BREAKING NEWS - NEW STRIKER / WINGER / FORWARD - ELIAS KACHUNGA!!!

16 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Looks clinical with his head in and around the box, hope we give him the delivery , maybe even as a partner for Rhodes someone who can take the pressure off Rhodes needing to be the focal point (as he’s terrible at it)  Rhodes and Gestede had a great partnership at Blackburn maybe Kachunga could be the partner for him here 

is Gestede not more of a target man though? 

I do wonder what some people were expecting this season. We are really not an attractive proposition for potential signings. 

Kachunga is no world beater but is a hard working attacking option who has done ok at this level previously. That's the market we are currently shopping in.

Given the circumstances he should be a decent signing. We do of course need to bring in more players with goals in them if we are going to have a decent chance of staying up. But I'm sure monk and the recruitment team are well aware of that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago workshyfop said:

Kachunga has signed for The Massive.

Bemused how any scout at Championship level can have judged that he is a worthwhile signing given his performances over the last 2.5 years. He has lost his pace, never had any skill and looks terrified/void of confidence everytime he steps on the pitch.

Did fantastic in 2016/17 but he isn't that player anymore

More rubbish from you. How well Katch does will depend on the way the team plays. If the style suits his strengths he will do fine. Also he has never looked void of confidence. Strong player and a really good pro. I hope he does well there.

Huddersfield fans bickering and arguing just like us.

• Thanks 1

People moaning at his goal scoring record need a reality check. 

Do we need 2-3 strikers? Yes. 

Would we all like strikers with consistent scoring records? Yes. 

Do we have money to buy those strikers? No. 

The obvious conclusion is we need to buy players that have ability and then coach them so they improve their goal returns with us, meaning we benefit in the immediate term and potentially medium to long term if they generate a resale value. 

If the above sounds too sensible then  err yeah bring back Nuhiu 😂

Edited by Ballmeist
  • Thanks 1

You look at the play-off final team, the signings we have made over the last 2 seasons should have been made then.

Adding players like Iorfa, Odubajo, Loungo, Harris, Dunkley, Windass, Brown and Kachunga should have happened then, that's what we needed, physicality, power and energy.

Not, Jones, Abdi, Boyd etc.

We probably do need a number 9, a bit of a beast to hit if needed, not Atdhe, he's not fit enough.

Add another player that can play in the wide areas and I would say we have a better 11 than we did when we made the play offs the second time.

I am not including the Keepers in that because I still think Westwood is our best Keeper.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

3 hours ago workshyfop said:

Kachunga has signed for The Massive.

Bemused how any scout at Championship level can have judged that he is a worthwhile signing given his performances over the last 2.5 years. He has lost his pace, never had any skill and looks terrified/void of confidence everytime he steps on the pitch.

Did fantastic in 2016/17 but he isn't that player anymore

More rubbish from you. How well Katch does will depend on the way the team plays. If the style suits his strengths he will do fine. Also he has never looked void of confidence. Strong player and a really good pro. I hope he does well there.

Huddersfield fans bickering and arguing just like us.

Didn't his form fall off when

A) they went into a higher division (might have been a bit to tough) 

B) got rid of the manger who got the most out of him. 

Pretty much backs up what @Owlstalk Admin Teamwas saying, lots of variables.

I rather we give this new chap a go, than the has beens and crocks we had previous on mega dosh. 

Far far far to early to call this one. 

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

You look at the play-off final team, the signings we have made over the last 2 seasons should have been made then.

Adding players like Iorfa, Odubajo, Loungo, Harris, Dunkley, Windass, Brown and Kachunga should have happened then, that's what we needed, physicality, power and energy.

Not, Jones, Abdi, Boyd etc.

We probably do need a number 9, a bit of a beast to hit if needed, not Atdhe, he's not fit enough.

Add another player that can play in the wide areas and I would say we have a better 11 than we did when we made the play offs the second time.

I am not including the Keepers in that because I still think Westwood is our best Keeper.

Our current squad is not a patch on the team that made the playoffs second time around. Not even close.

• Like 1

Disagree that we need a big “target” man up top, I think when Hudds got promoted they had 5ft 7” Nakhi Wells up top, with Kachunga and Brown playing off him?

I’d hope we sign a proper goal scorer, like that Griffiths from Lyon or the likes of Folarin Balogun and Tyreece John-Jules at arsenal who are highly rated 

• Like 1

Cannot believe half the stuff I have read on this thread. From what I have seen, which is mainly v us in their promotion year he looked pacey, lively and dangerous.  He is ours now and his past history is just that history.  Its now down to the player, the manager and the coaching staff to get the best out of him, and if he delivers his best he will be a great free signing, get behind the lad, in current circumstances we aint going to be signing much better. Welcome to SWFC make yourself a name, lets see what you can do!

• Like 6

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

14 minutes ago, modboy said:

According to FM he was on 20k a week at hudds 😲

Yes know that's not fact but they are usually pretty accurate with things 

Also all his positives are what we have been demanding 

https://fmdataba.com/20/p/148856/elias-kachunga/

How do you know FM are usually accurate on such things?

How many player salaries have you seen? Then compared them to Football Manager? “Yeah, pretty accurate to this wage slip”.

I've not seen much of him other than the times he's played against us (where he didn't stand out, other than needing to improve his note-reading skills). But, a few thoughts:

- Are we sure he's been signed as a striker? If Huddersfield fans all said "hard-working right midfielder" then maybe he's been signed to play the Murphy role as RWB?

- On the "46 goals in 150 games" as a striker/second striker - interested to see where they are getting those games from, he's scored 59 goals in his entire career and the 2 seasons he's hit double figures are: 16/17 at Hudds (13 goals) in the Champ and season 11/12 (22 goals) played in a mix of the German Third Division and German semi-pro football.

- Bit worried about his shooting. Even from the wing you would expect a goal every 10 games (e.g. Reach has scored 15 over the last 3 seasons and isn't exactly Frank Lampard). The headed goals looked good, but the rare goals he scored with his feet in the video, a couple of those were weak/too close to the keeper but somehow snuck through.

- But, a bit of pace, hard-working, seems good in the air. Even if he doesn't score a bagful of goals, we definitely have lacked presence upfront when Fletcher wasn't playing. Might help bring more out of the other attackers having someone good at closing down and pressing in there, rather than Rhodes or Nuhiu.

- And, players can improve, and as others have said, he should be an upgrade on Da Cruz. In some ways, its the players who arrive with lots of hype about how good they are (Rhodes, Abdi, Blondeau (!)) I worry more about. The players where I shrug my shoulders and think 'Meh!' often turn out to be the best.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

I can't help but feel if he's not good enough for a Huddersfield team that finished below us last season, he's just not good enough!  We've let better walk away IMO.

That would be about right, he's never impressed me whenever I've seen him play. He looks a steady playe at best, same as Windass but probably not one to get excited.

Edited by full fathom five

3 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

More of a winger than a striker? 

About as much of a striker as the Nottinghamshire miners were, regardless of what the headline on the official website says.