Is this the real Garry Monk?

Think people have clearly forgotten the global pandemic and 3 week Pre Season most teams have had. Yesterday was our 2nd game since July, and the first one wasn’t even competitive. 

No team will come out the blocks firing on all cylinders, especially not us.

If we’re still on minuses come mid-October I don’t think the panic button needs to be getting hit. The start to this season is going to be a slow plodding mess for every team. Don’t be surprised if teams you expect to be at the top at the bottom, and vice versa. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cookeh said:

Yep, all those saying "judge monk once he's got his feet under the table"

Well they're firmly under now.. and he's fielded a team with no strikers in it, getting past a div 4 side in a penalty lottery.

The problem is not the players, or the squad, or the chairman (right now).. it's this dullard of a manager.

Happened to Derby and Cardiff... They must have crap managers as well... Better players than ours I'm sure you would aggree

• Like 2

For the last 40 years, one thing has never ever changed.

people still make judgments based on friendlies and league cup matches (and even the first few league matches).

And 40 years has told me that neither the performances or results are any gauge whatsoever of how the season will go.

Yet I still know that for the next 40 years, the same conclusions will still be reached after a lacklustre cup performance v Burton Albion.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

I've got an old series two Landrover in my garage that's a work in progress restoring it, it's taken me 5 years so far and it still ain't done. Missus has been doing her nut for years as she can't get her motor in the garage. 

If I was your missus, I'd move you into the garage and the Land Rover in to the house.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Plonk said:

Cheers. That’s nine games to the end of October. What do they think would be an acceptable points return from those games for him to keep his job. The last two of the nine or rotherham and Wycombe. A poor start and lose those two could be the tipping point. 

I'd say we need to be on at least 1 - 3 pointd by end October given the fixtures. That would be c70 points for the season if you were to pro-rata but we will have played a few of the "easy" teams. 

5 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Normally I'd agree with you but...in December we have a game every three of four days and I think that we have to be up and running by then if not we might not be able to claw back any points we might need

Yes, I said normally but if you read the full post I then go on to say its not a normal situation so would assess end of October after we've played the likes of Rotherham, Wycombe and Luton. 

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Bruce said it would take FOUR transfer windows to sort Sheffield Wednesday out and get us out of this mess

How many has Monk had?

Plus - Bruce cleared off didn't he

I don’t think Bruce ever referred to it as a mess. He said there were some players underperforming and that it was a tough job, but he talked positively about getting us into the Prem  and this being his last job potentially.  Of course, he wasn’t to know that Newcastle would come knocking at the door when he said that.

He took over a team that was playing relegation football and got them playing play-off football, Monk took over a team playing play off football and by the end of the season had us playing relegation football again.

I love the use of FOUR though, you made your point with that. 

• Like 1

Sick of all these let's give Monk a chance Bolderdash !!! Four transfer windows !!! Are you all that stupid. Come on this isn't his first game, he hasn't shown ANYTHING AT ALL !!! What are you talking about we payed a league 2 side we looked flat and our new recruits looked like they are  disastrous waste of time. We are -12 points with a shocking manager who could inspire anyone! He's depressing. You can say he's got his own team in and players but so what, the players are not good enough we haven't bought quality in just bottom of the league players. How long are you going to give him a chance for...... Because every game lost will in effect increase the points minus. Unless there are three teams who are not going to get any points for several weeks our season will be done very quickly . Right now we have a weaker squad with a failure in charge and minus 12 points!!!! I know I sound extreme but right now this could get us relegated with Monk. When he is sacked who will want to take us on then and if they do we would be in a worse place then we are now! 

Sticking your heads in the sand and crying let's be positive won't do any good at all. Monk is done Chansiri unfortunately has made so many mistakes because he's only known football for a few years. There is nothing to be positive about that's why I'm so angry that we are flogging a dead horse. How many games in before you accept that and then will we be doomed....