Steven Fletcher to Stoke City

8 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Some right sour grapes in this thread. 

Fletcher is a superb striker and was our best player last season. No one can doubt his commitment to the cause. He was one of the most popular figures in the dressing room and behind the scenes.

He did have persistent injury problems and that is the major flaw with him. But for me he gave everything for the cause. 

Anyone who doesn't understand why he didn't play a part in the last few games is naive in my opinion. He needed to stay fit to sign for a new club, no point getting injured and then his career at this level would probably be over. Selfish? Maybe, but you have to make these decisions for your career. Afterall, we clearly weren't going to re-sign him. If that rubs people up the wrong way then they have to consider if they would do the same because I sure would. 

Overall though, it was the right time for him to leave. We need ro restructure the squad and wages. Good luck to him in the future. 

No sour grapes from me, and, I don't think from many others either.  I don't think his goals record would entitle him to "superb striker" nomination. You can't blame low paid working people for being a bit miffed can you. For me, he's been poor value for money over the four years, as have many others. That's not sour grapes, it's my honest opinion.

• Like 3

Was underwhelmed when he came - was annoyed that his wages unsettled FF - was irritated by his injury record and was frustrsted by his finishing (His miss against Cardiff was as much a turning point as the 2-4 Derby day) 

However

I did like his attitude on the pitch despite the fact that wherever he was fouled he instinctively held his head - presumably to check he hadn’t lost any more hair.

Good luck Steven - you weren’t bought for a relegation scrap but your goals this year kept us up. 
thanks 

Just now, 31Dec1966 said:

No sour grapes from me, and, I don't think from many others either.  I don't think his goals record would entitle him to "superb striker" nomination. You can't blame low paid working people for being a bit miffed can you. For me, he's been poor value for money over the four years, as have many others. That's not sour grapes, it's my honest opinion.

I suppose I meant in terms of his contribution when on the pitch. A very skilful and selfless player that contributes a lot in terms of build up play and never gives defenders an easy ride. In fact he's horrible to play against. When you compare him to upfront sloggers in the Championship he is a much more skilful player than most realise. There's no coincidence he played most of his career at the top level and even on loan to Marseille. 

In terms of value for money and injury problems I agree it hasn't been ideal. Unfortunately we had that with most of our expensive players. Something we seemed to be cursed by under Carlos. We do need a different approach personally so it isn't a disaster for me that he's left but I do think that to replace him with a better centre forward with our budget and current appeal we will have to unearth a gem or be lucky for someone to hit the form of their career. I do think people have forgotten or overlooked a lot of the contribution he made last season. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

The disgraced Steven Fletcher.

Hope he enjoys the Coates coinage flooding his bank account whilst he spends 2 more years playing Fortnite on the treatment table.  Mugs.

I reckon he did the right thing. Frustrating for us and sad to see but I don't blame him one bit. 

26 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Pretty standard when a player chooses to leave a club, especially if he's reasonably good. Sometimes it's a bit like the reaction you expect when a teenage girl gets dumped. But for some of these trembling bottom lips, he'd probably have walked the 'Player of the Year' award.

Injuries are clearly an issue with him, but he averaged 34 appearances per season in his 4 years here, so hardly in the Almen Abdi category for absenteeism. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Don't think he has been poor value. I was sceptical when he signed and it was a lot of money but when you consider there was no transfer fee his value for money is far better than some of our other signings.

Yes I would have liked him to play more but some of his injuries occurred because he was willing to put his body on the line and at times Jos decided he couldn't play more than a couple of times a month whereas since then he played more regularly until his unfortunate injury in January.

He offers more than goals so anyone looking plainly at those stats is doing him a disservice. He was pivotal in us finishing 4th and his goal had us on the verge of another play-off final, had he not been subbed we might have made it and he certainly wouldn't have shirked taking a penalty. 

Just now, outlaw pete said:

Good luck to him. He was very well paid at S6 and when the club asked for his help by staying an extra month  he said nope, I am off to count my money..

