BREAKING NEWS - NEW STRIKER / WINGER / FORWARD - ELIAS KACHUNGA!!!

5 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Didn't his form fall off when

A) they went into a higher division (might have been a bit to tough) 

B) got rid of the manger who got the most out of him. 

Pretty much backs up what @Owlstalk Admin Teamwas saying, lots of variables.

I rather we give this new chap a go, than the has beens and crocks we had previous on mega dosh. 

Far far far to early to call this one. 

The way I read his career there was that he did well, surprisingly so, they lacked a physical presence but he was their best striker when they went up.

Premier league perhaps a step too far. I think he got injured too. By this stage the team was getting beat every week when he came back and the character of the team changed. They’ve done poorly since as a team. Not good conditions for getting your confidence back with a few bad eggs about. Plus he was played wide.

No guarantees but given the atmosphere in the team here, playing centrally. He could be a shrewd buy. If not then he goes...

Jusy need one or two other good options so we aren’t relying on him as Huddersfield did when they went up without scoring!

16 minutes ago, modboy said:

According to FM he was on 20k a week at hudds 😲

Yes know that's not fact but they are usually pretty accurate with things 

Also all his positives are what we have been demanding 

https://fmdataba.com/20/p/148856/elias-kachunga/

Fletcher was on £30k+ for us and signed for Stoke for £18k a week, so suspect he'll have taken a hefty pay cut. Post-Covid very few clubs are throwing money around.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

How do you know FM are usually accurate on such things?

How many player salaries have you seen? Then compared them to Football Manager? “Yeah, pretty accurate to this wage slip”.

I think FM is usually in the right ballpark - e.g. some players wages are reported in the media, and you can see from the account the total wage bill of clubs - based on that information you can usually piece together much of the wages.

Kachunga scored 14 goals on loan the season they went up, so as one of the expected first team players signing for a Premier League club then £20k seems a reasonable estimate - although if they put a relegation clause in his contract his wages might have gone down last season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

I've not seen much of him other than the times he's played against us (where he didn't stand out, other than needing to improve his note-reading skills). But, a few thoughts:

- Are we sure he's been signed as a striker? If Huddersfield fans all said "hard-working right midfielder" then maybe he's been signed to play the Murphy role as RWB?

- On the "46 goals in 150 games" as a striker/second striker - interested to see where they are getting those games from, he's scored 59 goals in his entire career and the 2 seasons he's hit double figures are: 16/17 at Hudds (13 goals) in the Champ and season 11/12 (22 goals) played in a mix of the German Third Division and German semi-pro football.

- Bit worried about his shooting. Even from the wing you would expect a goal every 10 games (e.g. Reach has scored 15 over the last 3 seasons and isn't exactly Frank Lampard). The headed goals looked good, but the rare goals he scored with his feet in the video, a couple of those were weak/too close to the keeper but somehow snuck through.

- But, a bit of pace, hard-working, seems good in the air. Even if he doesn't score a bagful of goals, we definitely have lacked presence upfront when Fletcher wasn't playing. Might help bring more out of the other attackers having someone good at closing down and pressing in there, rather than Rhodes or Nuhiu.

- And, players can improve, and as others have said, he should be an upgrade on Da Cruz. In some ways, its the players who arrive with lots of hype about how good they are (Rhodes, Abdi, Blondeau (!)) I worry more about. The players where I shrug my shoulders and think 'Meh!' often turn out to be the best.

In bold.  Are these the times when he was playing striker?

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

18 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

You look at the play-off final team, the signings we have made over the last 2 seasons should have been made then.

Adding players like Iorfa, Odubajo, Loungo, Harris, Dunkley, Windass, Brown and Kachunga should have happened then, that's what we needed, physicality, power and energy.

Not, Jones, Abdi, Boyd etc.

We probably do need a number 9, a bit of a beast to hit if needed, not Atdhe, he's not fit enough.

Add another player that can play in the wide areas and I would say we have a better 11 than we did when we made the play offs the second time.

I am not including the Keepers in that because I still think Westwood is our best Keeper.

