Steven Fletcher to Stoke City

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’d boo both Fletch and Fox. It’s what we used to do. But for some reasons we’ve turned into the most softest and sentimental fanbase going.

Like the time we gave Tony McMahon a standing ovation when he came off for Boro. He’d played about 8 games for us.

I don't think booing or not booing those two defines how soft the fanbase is. 

Especiallt when you consider we already booed Fox. But thats probably when the fanbase was hard. 

Edited by TheEnchanter

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I don't think booing or not booing those two defines how soft the fanbase is. 

Especiallt when you consider we already booed Fox. But thats probably when the fanbase was hard. 

I don’t know I just feel like in the 00s even though we were crap we could make Hillsborough quite a hostile place.

Nowadays I could imagine Fletch trotting out in red and white and getting a standing ovation by the North stand. 

Not how it should be. He had his reasons for leaving and I get why, but he pretended to have a hamstring injury against Forest and then was nowhere to be seen in the run in. I won’t be welcoming him back. 

• Like 1

Whether players were offered reduced terms or not they didn’t complete the fixtures they were paid good money for in the first place. I can see why some players put themselves first in a cutthroat market but he’s earned a lot more than Nuhiu in his career and one was willing to stay, presumably as he felt his job wasn’t done, and the other wasn’t, nor Forestieri by the looks. 

I’ve always been a big fan of Fletcher though and enjoyed watching him here. If he’d sorted his knee earlier in his career then we might’ve got more out of him.

• Like 3

Guest OrlandoUnTrustful

If ever there was a player who lost all goodwill and credibility it’s Steven Fletcher. What he did against Forest was unforgivable for me and I hope he gets booed and then double teamed by Iorfa and Dunkley. I won’t criticise Fox who at least had the decency to see out his deal. 

Fletcher had millions off us over the length of his contract and I hope he never kicks another ball again. Some will say I’m being disgraceful and disgusting etc but your either with us or your the enemy. The same fans who will condemn me will gladly criticise Nuhui who gave everything and extended his contract knowing he probably wouldn’t get a longer deal. That is a player who deserves their affection. Not a snivelling, back stabbing snake. Enjoy playing for a disgusting club in a backwards dump of a place.

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Whether players were offered reduced terms or not they didn’t complete the fixtures they were paid good money for in the first place. I can see why some players put themselves first in a cutthroat market but he’s earned a lot more than Nuhiu in his career and one was willing to stay, presumably as he felt his job wasn’t done, and the other wasn’t, nor Forestieri by the looks. 

I’ve always been a big fan of Fletcher though and enjoyed watching him here. If he’d sorted his knee earlier in his career then we might’ve got more out of him.

This is why it leaves a bad taste for me.

OK, his contract was up, but in any normal circumstances, the contract he signed meant he was a Wednesday player until the end of last season. That he chose not to play the final nine matches despite taking the money during lockdown when those games were originally scheduled to be played doesn't sit well, no matter how well within his rights he was to do so.

The fact that he was our best player just makes it rankle that bit more, as I can't help but feel he would have made a difference as we spurned chance after chance in many of those post-lockdown games.

I like Fletcher as a footballer and he clearly had a massive impact on our team, particularly last season. And yet I can't help but feel glad that my club is now rid of a player who seems to be a mercenary and who didn't feel like playing when the club really needed him to give something back in return for the millions he's taken out of the pot in recent seasons.

• Like 2

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

This is why it leaves a bad taste for me.

OK, his contract was up, but in any normal circumstances, the contract he signed meant he was a Wednesday player until the end of last season. That he chose not to play the final nine matches despite taking the money during lockdown when those games were originally scheduled to be played doesn't sit well, no matter how well within his rights he was to do so.

The fact that he was our best player just makes it rankle that bit more, as I can't help but feel he would have made a difference as we spurned chance after chance in many of those post-lockdown games.

I like Fletcher as a footballer and he clearly had a massive impact on our team, particularly last season. And yet I can't help but feel glad that my club is now rid of a player who seems to be a mercenary and who didn't feel like playing when the club really needed him to give something back in return for the millions he's taken out of the pot in recent seasons.