Like Fox, and FF there won’t a warm welcome for him at Hillsbrough.. 

He wasn't offered a new deal and clearly didn't want to get injured playing games. Unfortunately players don't bleed blue and white they are employee's and he was definitely looking out for himself. Again, its annoying when you realise they aren't robots that will give every fibre for the club but an expectation of reality has to come into play. It was a huge shame but given the situation a lot of players did the same. 

34 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Fletcher is a superb striker and was our best player last season. No one can doubt his commitment to the cause. He was one of the most popular figures in the dressing room and behind the scenes.

He did have persistent injury problems and that is the major flaw with him. But for me he gave everything for the cause. 

Anyone who doesn't understand why he didn't play a part in the last few games is naive in my opinion. He needed to stay fit to sign for a new club, no point getting injured and then his career at this level would probably be over. Selfish? Maybe, but you have to make these decisions for your career. Afterall, we clearly weren't going to re-sign him. If that rubs people up the wrong way then they have to consider if they would do the same because I sure would. 

Overall though, it was the right time for him to leave. We need ro restructure the squad and wages. Good luck to him in the future. 

Superb? That pushing it. Decent Championship level striker with average goal scoring record.  

Fletcher has got a very good agent. For his ability he’s had a very good career, financially. 

The way he left was disgraceful. 4 years on very big money and couldn’t give us a few weeks more. I’ll give Nuhui the respect he deserves but if anyone does that standing ovation ballacks for ex players thing with Fletcher I’ll happily kick them in the bottom for 20 minutes. 

Players like Fletcher get you in the mess we are in. Mercenaries. 

• Like 3

Guest Grez Bez

Every player is a mercenary, it's a job.

You need to realize this and stop treating any ex player like a ex girlfriend.who'd found a new boyfriend.

6 minutes ago, Grez Bez said:

Every player is a mercenary, it's a job.

You need to realize this and stop treating any ex player like a ex girlfriend.who'd found a new boyfriend.

Not quite. These are very strange circumstances. Quite a few others players understood that. 

You need to realise that footballers are not superstars that you fawn down to, in your full kit aged 47 and SWFC car sticker. If they behave like waankers, treat them like waankers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

Not quite. These are very strange circumstances. Quite a few others players understood that. 

You need to realise that footballers are not superstars that you fawn down to, in your full kit aged 47 and SWFC car sticker. If they behave like waankers, treat them like waankers. 

Made me chuckle. 

To be fair it comes down to what fans demand of their team, bleeding blue and white. All the expectations. 

And a player that hasn't been offered a new contract, injury prone and clearly wants to be fit to continue his career. That's the reality. Players are all money grabbers and in it for themselves. Not many aren't. So on reflection I'd do exactly the same. 

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

Made me chuckle. 

To be fair it comes down to what fans demand of their team, bleeding blue and white. All the expectations. 

And a player that hasn't been offered a new contract, injury prone and clearly wants to be fit to continue his career. That's the reality. Players are all money grabbers and in it for themselves. Not many aren't. So on reflection I'd do exactly the same. 

I can see both sides of the argument on this. What grinds my gears is that I guarantee some knucklehead will give him a standing ovation when he comes back with Stoke. Stood up, arms out, look at me type standing ovation. Zipped up tracksuit top, diabetic belly and breath like cat litter. You know the type. 

• Haha 3

Just now, vulva said:

I can see both sides of the argument on this. What grinds my gears is that I guarantee some knucklehead will give him a standing ovation when he comes back with Stoke. Stood up, arms out, look at me type standing ovation. Zipped up tracksuit top, diabetic belly and breath like cat litter. You know the type. 

I’d boo both Fletch and Fox. It’s what we used to do. But for some reasons we’ve turned into the most softest and sentimental fanbase going.

Like the time we gave Tony McMahon a standing ovation when he came off for Boro. He’d played about 8 games for us.

• Like 1