Is this the real Garry Monk?

10 minutes ago, parajack said:

But why do you blame monk for that?...cant majic another couple...out of a hat...

We've got 4 right now.

So while we all agree we could use another 'number one' striker..

4 fit strikers should be enough to get more than none onto the pitch, no?

22 hours ago, NeonLeon said:

Think people have clearly forgotten the global pandemic and 3 week Pre Season most teams have had. Yesterday was our 2nd game since July, and the first one wasn’t even competitive. 

No team will come out the blocks firing on all cylinders, especially not us.

If we’re still on minuses come mid-October I don’t think the panic button needs to be getting hit. The start to this season is going to be a slow plodding mess for every team. Don’t be surprised if teams you expect to be at the top at the bottom, and vice versa. 

yep,the England team didnt manage it.....

19 hours ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

So last season you think Monk did as well as any manager could have managed?

perhaps out of more recent managers bruce 'may have' done better.

but the vast majority if not all managers would have struggled with a forward line that consisted of a single player (fletcher) who when the side was in third suffered a near season finishing injury.

i note also in your post you look to question monks better part of the season where we outstandingly achieved a magnificent 3rd. place to his predecessor thus denying him any credit whatsoever, this is nothing new there are a number of our fan base who actually want him out so badly they'll go to great, almost any lengths to prove it.

with the forlorn hope that a 'magician' is coming in after him, i'll ask you, what i ask the others, IF monk was to be replaced, who would you like to see replace him, and why?

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

perhaps out of more recent managers bruce 'may have' done better.

but the vast majority if not all managers would have struggled with a forward line that consisted of a single player (fletcher) who when the side was in third suffered a near season finishing injury.

i note also in your post you look to question monks better part of the season where we outstandingly achieved a magnificent 3rd. place to his predecessor thus denying him any credit whatsoever, this is nothing new there are a number of our fan base who actually want him out so badly they'll go to great, almost any lengths to prove it.

with the forlorn hope that a 'magician' is coming in after him, i'll ask you, what i ask the others, IF monk was to be replaced, who would you like to see replace him, and why?

Totally agree with all of your post,Q wise though,it would be good to add, 'And will they come'?...Bruce was free when we went for him,but that didnt stop him leaving when a ob came that he fancied....fair i think to Q how committed he was in taking the job.Results & performances will dictate success,or failure, & a more realistic analysis of what it takes to turn around a club.

How many times have we seen a club(including the one who we lost to,at Wembley) drop down through multiple divisons?...its what happens when a club goes into decline...

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

We've got 4 right now.

So while we all agree we could use another 'number one' striker..

4 fit strikers should be enough to get more than none onto the pitch, no?

I think monk was burned when Fletcher got injured in Cup match...or maybe he wanted a look at how Reach might perform in the position up front? he has his answer now..

53 minutes ago, parajack said:

Season ticket?...whilst the Blunts watch Premier football for what 20 quid?...

25 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Like I said I'm more than happy doesn't interest me what blunts charge 

IF as you say the pigs are charging £20 a game for premier footy, then it can only damage wednesday's potential for potd attendees now and in the future in relation to children, teens, and early twenties in sheffield and surrounding areas who want to watch live football..

the present calamitous cloud over s6 is very poorly timed for the future with the pigs flying high, and us jumping up and down on a trapdoor to the third.

so whilst it doesn't worry 'bladeshater' it should worry the club a great deal, along with many of it's more 'enlightened' supporters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, parajack said:

Totally agree with all of your post,Q wise though,it would be good to add, 'And will they come'?...Bruce was free when we went for him,but that didnt stop him leaving when a ob came that he fancied....fair i think to Q how committed he was in taking the job.Results & performances will dictate success,or failure, & a more realistic analysis of what it takes to turn around a club.

How many times have we seen a club(including the one who we lost to,at Wembley) drop down through multiple divisons?...its what happens when a club goes into decline...

i think one thing we ALL need to understand better is in footballers, AND managers when they're kissing the badge, they don't mean it (other than when megson did it), they're ALL mercenaries, and IF and WHEN your money runs out, tough s**t they're off to kiss another badge.

• Like 1

On 05/09/2020 at 19:12, Lionel Fessi said:

If we're trying to be as positive as possible for the new season i think it's fair to say now is really where we get to see a true and honest reflection on Monk as a manager?

