Youngsters playing in the cup - have they impressed you?

Impressed.

People will bang on about playing too many at once, too soon, too strong an opposition but ask any of those lads how they feel and you'll have your answer!!!

We don't have the luxury of risking our best players in the League Cup. 

Not a Monk fan but his flawless start continues because he did the right thing again tonight. If anything he was let down by two or three of the older heads in the team.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 3

Glad to be out, save the players..at whatever level.. we need to close the deficit..keep as many players fit as we can... staying in the league is the main aim.. can't rely on the appeal. Last 2 seasons... l**ds and the pigs went out of the cups early and then could concentrate  on the league... they were promoted 😩

• Like 2

1 minute ago, papalazarowl said:

Glad to be out, save the players..at whatever level.. we need to close the deficit..keep as many players fit as we can... staying in the league is the main aim.. can't rely on the appeal. Last 2 seasons... l**ds and the pigs went out of the cups early and then could concentrate  on the league... they were promoted 😩

Wondered how long it would be before you mentioned the pigs...

Absolutely yes, showed more desire , commitment and passion than the passengers we carry week in and week out , reach , Rhodes, palmer ect , sooner watch the kids than than these supposedly senior pros, how many more years are we going to wait for reach to find his true position or Rhodes to find his goal scoring form of 5 years ago , play the kids , sick of these has / never has beens ,delighted for all the kids tonight 

49 minutes ago, OwlsfaninNorway said:

So, the Mickey Mouse cup is over. But it has brought important experience to plenty of youngsters.

Have any of them impressed you to the extent that you would want them to start league games? Either immediately or maybe in the near future?

Can't answer this question until I've seen Neil's form table.

In my opinion this is the best crop of young players we’ve had in almost 20 years since the days of Quinn, Bromby and Geary who went on to be premier league players (for a bit).  Ideally it would be good for some of the kids to go out on loan for a few months to get regular football 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Owls-Fan said:

In my opinion this is the best crop of young players we’ve had in almost 20 years since the days of Quinn, Bromby and Geary who went on to be premier league players (for a bit).  Ideally it would be good for some of the kids to go out on loan for a few months to get regular football 

Oh god, here we go..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daveyboy66 said:

Wondered how long it would be before you mentioned the pigs...

Me personally? Or in general? The pigs went out of the cups and so did Leeds in their promotion seasons... less games... more rest and not chasing a cup final that they wouldn't get to.

The experience will have done them the world of good - well that’s what I’m sure the management team are hoping or they definitely aren’t ready to step up.

Think that Dele-Bashiru, Hunt, Urhoghide, Shaw and probably Adedoyin will stay in and around the first team picture. The likes of Brennan and Waldock may benefit from loan spells at League Two clubs (or Non-League). This means we still could do with new faces on a depleted U23 squad.

Guest Therealrealist
29 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Can't believe they didn't absolutely batter Fulham with their £100M+ team. I simply cannot believe it. 

Oh stop bein silly..it’s a sensible thread with sensible reply’s..until your effort

They are in with a chance, but at most of our rivals, wouldn’t be near the first team. They are in the team by default, either because we don’t have anyone else, or Monk is trying to make a statement to the chairman Don’t think any of them have let us down, but they are what they are, development players making up the numbers

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

They are in with a chance, but at most of our rivals, wouldn’t be near the first team. They are in the team by default, either because we don’t have anyone else, or Monk is trying to make a statement to the chairman Don’t think any of them have let us down, but they are what they are, development players making up the numbers

You say they are making up the numbers but they for the most part were as good or even better than some of the senior pros who were playing alongside them tonight. Like it or not, by default or not, these lads are a part of the squad this season.

None are ready yet, but that's okay.

Ideally they'd go out on loan, but if that's not going to be an option (because they might be occasionally needed), then lets hope they can keep getting enough game time to progress.

Overall though, I actually am impressed. Hunt looks the standout and closest to challenging for a first team spot, but Shaw also has a lot about him, as does Dele-Bashiru, but even with Brennan and Waldock, I'm impressed enough with young players that can come in and play with enough confidence to give you belief that they can and will improve.

They all of them make a fair amount of mistakes, but they get on with it and don't let the occasion swallow them whole - and that, at least, is something to be said for the lack of crowds, as now's probably a good time to be getting your first first-team minutes - yes, it'll make the occasion all the less memorable for them, but it's at least one less source of nerves for the inexperienced players.

3 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

Why call the only silverware we’ve won in the last 3 decades the ‘Mickey Mouse Cup’?

Great point.

I think it’s fair to say it can’t be our priority this season but for those of us at the old Wembley Stadium that day it’s still one of our most cherished moments.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1