement back or something I can see enough in to believe in again. It's depressing and grim being a Wednesday fan, apart from several exciting years in the 80s and 90s, and briefly a couple of times since, it's been horrific and DC's lack of leadership and lack of footballing knowledge doesn't fill me with any confidence that things are going to be any different. 

Wouldn’t say Carlos is past his best, he’s managing Braga

Who do you think we should get in who could achieve effective attractive football with this set of players? That’s the key for me. Pulis has a much better record than Monk. 

3 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Short-termist outdated thinking will backfire and eventually take us back in one direction and it won't be upwards. Our recruitment of managers is a lot like our player recruitment, focused on has beens or those that have spent time out. 

This is very true, unfortunately. 

I'm hoping (really, really hoping) that Pulis can do here what Colin manged at Cardiff...not likely, but you never know. 

As you say though, is Pulis really an appointment that a club thinking long term makes? 

Probably not. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Carbone said:

Who do you think we should get in who could achieve effective attractive football with this set of players? That’s the key for me. Pulis has a much better record than Monk. 

What THE Braga?? 

17 minutes ago, Carbone said:

Aye, Pulis' record is much better than Monk's. He's more effective at that kind of negative stop the opposition playing type of football. I liked Carlos in his first two season's, he was almost a masterstroke appointment to be fair but only Bruce's appointment excited me out of all the appointments DC's made so far and Bruce couldn't wait to get out of the club.

The appointments DC's made, have all seemed risky and ill thought out, lacking anything to believe in or any long term thinking. The Bruce appointment felt different to me and excited me but he didn't stick around to see it out due to how poorly we're being ran as a club.

Personally, I most hoped for another Bruce type appointment, someone like Pearson, Howe or Jokanovic but that seemed unrealistic. Whilst, I'd also have liked a forward thinking appointment like Lowe or Cook.

Either way, whomever was appointed, inexperienced or experienced, defensive or attacking or whatever, we need to sort things out off the pitch too and until we do that we'll be unattractive to decent managers and equally unattractive to up and coming managers. 

Edited by The Night-Owl
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Carbone said:

I never said Carlos was past his best, I was alluding to it being a risky appointment at the time, with him having been out of the game for a fair while like Jos and Pulis. And was also alluding to Pulis and Monk being in decline in their careers, despite their vast age difference.

Bruce's appointment felt different in a way to me but we don't seem to be a club that thinks long term or seems to have strong enough a set up to do that, due to DC's way of running the club. 

43 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

There are different ways to get results. Monk's dire negative football hasn't been getting results since last Christmas, as we don't seem to have the players to suit that way of playing.

Pulis has been out of the game for two years, a bit like Carlos and Jos, he's arguably in decline and past his best. The past few years ever since Carlos' first season have been dull and we've been a mess of a club, how does appointing Pulis improve things?

I'd personally like some excitement back or something I can see enough in to believe in again. It's depressing and grim being a Wednesday fan, apart from several exciting years in the 80s and 90s, and briefly a couple of times since, it's been horrific and DC's lack of leadership and lack of footballing knowledge, doesn't fill me with any confidence that things are going to be any different. 

I think that little lot is straight out of your bucket list. You can accuse Pulis of many things but no knowing the game isn't one of them. Likewise DC the CEO and DOF issues are both dead ducks , machines for throwing money away. 

17 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I think that little lot is straight out of your bucket list. You can accuse Pulis of many things but no knowing the game isn't one of them. Likewise DC the CEO and DOF issues are both dead ducks , machines for throwing money away. 

I didn't say or accuse Pulis of not knowing the game. I said he was out of the management game, like our other appointments, in particular Carlos and Jos were for a fair while before being appointed. Before that time out he appeared on the decline. 

Pulis is an experienced manager with a much better proven record than Monk but to me he seems on the wane, on a downwards trajectory after doing well at the likes of Stoke and Palace. I would say that DC doesn't help himself with the way he runs the club and many of his appointments appear as reckless, short-termist or ill advised as many of his schemes.

Hopefully Pulis will do well, no matter who's the Wednesday manager, at the end of the day, managers and players come and go, being likable as no relevance but with managers like Pulis results are what's most important because the football will be dull to watch. Like it's been for the majority of the last few years, ever since after Carlos' first season. 

Edited by The Night-Owl

Thanks once again to Mr Paixao. Another fantastic bit of business for Sheffield Wednesday. Glad to see he’s putting the club first and not his own pockets.

The fact that Paxo remains such a prominent and influential figure at this club all these years later is so utterly mystifying. 

He was there prior to Chansiri buying the club and his influence and power seems to have grown ever since. 

• Like 1

You just have to hope that Pulis is motivated and wants to actually achieve something here. It might not be pretty, but if Pulis can be arsed, he will likely get us going in the right direction with respect to the table. 

My fear is he strikes me as the type to know a dumb and rich owner who can be taken advantage of. 

Edited by SiJ