Indeed. Had we finished 12 points above the drop zone which was basically the objective post lockdown then I could’ve seen that applied last season. Basically because auto relegation is the worst case punishment which we didn’t trigger and I still think the panel might have viewed it that way and removed that option. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, vulva said:

Superb? That pushing it. Decent Championship level striker with average goal scoring record.  

Fletcher has got a very good agent. For his ability he’s had a very good career, financially. 

The way he left was disgraceful. 4 years on very big money and couldn’t give us a few weeks more. I’ll give Nuhui the respect he deserves but if anyone does that standing ovation ballacks for ex players thing with Fletcher I’ll happily kick them in the bottom for 20 minutes. 

Players like Fletcher get you in the mess we are in. Mercenaries. 

Not being able to do the maths based on the players you have signed and the salaries you have handed out gets you in a financial mess. Fletcher didn't put a gun to the head of the club forcing us to pay him that amount.

He has offered far better value for money than many others in the current era.

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Indeed. Had we finished 12 points above the drop zone which was basically the objective post lockdown then I could’ve seen that applied last season. Basically because auto relegation is the worst case punishment which we didn’t trigger and I still think the panel might have viewed it that way and removed that option. 

If we had amassed enough points to survive with the deduction applied, they would have applied it last season and we’d be going into this year on 0 points - no doubt in my mind. 

So I’d think twice before thanking players like Fletcher. It’s the fans who get punished and he wasn’t willing to fight for us. Foooook him. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’d boo both Fletch and Fox. It’s what we used to do. But for some reasons we’ve turned into the most softest and sentimental fanbase going.

Like the time we gave Tony McMahon a standing ovation when he came off for Boro. He’d played about 8 games for us.

One minute we are the softest fan base going.

You open another thread and we are the worst fan base going and give players too much abuse.

:ghoulguy:

Guest Therealrealist
34 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I don’t know I just feel like in the 00s even though we were crap we could make Hillsborough quite a hostile place.

Nowadays I could imagine Fletch trotting out in red and white and getting a standing ovation by the North stand. 

Not how it should be. He had his reasons for leaving and I get why, but he pretended to have a hamstring injury against Forest and then was nowhere to be seen in the run in. I won’t be welcoming him back. 

Thats because st holders are softer and more sentimental..the potg merchants are harder and more likely to boo the ex players..but as we kniw..these days the only fans in the ground are st holders and away fans

14 minutes ago, OrlandoUnTrustful said:

If ever there was a player who lost all goodwill and credibility it’s Steven Fletcher. What he did against Forest was unforgivable for me and I hope he gets booed and then double teamed by Iorfa and Dunkley. I won’t criticise Fox who at least had the decency to see out his deal. 

Fletcher had millions off us over the length of his contract and I hope he never kicks another ball again. Some will say I’m being disgraceful and disgusting etc but your either with us or your the enemy. The same fans who will condemn me will gladly criticise Nuhui who gave everything and extended his contract knowing he probably wouldn’t get a longer deal. That is a player who deserves their affection. Not a snivelling, back stabbing snake. Enjoy playing for a disgusting club in a backwards dump of a place.

Fox also stopped playing when we reached the end of June didn't he?

10 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

The thought has crossed my mind, too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Not being able to do the maths based on the players you have signed and the salaries you have handed out gets you in a financial mess. Fletcher didn't put a gun to the head of the club forcing us to pay him that amount.

He has offered far better value for money than many others in the current era.

He’s got a fairly low peer group tbf. 

Guest OrlandoUnTrustful
1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fox also stopped playing when we reached the end of June didn't he?

Fletcher faked an injury against forest and was never seen again. Fox turned down a new deal but played until his contract expired. For me there is a difference.

1 minute ago, vulva said:

He’s got a fairly low peer group tbf. 

Still blaming him for our financial predicament then? We are allowed to say no when players put forward how much they want to be paid you know. 

43 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Fletcher will get a standing ovation, the boos will be saved for our own players.

Just now, OrlandoUnTrustful said:

Fletcher faked an injury against forest and was never seen again. Fox turned down a new deal but played until his contract expired. For me there is a difference.

Fox could have played until the end of the season regardless of whether he was staying or not, he also chose not to.