BREAKING NEWS - GARRY MONK IS GONE

1 minute ago, John Howard said:

So in the Summer Monk was backed totally ....backroom staff .... 8 new players .

Said at the time he should have been sacked not backed ....

New Manager now has to work with Monks rejects 

In DC   we trust  ??????  

Monk didn't recruit the players mate

Owlstalk Shop

Incompetence and crisis usually are good bedfellows, and we are showing plenty of both to last us a fair while.  

I'm genuinely shocked by the timing of the sacking, not because of Monk himself, but because of the coaching staff that we've spent ages waiting for, and fired in the blink of an eye.  If you're buying lower quality players, then you have to put in the effort to improve those players.  You don't become Mo Farah just by doing a few laps of Hillsborough Park.  It takes commitment and training and time, anyone who thinks a goalkeeping coach can turn Dawson in to Banks in a few weeks needs their head feeling.

We need coaches, we need training staff, we need these people whether they are Monk's men or not.  They should be employees of SWFC, not employees of transitory managers.  They are not luxuries, or passing by, they are essential for the running of our first-team operations.

"But we don't have time".

Oh yes we do.  We've had 20 years of short-termism, quick fire appointments, get-rich quick solutions and we are worse off than 20 years ago.   

Short-termism always loses out to long-termism.  Sacking managers every few years does not work.  Want proof?  Google "Sheffield Wednesday Managers".  The proof is in S6, right under our noses. 

You might think it does work, but it doesn't.  It might even feel that it's working, but long-term, ,think again.  What works is hiring the right man to begin with, and backing him with his players, his style and his tactics, and giving him time.   You don't turn human beings around as quickly as cheat mode in Football Manager.

Anyway, back to the usual "names".  Haven't a clue about most of them myself and I'm sure most fans on here don't either, but of course I've heard of them, so I'll regurgitate these names like a parrot and pretend I know what I'm on about.  Cometh the day that Mr newManager loses three in a row, I 100% guarantee you that there'll be moaners saying "told you so", "job's too big", "get rid", "should have gone for the other one", "lost the dressing room" etc.  

I've got no malice towards Monk, it's a ruthless business and he knows the score, but I do have sympathy for Beattie et al and feel we are shooting ourselves in the foot, both financially and in terms of football.  I'm not yet sure that we've cured ourselves of our own incompetence as a club and a business, so let's hope the new man can raise the quality throughout the club.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Manwë said:

Incompetence and crisis usually are good bedfellows, and we are showing plenty of both to last us a fair while.  

I'm genuinely shocked by the timing of the sacking, not because of Monk himself, but because of the coaching staff that we've spent ages waiting for, and fired in the blink of an eye.  If you're buying lower quality players, then you have to put in the effort to improve those players.  You don't become Mo Farah just by doing a few laps of Hillsborough Park.  It takes commitment and training and time, anyone who thinks a goalkeeping coach can turn Dawson in to Banks in a few weeks needs their head feeling.

We need coaches, we need training staff, we need these people whether they are Monk's men or not.  They should be employees of SWFC, not employees of transitory managers.  They are not luxuries, or passing by, they are essential for the running of our first-team operations.

"But we don't have time".

Oh yes we do.  We've had 20 years of short-termism, quick fire appointments, get-rich quick solutions and we are worse off than 20 years ago.   

Short-termism always loses out to long-termism.  Sacking managers every few years does not work.  Want proof?  Google "Sheffield Wednesday Managers".  The proof is in S6, right under our noses. 

You might think it does work, but it doesn't.  It might even feel that it's working, but long-term, ,think again.  What works is hiring the right man to begin with, and backing him with his players, his style and his tactics, and giving him time.   You don't turn human beings around as quickly as cheat mode in Football Manager.

Anyway, back to the usual "names".  Haven't a clue about most of them myself and I'm sure most fans on here don't either, but of course I've heard of them, so I'll regurgitate these names like a parrot and pretend I know what I'm on about.  Cometh the day that Mr newManager loses three in a row, I 100% guarantee you that there'll be moaners saying "told you so", "job's too big", "get rid", "should have gone for the other one", "lost the dressing room" etc.  

I've got no malice towards Monk, it's a ruthless business and he knows the score, but I do have sympathy for Beattie et al and feel we are shooting ourselves in the foot, both financially and in terms of football.  I'm not yet sure that we've cured ourselves of our own incompetence as a club and a business, so let's hope the new man can raise the quality throughout the club.

No you become Mo Farah by taking a poo load of PEDs(allegedly).  We shouldn't be looking at that route....

6 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Who would you like to see in the hot seat?

I won’t pretend it’s an easy question to answer because it’s not just about playing style and tactics (the playing side) but we as a club also require a manager that can manage the chairman to the extent they can obtain control of or at least influence our player transfer activity. This requires experience and a baggage of staff (like Bruce and I assume the more experienced names in the running like Pulis etc). 

As such, even if I like the idea of giving the job to a young, up and coming coach (Simon Weaver or Ryan Lowe for example), I am doubtful they could get the transfer reigns from Chansiri to allow them to recruit to match their style. I think the same would be true for the Cowleys. I may be wrong and Chansiri will allow this. If so, I would go with Weaver or Lowe and do a slow patient build with a new style of play. 

however, as I don’t think the above will happen (largely because Chansiri doesn’t think we need a rebuild because he’s a nutter) I think I would go for Pulis or Paul Cook.

If it’s just me picking without the bullshit considerations above and it’s just who I want: Nigel Pearson (for a quicker turnaround) or Simon Weaver (for the slower rebuild).

But I’m just a knobhead so what do I know lol

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, prowl said:

Monk going is the least surprising, surprise I can imagine.

DC being decisive is more of a surprise but he did telegraph the move last week on his press day, 'current manager' was a giveaway. Maybe he is learning, we will tell if he is by how quickly he installs a new manager, if it's this week he's learning if it's 6 weeks before he does it, he's learnt nothing.

I supported Monk while he was here, good luck to him in the future but we move on.

I will support the new manager unless it's Jos. DC wouldn't do that would he? Just to teach us a lesson? No, I hope not.

Onwards and upwards hopefully.

Recycling old managers didn't work for Watford. Hope they didn't give Chansiri ideas.