He's been able to finally bring in his own backroom staff, full COVID pre-season, ship out (most of) his unwanted players and bring in some new blood. I know it's obviously a difficult position for any manager given our financial situation and point deduction but at least from this point on any failures within the team will be 100% on him, there is no deflecting now. I'm not trying to make excuses for his completely woeful second half of the season but let's be honest it would have been a difficult ride for any manager coming into the circumstances he did.

Having said all that, my excitement for the new season still sits at a solid 1/10. Based on last season i still think Monk is out his depth and even if we got rid whoever comes in will still be in the same bad situation, limited budget, ageing past prime core of squad, lack of leaders, desperate need of goal scorers, point deduction etc.

We face a serious uphill battle this season and every game needs to be played like a cup final, every point counts and waiting too long to make big decisions could be very costly to our future. 

UTO.

You were doing well for one and a half paragraphs before your wings melted in the sun causing your crash to earth! 
You do accept that the points deduction and limited resources are not the fault of that nice Mr Monk don’t you?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elderly Owl said:

You were doing well for one and a half paragraphs before your wings melted in the sun causing your crash to earth! 
You do accept that the points deduction and limited resources are not the fault of that nice Mr Monk don’t you?

Icarus & Daedalus...Monk & Chansiri?? ha ha..never thought i would see Greek Mythology on 'Owlstalk'.....might be more apt to use 'tantalus' staring longingly through the gates of hell,at the outside world,just out of his reach......hence the expression 'tantalizing'..

Edited by parajack

50 minutes ago, Elderly Owl said:

£20 to watch the Blunts? Scandalous! I wouldn’t watch that lot if they paid me !

likely not, but from the looks of the name you post under you may not be watching wednesday in 20 years time.

whilst the potd support in it's teens and twenties going to the lane for premier league football @ £20 and shunning £40 hillsborough's lower end championship footy may well still be attending the lane in 20 years time.

Edited by dorian gray

53 minutes ago, Elderly Owl said:

it's a good job they have peter sutcliffe as some on here would have thrown monk's name into the ring.

• Haha 1

On 06/09/2020 at 09:38, OhForAnotherShez said:

I'll judge the 'team with no strikers' if it was a league match, not what most clubs at this stage consider it as a glorified pre season friendly.

Its not just a glorified pre season friendly though, is it? 

It's the only piece of silverware we have won in anyone posting here 's lifetime. 

It's not like we are Man City and can afford to be picky about which competitions we bother to try in. 

Edited by owlinexile

1 hour ago, parajack said:

Icarus & Daedalus...Monk & Chansiri?? ha ha..never thought i would see Greek Mythology on 'Owlstalk'.....might be more apt to use 'tantalus' staring longingly through the gates of hell,at the outside world,just out of his reach......hence the expression 'tantalizing'..

i don't know about 'mythology' it's been a 'greek tragedy' for decades mate.

nuhiu as the gorgon.

our support split between 'the sirens' wailing, and bull headed 'minotaurs.

we need a warrior like achilles for the m/f, 

someone needs to nip to delphi to see if we can bear what the end of season brings?

• Haha 1

On 05/09/2020 at 19:12, Lionel Fessi said:

If we're trying to be as positive as possible for the new season i think it's fair to say now is really where we get to see a true and honest reflection on Monk as a manager?

He's been able to finally bring in his own backroom staff, full COVID pre-season, ship out (most of) his unwanted players and bring in some new blood. I know it's obviously a difficult position for any manager given our financial situation and point deduction but at least from this point on any failures within the team will be 100% on him, there is no deflecting now. I'm not trying to make excuses for his completely woeful second half of the season but let's be honest it would have been a difficult ride for any manager coming into the circumstances he did.

Having said all that, my excitement for the new season still sits at a solid 1/10. Based on last season i still think Monk is out his depth and even if we got rid whoever comes in will still be in the same bad situation, limited budget, ageing past prime core of squad, lack of leaders, desperate need of goal scorers, point deduction etc.

We face a serious uphill battle this season and every game needs to be played like a cup final, every point counts and waiting too long to make big decisions could be very costly to our future. 

UTO.

We don’t have a financial situation if we accept the -12 points or if it stands...but we do have one if we win the appeal and don’t lose the points.

Perverse but fact