Is this the real Garry Monk?

If we're trying to be as positive as possible for the new season i think it's fair to say now is really where we get to see a true and honest reflection on Monk as a manager?

He's been able to finally bring in his own backroom staff, full COVID pre-season, ship out (most of) his unwanted players and bring in some new blood. I know it's obviously a difficult position for any manager given our financial situation and point deduction but at least from this point on any failures within the team will be 100% on him, there is no deflecting now. I'm not trying to make excuses for his completely woeful second half of the season but let's be honest it would have been a difficult ride for any manager coming into the circumstances he did.

Having said all that, my excitement for the new season still sits at a solid 1/10. Based on last season i still think Monk is out his depth and even if we got rid whoever comes in will still be in the same bad situation, limited budget, ageing past prime core of squad, lack of leaders, desperate need of goal scorers, point deduction etc.

We face a serious uphill battle this season and every game needs to be played like a cup final, every point counts and waiting too long to make big decisions could be very costly to our future. 

UTO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joe Sunburn said:

He’ll also need time. A turnaround of this magnitude will take several transfer windows as I’ve said in other threads. Patience on the part of supporters and positivity is critical for any successes to be (about) 100% on him. UTO. 

Genuine question joe. If our form continues as it finished last season how much time would you give him. Would you suffer relegation to give him more time. I would say Christmas unless we are seeing real upturn in results. Though six or seven games like yesterday’s and my patience may not last

Edited by Plonk

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

Genuine question joe. If our form continues as it finished last season how much time would you give him. Would you suffer relegation to give him more time. I would say Christmas unless we are seeing real upturn in results. Though six or seven games like yesterday’s and my patience may not last

Although I'm not joe, I'll reply.... I'd usually say November - Xmas as a time to judge and make a decision, unless we'd lost every game, but this is not a normal season so decisions might have to be quicker and firmer. I still think October is a critical month given who we are to play. If the games are drab and we've picked up very few points by the end of October then for me DC has a decision to make. 

11 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

If we're trying to be as positive as possible for the new season...

11 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

...my excitement for the new season still sits at a solid 1/10. Based on last season i still think Monk is out his depth and even if we got rid whoever comes in will still be in the same bad situation, limited budget, ageing past prime core of squad, lack of leaders, desperate need of goal scorers, point deduction etc.

Well, that's me pumped up and ready to head into the season full of positivity. Monk should consider using this as his pre-match team talk.

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JOCOWl said:

Although I'm not joe, I'll reply.... I'd usually say November - Xmas as a time to judge and make a decision, unless we'd lost every game, but this is not a normal season so decisions might have to be quicker and firmer. I still think October is a critical month given who we are to play. If the games are drab and we've picked up very few points by the end of October then for me DC has a decision to make. 

Cheers. That’s nine games to the end of October. What do they think would be an acceptable points return from those games for him to keep his job. The last two of the nine or rotherham and Wycombe. A poor start and lose those two could be the tipping point. 

2 hours ago, JOCOWl said:

Normally I'd agree with you but...in December we have a game every three of four days and I think that we have to be up and running by then if not we might not be able to claw back any points we might need

Guest Therealrealist
3 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Gone by Christmas with Jos brought back as caretaker.

It’ll be worse than that..it’ll be ‘good owd bully’ 🥴

14 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

If we're trying to be as positive as possible for the new season i think it's fair to say now is really where we get to see a true and honest reflection on Monk as a manager?

He's been able to finally bring in his own backroom staff, full COVID pre-season, ship out (most of) his unwanted players and bring in some new blood. I know it's obviously a difficult position for any manager given our financial situation and point deduction but at least from this point on any failures within the team will be 100% on him, there is no deflecting now. I'm not trying to make excuses for his completely woeful second half of the season but let's be honest it would have been a difficult ride for any manager coming into the circumstances he did.

Having said all that, my excitement for the new season still sits at a solid 1/10. Based on last season i still think Monk is out his depth and even if we got rid whoever comes in will still be in the same bad situation, limited budget, ageing past prime core of squad, lack of leaders, desperate need of goal scorers, point deduction etc.

We face a serious uphill battle this season and every game needs to be played like a cup final, every point counts and waiting too long to make big decisions could be very costly to our future. 

UTO.

i think 'any failures in the team' may well have been influenced by the fact we don't seem to have a bean to spend.

IF we have any spending left we need to buy in/loan the most potent strike force available.

5 hours ago, Plonk said:

genuine question, who would we replace him with at Christmas?

8 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Still work in progress.

Give the man a chance.

I've got an old series two Landrover in my garage that's a work in progress restoring it, it's taken me 5 years so far and it still ain't done. Missus has been doing her nut for years as she can't get her motor in the garage. 

• Like 1