Steven Fletcher to Stoke City

No I don’t it’s just my opinion. Didn’t Madine score 20 when we got promoted from League 1 - don’t quote me, I’m not great with statistics and won’t be googling it 😃.  Not sure how he could do significantly better anyway if he was injured either. 

Not really bothered what West Brom fans think or interested in googling their stats to try and prove a point either.  That seems a bit obsessive don’t you think? If you’re going to make an observation then try not to contradict yourself with individual statistics. 

Guest Bulgaria

He is a mid table championship striker with a pendant for getting injured.

He will not be firing Stoke to promotion.

Although he had a good spell with us last year, I also thought he was the reason our play was so slow.

No big loss imo.

Guest gizowl
17 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

How dare he use that word - that word belongs to us! 😂

From the Stoke press......

“I am absolutely delighted," Fletcher told the Stoke website after sealing his move.

"It’s a massive club to come and play for.

They'll say owt when some mugs pay them what they want 😂

Hes been a good player for us but for the amount of times he gets injured he isnt worth the big bucks that hes on. Last season he kept injury free for abit longer but it's always inevitable with him.

We needed a clear out and I'm not fussed hes gone now

Don’t blame players for following the money but those who refused to play the extra month after doing next to fckall for 3 months are dead to me 

Five Foxes 🦊 in the team ???

would be relegation fodder 

he is a bang average left back that Monk had doing the basics right for the first time in 4 seasons 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, deano said:

Always liked Fletcher, was probably under used by Carlos and is good player at this level if he stays fit. 

However the way he walked off the pitch, having just been brought on has left a bad taste for me. 

Under used? He was used loads but he only managed to play about 10 games before he was injured for months

19 hours ago, s6 owl said:

Might as well sign Forestieri and Hutchinson too.

Yeah,no sign of a 'rush' for either.....I dont think myself Hutchinson will get a Club in the Championship,but we will see.Foresteri will go abroad i think,(obviously depends on what irons the agents have in the fire)

2 hours ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

How dare he use that word - that word belongs to us! 😂

From the Stoke press......

“I am absolutely delighted," Fletcher told the Stoke website after sealing his move.

"It’s a massive club to come and play for.

Was he referring to his wage packet? in that quote?  I could care less about him...

18 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe he wasn’t, but we were. As I said, I actually thought Fletcher was capable of more, so it was probably Monk’s tactics. Either way, it limited our attacking options, so I don’t want us to bring in a similar type now

Here we go again....all Monks fault...have a look at Fletcher's scoring record through his career,at his multiple Clubs......he has never been a prolific goal scorer, hardly 'Monks' tactics..

2 hours ago, Penfold said:

No I don’t it’s just my opinion. Didn’t Madine score 20 when we got promoted from League 1 - don’t quote me, I’m not great with statistics and won’t be googling it 😃.  Not sure how he could do significantly better anyway if he was injured either. 

Not really bothered what West Brom fans think or interested in googling their stats to try and prove a point either.  That seems a bit obsessive don’t you think? If you’re going to make an observation then try not to contradict yourself with individual statistics. 

You need to use the reply function if you're responding to a particular post. 

What's being contradicted? You've fallen for the myth that there is a strict correlation between a 20 goal striker and success. That simply isn't the case and is something I've looked at many times in the past. You only have to go back a fortnight to see some examples of this. The Championship's 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th highest scorers played for the teams that finished 7th, 18th, 13th and 24th. At the same time, the team finished 2nd had no one who even mustered a dozen.

No need for a strop.

15 hours ago, Jonestown83 said:

Fletcher will always be massively underrated by many on here mainly because he wasn’t all fancy flicks and tricks

I’ve actually seen some criticism on here blaming him for our goalkeepers choosing to aim goal kicks at him with him being one of the best headers of the ball in the league strange tactic that rather then letting Tom lees try and play out from the back 😕

he’s been one of the few that hasn’t gone missing over the last few seasons there’s been a lot of talk about the mentality of the squad been weak but people will slate the guy who’d quite happily get his face kicked off if there was half a chance it’d end up in a goal he picked up a lot of niggling injuries mainly due to this and spent a lot of the time on the floor because he’d gone for a ball he had zero right to win got there and often ended up winning a free kick after being cleaned out by the defender who didn’t expect him to be there 

fletcher should be the blueprint for any younger player we’re looking to try and sign to try get us out of the mess we’re currently in he played like he was a winner and never shirked anything 

think back to his debut can you imagine forestieri kicking off about needing to be substituted because he had blood weeing out of his face then played a week or so later with a gaping hole in his head if that was semedo or hutchinson the fans would be wanting a statue erecting 

Spot on, the same people slagging him off for not playing in July are probably among those who would be happy to sign Lyle Taylor. 

The way his Wednesday career ended was disappointing but we shouldn't be deluded into thinking the majority of players wouldn't do the same. Fox has received praise in this thread yet he also decided not to play in July when we resorted to playing players out of position at the back. 

Fletcher is 33 years old and has a history of injury problems. If he had picked up an injury playing in July then it could possibly have been his last significant action as a professional. He has now secured himself around £2M over the next 2 years, a significant sum to run the risk of missing out on. 

Like I say, it was a disappointing way to end and not something I would have advocated but sometimes you have to look at it from their perspective. I think all players should have played on to the end of the season but the power has been with the players for many years and plenty went down this route.

The last month shouldn't completely detract from the fact that over the last 4 years Fletcher was willing to put his body on the line more than many for us.