Is this the real Garry Monk?

On 07/09/2020 at 21:05, parajack said:

Doesnt matter what other clubs have done does it? given the circumstances at Hillsborough.How many Clubs had a manager(Jos) who sidelined players(justifiably in my view) but was in other ways not good enough,to be replaced by another manager Bruce,who than builds up players confidence,despite the threat of a points deduction pending(which could have relegated us) but certainly meant we were unlikely to finish anywhere near the play offs.

Only to than do one his self,after 18 games only,for yet another manager to come in...Bound to unsettle players...just plain common sense....Its not left field at all.Bruce had just had two operations & a number of bereavements and was in effect 'convalescing' on holiday.Anybody watching the goings on at Newcastle could have surmised that the managers job was very shortly going to come up..

If that was his real ambition,thats what he should have done...Bruce was offered the job before by the way,& turned it down in 2004 https://www.themag.co.uk/2019/12/steve-bruce-threatened-with-a-shovel-by-his-family-when-offered-newcastle-united-job/ when Bobby Robson left.. So it was pretty much a done deal that Mike Ashley would come for him again in my view(didnt have to apply they allegedly approached him)  I dont imply Bruce leaving would have been the only reason a relegation might have happened,i meant his leaving could well have been the catalyst for what followed.

I didn't realise he'd been offered it before but I still think you are talking from your point of view not Bruce's. Why shouldn't he want to manage us, if he's offered the job. If we are talking conjecture, which you seem to be using heavily, how do you know he didn't say to Chansiri all the things you've mentioned (look I'm taking a break, I'm interested in the Newcastle job if it comes up etc) and Chansiri said we still want you. 

Anyhow, can you send me the next few managerial changes that are likely in 6/12 months or more so that I can back them now and make millions. In fact, you probably have done that yourself already if you can foresee done deals 6 months in advance. 

3 hours ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Last year Fletcher was the best striker by far, without doubt, but that was in the team setting that was played. Let's not forget he's not akways been 1st choice at Hillsborough. Its all conjecture. I'm using results and performances to say there are far better managers than Monk in my opinion, you are using other facts to justify why last season got worse and worse so that for the last half of the season we were relegation form. 

Let's hope your interpretation is right and Monk proves his credentials this year. 

As for DCs choice of manager I'm not convinced by DCs ability to chose a good one based on how he's gone so far, but as you've said it's his choice to make. 

As for the big club discussion, I was referring to our potential not our current situation. Our neighbours for sure have moved well beyond us but football can be cyclical and history tends to show that over time we have been the bigger club in the city. If you ask fans around the country, the majority will still say we are potentially a big club and the point is we should be aiming for that. Leeds got Bielsa using that mentality, we got Charlton for the same reason. Having said that, in the past 25 years I have rarely seen the club make the right decisions and sadly DC has got far more wrong than right (prices for his 1st ever match in charge is one example - such a simple decision then to make it £20 not £40 and he'd have filled the stadium and set the ball rolling. That could well have lead to better players wanting to sign etc, but he decided to go down the short-term gain route). 

it is distinctly probable that there are better managers than monk, i fully imagine even monk will agree to that.

however how many 'better' managers do you see busting a gut to get to this four ringed circus? or to put it another way, a club in this (almost) no win situation?

i'll be totally honest with you, i do believe you want monk out that badly you're willing to attempt to turn anything at all to prove your point.

BUT the cold FACTS are monk got us to third, fletcher was the only forward of any note or worth (and now some of us realise his electric form was perhaps his shop window form) then we lost fletcher to what appears injury for just about the entire rest of the season.

i, dc, monk, and the bulk of our fans are not looking into the future to see who is the biggest, the present big ATTRACTION in sheffield football, is the pigs charging £20 a game for premier footy, and us charging £40 a game for lower end championship footy, there's only one outcome for wednesday support over the next 2 to 20 years.

may i advise you to get a calculator out and make an attempt at understanding the running costs of swfc, dropping the gate price to £20 when dc came was an option, perhaps not so now.

5 hours ago, dorian gray said:

it is distinctly probable that there are better managers than monk, i fully imagine even monk will agree to that.

however how many 'better' managers do you see busting a gut to get to this four ringed circus? or to put it another way, a club in this (almost) no win situation?

i'll be totally honest with you, i do believe you want monk out that badly you're willing to attempt to turn anything at all to prove your point.

BUT the cold FACTS are monk got us to third, fletcher was the only forward of any note or worth (and now some of us realise his electric form was perhaps his shop window form) then we lost fletcher to what appears injury for just about the entire rest of the season.

i, dc, monk, and the bulk of our fans are not looking into the future to see who is the biggest, the present big ATTRACTION in sheffield football, is the pigs charging £20 a game for premier footy, and us charging £40 a game for lower end championship footy, there's only one outcome for wednesday support over the next 2 to 20 years.

may i advise you to get a calculator out and make an attempt at understanding the running costs of swfc, dropping the gate price to £20 when dc came was an option, perhaps not so now.

Your reply really made me chuckle. I will support Monk and will get behind the team. Ive never once booed the team or a player or a manager. I dont want Monk out now, now is the time to support him, I just believe we should have been bolder preseason in what we did. 

I've not really said anything that you can dispute, you just see it differently. Plus I'm not an armchair fan, I've been to over 100 grounds supporting them, not that it entitles me to anything. 

As for the manger point again, Bielsa joined Leeds knowing he was working for a club that was in utter turmoil etc etc. I just believe there were better options and you asked me to name one so I did. 

I'm not an accountant but I have degree equivalent financial expertise and have worked in the financial industry all my life. I do have a grasp of our predicament and i didnt even imply we should drop prices now, albeit Covid kind of throws everything into the unknown there. The point again was that it was DCs first decision to put up prices and that was unfortunately a sign of things to come. Oh and I'm not against DC either, he's a guy who went in too deep and probably his ethics and cultural upbringing have backfired, even though he had the right intentions. 

If you want to ask me a question I'll reply, but if you want to post the last word then feel free because we've debated this to death and I've taken the view we disagree and see thiings differently so we probably could go on forever. As long as we both have SWFC at heart let's agree to disagree 

On 09/09/2020 at 17:51, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Your reply really made me chuckle. I will support Monk and will get behind the team. Ive never once booed the team or a player or a manager. I dont want Monk out now, now is the time to support him, I just believe we should have been bolder preseason in what we did. 

I've not really said anything that you can dispute, you just see it differently. Plus I'm not an armchair fan, I've been to over 100 grounds supporting them, not that it entitles me to anything. 

As for the manger point again, Bielsa joined Leeds knowing he was working for a club that was in utter turmoil etc etc. I just believe there were better options and you asked me to name one so I did. 

I'm not an accountant but I have degree equivalent financial expertise and have worked in the financial industry all my life. I do have a grasp of our predicament and i didnt even imply we should drop prices now, albeit Covid kind of throws everything into the unknown there. The point again was that it was DCs first decision to put up prices and that was unfortunately a sign of things to come. Oh and I'm not against DC either, he's a guy who went in too deep and probably his ethics and cultural upbringing have backfired, even though he had the right intentions. 

If you want to ask me a question I'll reply, but if you want to post the last word then feel free because we've debated this to death and I've taken the view we disagree and see thiings differently so we probably could go on forever. As long as we both have SWFC at heart let's agree to disagree 

i agree.

move on and hope we (as a club) have learnt.

• Like 1