You think that the outfield 10 we are about to kick off this season with are are one player away from being a better line up than Hunt, Pudil, Lees, Loovens, Hutchinson, Bannan, Lee, Wallace, Forestieri, Hooper? When the majority of these were in form and we still then had the likes of Fletcher, Reach, Joao, Jones, Matias etc to call upon?

I disagree.

3 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Our current squad is not a patch on the team that made the playoffs second time around. Not even close.

Did I say squad or starting 11?

Hunt? - I liked him but he's not pushed on.

Loovens? - was an experienced leader that was close to retirement. 

Lees? - still here and gets hammered.

Pudil? - got murdered, his legs were on the way out.

Wallace? - Inconsistant, ageing, why we released him.

Lee? - class but broken.

Hutchinson? - could be outstanding, one tackle away from a straight red or a bad injury.

Bannan? - still here, class act.

Fletcher? - the only player I wish had stayed, only because he had a good 3 month period last year.

Forestieri? - great first season, then disappeared.

Jones? - terrible for us.

Reach? - still here.

Winnall? did nothing for us.

Rhodes? - still here.

Sasso? - squad player, ok.

Nuhiu? - shouldn't be anywhere near a promotion chasing team.

That squad is technically good, but it lacks athleticism and pace.

High earners that were unreliable.

I prefer the look of the current 11, its got everything that the squad above didn't have.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

Dem Blades' top scorer had just 6 (S-I-X) last season and they had their best league finish in nearly half a century.

It's usually an exception to the norm that kind of thing though. Also helped that they had one of the best defences in the league. Us on the other hand.......

1 minute ago, Striggy said:

In bold.  Are these the times when he was playing striker?

I don't know how people know which position he was playing in German semi-professional games. But they must be including at least some of these games, as take out 4th tier German football and he hasn't scored 46 goals. His career record is:

Career Record: 257 (33) games, 59 goals

Broken down over different Leagues:

All League Games: 247 (33) games, 57 goals

Premier League: 30 (9) games, 1 goal

Bundesliga: 27 (17) games, 6 goals

Championship: 74 (7) games, 15 goals

Bundesliga 2: 48 games, 9 goals

Bundesliga 3: 17 games, 10 goals

Bundesliga 4th tier (regional/semi-pro): 51 games, 16 goals

(I don't know how many of his games at Bundesliga 2 or below where starts vs subs, so have put them all as starts)

But, stating the obvious, anyone who is good enough to start over 50 games in the Premier League/Bundesliga is probably half decent. And his stats are partly bad in those top leagues because he was playing in bad teams that finished bottom 2 out of the 3 seasons, so the team as a whole probably did a lot of defending and not much attacking.

8 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

I'd happily say Nuhiu.  You could also argue Forestieri.  

Nuhiu only pulled his tripe out at contract renewal time, he was absolute dogsh1t otherwise. Forestieri is a complete waste of a player now and has been for the last few seasons.

I've not focussed on kachungas performances so can't say how good he is, but I do know he will try harder than those 2, can't fail to do so.

14 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

I don't know how people know which position he was playing in German semi-professional games. But they must be including at least some of these games, as take out 4th tier German football and he hasn't scored 46 goals. His career record is:

Career Record: 257 (33) games, 59 goals

Broken down over different Leagues:

All League Games: 247 (33) games, 57 goals

Premier League: 30 (9) games, 1 goal

Bundesliga: 27 (17) games, 6 goals

Championship: 74 (7) games, 15 goals

Bundesliga 2: 48 games, 9 goals

Bundesliga 3: 17 games, 10 goals

Bundesliga 4th tier (regional/semi-pro): 51 games, 16 goals

(I don't know how many of his games at Bundesliga 2 or below where starts vs subs, so have put them all as starts)

I would suggest that Joe Crann a professional sports journalist and owls fan has done some research also

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

This is all opinions yes, 

CBs - Lees, Dunkley, Iorfa, Borner and Van Aken are better options than Lees, Loovens and Sasso.

CM's - Bannan, Brown, Dele-Bashura and Luongo are better options than Bannan, Hutchinson, Jones and Lee.

AM's - Reach, Harris, Kachunga and Windass are better options than Wallace and Reach.