Pulis deal could be a LONG TERM one

1 hour ago, Devonstrix said:

Your comment re his 'worse' win ratio than Monk at Boro is a tad disingenuous though. (Not that I’m a Pulis fan, far from it). Both had good ratios with Monk on 46% and Pulis on 44%. The big difference was Monk was in charge for a mere 26 matches, whereas Pulis was there for three times as long with 80 games in charge. 

Still worse. You could also argue Monk had the harder task of stemming decline following relegation, they were 9th when he was sacked. Pulis inherited a top 10 team, not bottom 3.

Middlesbrough press reported they wanted a change from the ultra defensive football of Karanka and appointed Monk on the back of Swansea's expansive football. They they then  replaced him with Pulis....You couldn't make this poo up! Then as we know they were so desperate to get rid of Pulis, they appointed Woodgate (which I think was even a surprise to Woodgate).

Can interpret the figures to fit any narrative, mine or those prepared to tolerate Pulis, but the red flags are there. We all know the football, almost universally despised by fans of his previous clubs (who all say the same thing) and sued by two of his previous clubs. 

As a fact his win ratio was worse that Monk, during his tenure. My point is that there is no guarantee of picking up points which some think is a given with Pulis.

• Like 1

Any appointment, long or short term, would be bad for us. Even if he manages to keep us in the division, unbelievably the ambition of some, and then leaves, it’s time enough to ruin some of our youngsters. We’ve already seen what effect Monk’s attritional tactics have had on our development sides, so imagine how they’d be asked to play under Pulis. Nothing can be build under Pulis, because the approach is unsustainable. Cant believe our chairman is even considering it

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

Seeing as I was lucky with my post on Monday, asking DC to make our day and dispense with Monk's services, I’m doing a similar one this morning!

Could today be the day that DC decides to give us our best opportunity of avoiding totally mind numbing football and instead of appointing Poolis appoint someone with a bit of flair, style and imagination to give us back our pride in this wonderful football club. Somebody like Paul Cook or Ryan Lowe. 

Now is the time for one good man to come to the aid of our beloved Wednesday. 

WAWAW

Good post, hope it works!

I don't think we're even asking for flair, just some football with an intent to score a goal will do. 

All we're asking for is some joy to watch us, rather than deliberately making it a chore.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Any appointment, long or short term, would be bad for us. Even if he manages to keep us in the division, unbelievably the ambition of some, and then leaves, it’s time enough to ruin some of our youngsters. We’ve already seen what effect Monk’s attritional tactics have had on our development sides, so imagine how they’d be asked to play under Pulis. Nothing can be build under Pulis, because the approach is unsustainable. Cant believe our chairman is even considering it

Well we should have been careful what we wished for, a nightmare appointment on every level. When TP has cashed in and gone, we will be left with a load of aging journey men.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, striker said:

Good post, hope it works!

I don't think we're even asking for flair, just some football with an intent to score a goal will do. 

All we're asking for is some joy to watch us, rather than deliberately making it a chore.

If its goals your looking for TP is definitely not the one.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

We are bottom of every league....championship ( excl 6pts )....U 23s.....U18s ...Lady’s team ...........We need someone to come in and totally change the losing ..soft touch ..scared to play ... mentality of the players..top to bottom........If pulis joins..he will do this ..... we will be a big .. hardworking aggressive team that will never gives up .....personally I’m sick of being the team that always loses in the last minutes...other teams get their first win against..........

I’m sick of being bored and enduring 90minutes of tedium. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

If its goals your looking for TP is definitely not the one.

For the season he left, they scored 49 goals! (Conceding 41)....

"The atmosphere at home games became toxic on occasions when supporters voiced their displeasure by labelling Pulis' style as "Jurassic".

Just now, rickygoo said:

I’m sick of being bored and enduring 90minutes of tedium. 

We’ve been shocking to watch for years ...people are making out we  are like Barcelona and pulis will destroy this 😂😂......We are s shockingly run club... even before pulis takes over ....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

We’ve been shocking to watch for years ...people are making out we  are like Barcelona and pulis will destroy this 😂😂......We are s shockingly run club... even before pulis takes over ....

No, people accept we've been poor to watch and don't want that to get even worse. 

I agree, we are not well run though, DC is proving that with this appointment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, striker said:

For the season he left, they scored 49 goals! (Conceding 41)....

"The atmosphere at home games became toxic on occasions when supporters voiced their displeasure by labelling Pulis' style as "Jurassic".

It is Jurassic. Now more than ever it's not enough just to do enough to get by. We need some entertainment, fans demand it because of the high prices we fans pay. The thought if this guy managing us a d coaching our players old and young scares me. It could set our club back even further than we are. The argument that we need him to get us out of this mess does not sit well. We are not cut adrift from everyone else so chances of staying up are better than 2 weeks back.

• Like 1

Just now, @owlstalk said:

£40 to watch a Tony Pulis team

The more you think about it the more amazing that the Chairman has pulled this off 

Who is going to pay that? I'm not. 

If it was £20, I wouldn't pay it. In fact I won't pay a single penny to watch a Pulis team. 

Some others will, some won't. But Chansiri's delusion grows if he thinks attendances won't be impacted. It's going to be an unknown as it is getting fans back in stadiums.

Best dig deeper in his pocket if he continues with this appalling managerial appointment. He's going to be the one paying more to watch utter dogshit. 

17 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

I love this line of reasoning.

We've played crap for years so that means we've got no right to want anything better

• Like 1

As long as we are winning games, I’m not that bothered what football we play. We’ve been of the Premier League for too long, and I’m coming round to the idea of a method manager. 

We’re not in a position financially or football wise to start claiming total football is the only way out. Let’s lump it long, box em in and bully teams. Hillsborough has been a walk in the park for far too long. Our record indicates clubs like coming here. 

As a club, and especially as a fan base we appear obsessed with being liked. It’s a bit weird. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

If you put the style of football to one side, Pulis is a very expensive option as a manager.  I have no doubt he will be our highest paid manager in our history by some distance, and comes with an army of people to help usually.  It is a massive financial gamble by the Chairman in challenging times.  We would be able to hire Lowe for 20% of what Pulis will cost us.  On that basis alone I wouldn't be hiring TP. 

• Like 3

Just now, Gob_Bluth said:

I love this line of reasoning.

We've played crap for years so that means we've got no right to want anything better

What do you call better ???..... We have a team that hasn’t won 2 games on the trot for nearly a year ... bottom of every league/every age group ....just lost to Luton / Rotherham/ Wycombe in the same week without scoring....we are not a football force .. never have been ....the 6 points back from the EFL has sugar coated our real position........We will never get any better with deluded fans thinking we can change overnight.......Puli will make us hard to beat ...which for me is a start

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

What do you call better ???..... We have a team that hasn’t won 2 games on the trot for nearly a year ... bottom of every league/every age group ....just lost to Luton / Rotherham/ Wycombe in the same week without scoring....we are not a football force .. never have been ....the 6 points back from the EFL has sugar coated our real position........We will never get any better with deluded fans thinking we can change overnight.......Puli will make us hard to beat ...which for me is a start

Pulis lost 6 in a row at Boro the season he left. Not immune to losing games.