Youngsters playing in the cup - have they impressed you?

10 hours ago, OwlsfaninNorway said:

So, the Mickey Mouse cup is over. But it has brought important experience to plenty of youngsters.

Have any of them impressed you to the extent that you would want them to start league games? Either immediately or maybe in the near future?

All of them.

It is all part of their development and I was presently surprised. 

They are not ready yet except in an emergency (and only one or two at a time) but we look like we have some for the future. 

Now cup is over may be time for loan moves for some of them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ny owl said:

Jos found out the hard way that promoting players from an academy that hasn't produced a decent player in 40 years was a mistake. 

Great short post ny owl.  So true as well.

Luhukay brought in youngsters and won some support on here for that but it was a charade because they were nowhere near Championship level..  Apart from Penny look where the others habve ended up now:

Ash Baker - Newport County (Subs bench)

Connor Kirby - Harrogate Town

Fraser Preston - Boston United

As ny owl says the problem lies with one of the worst and most unproductive Academies in the entire four divisions.

Compare our Academy to the League 2 Exeter City Academy for example and their recent graduates:

George Friend - Boro lb, now Birmingham cb

Matt Grimes - Swansea City midfield

Ollie Watkins - Aston Villa striker (£32 million transfer fee)

Ethan Ampadu - Chelsea defender/midfield

Those who have been/are involved in the SWFC Academy should hang their heads in shame.

54 minutes ago, S25OWL said:

i find it interesting that the youngsters say they feel more confident having their teammates around them rather than senior players - well after the performance last night from some of the senior players you can understand why 😉

You mean they feel more comfortable playing alongside their mates that they’ve played alongside, trained alongside and travelled alongside for the last few years?

Shocking. Can’t believe it.

Hunt and Shaw are good prospects............although i dont like Monk playing Shaw out of position.

Waldock and Grant also have promise , need to see more of Dele Bashiru.

The one who,s selection surprised me is Brennan...........never really stood out for me when i have watched the young uns and i would have Isaac Rice ahead of him for a centre back place.

1 minute ago, sheriwozgod said:

Hunt and Shaw are good prospects............although i dont like Monk playing Shaw out of position.

Waldock and Grant also have promise , need to see more of Dele Bashiru.

The one who,s selection surprised me is Brennan...........never really stood out for me when i have watched the young uns and i would have Isaac Rice ahead of him for a centre back place.

I was surprised that Brennan was kept on, and I know a few of the regular watchers felt the same, but he must have put in some good performances while out on loan. Mel Sterland had himself a good career, after being fancied to be released from the academy

On 24/09/2020 at 18:57, gurujuan said:

I was surprised that Brennan was kept on, and I know a few of the regular watchers felt the same, but he must have put in some good performances while out on loan. Mel Sterland had himself a good career, after being fancied to be released from the academy

Indeed he did league winner England and Scotland, full international. The mighty Zico .