BREAKING NEWS - Garry Monk brings in new staff and appoints new assistant manager

9 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

He thinks it's a step up doesn't he or he wouldnt have made the move.

I would have thought moving from Premiership U23 coach to Championship First Team Coach is a clear step up. Even if at a lower level the responsibilities are greater and the profile higher.

Hughes also comes across as a man who thinks strategically about his career development and who consciously seeks out opportunities to broaden his experience. The fact he's taken the job suggests he thinks it will be a career boosting move.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

It's a step up for him isnt it from u23 coach. But Perhaps we are trying overlapping centre backs next season and Monk needs to know how it's done.

That’s the first time I’ve heard of United playing with overlapping centre-backs. I’ll have to look out for that next time I watch them.

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Conversely what if next season brings an exciting new dawn with the club finally starting to emerge from the depression we've been, and are currently, languishing in? Will the people who have stated that they'll never accept Monk change their tune?

Personally I'm fine with Monk being retained and being allowed to bring in his own support team. I'm realistic enough to know though that it's imperative that Monk and his team show clear progression next season. I've no doubt too that my idea of progression will differ from others. For me avoiding relegation, establishing a clear identity, solid foundations, and a modicum of entertainment will evidence that. 

It's just opinions though and others will differ. I do think however that burying the metaphorical hatchet for a while will likely be more beneficial to the club than the existing continual sniping.

Day, I’ve been a ferocious critic of Monk, and still think he should have gone. But I’ve never said, and I’ve not seen anyone else say they will ever accept him. I want him to succeed here and hope these changes help him to do it. I will happily eat the biggest ever humble pie if he turns this round. By the same token, if we are still in negative points by Christmas I will also be entitled to say he should have gone. Only time will tell!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

It's hard enough being a Wednesday fan under normal circumstances, but I'm ready to get behind Monk for another go. He's cleared out a lot of the players that several managers have had issues with - although a few are still left because they're contracted until next year. He's brought in his own staff, and started to bring in promising youngsters. He's also a manager with experience in the circumstances we find ourselves.

Hopefully this can be a new start for him. And also a foundation that will start to attract the kind of players we will need for next season's fight.

We, as Wednesday fans, need to recognise the part we need to play also. Too often we stand for what we are against too quickly. Morgan Fox and Cameron Dawson are but two that were greatly hampered by battering from fans. Morgan Fox managed to play himself out of it - after a long time in the wilderness... and where did it lead to? When his contract was up he went elsewhere. Is it any surprise? Would you want to continue playing for a team whose fans displayed such vehement opposition to you for a period of time?

We have many examples of players who were great elsewhere who turned into dorks for Wednesday - including some in the current squad.

It's a very difficult balance to have, but I do find our fans go over the edge sometimes and simply get personal for the sake of it. If our manager is worth his salt, he'll know who is playing well and who isn't.

This is season is EVERYONE's fight. Ourselves included. We need to get behind the team, support them, give them confidence and passionately applaud effort. We need to stand up and be the 12th man on the pitch. There's plenty of examples of teams that do better than the sum of their players - Wigan, 2nd half of last season, Utd, both in their promotion year and in the Premier League.

Passion, support, unity, encouragement is what we need right now.

This is exactly what I've been saying, now more than ever we all need to put the differences to one side and pull together for the good of the team 

I remember working with a couple of lads years ago who were Man City fans, it was just after we'd been relegated out of the Prem and i was still on the Premier return ticket bandwagon and the season after they'd just won the 3rd division play off in the last minute, and we was talking about each others problems and how they were on the rise and we were on the decline.

One of the things that stood out about they're one year in the 3rd was their support I think they averaged 28k at the time we were not getting that in the Prem and i asked them about it and the response always stuck with me, and it was simply everyone of the fan base and supporters groups realised they were in the mire and they only way out of it was to just relentlessly back the team, they was issues with the ownership some of them didn't fancy Joe Royal but even when they were struggling they didn't turn that season they just stayed with it 

you may hate Chansiri, you may hate Monk or you may hate both of them, but this is the situation we find ourselves in and the cards we have we been dealt and until we are out of it we need to unify and support, if we fail miserably then we can turn on the manager and owner, but at this point for the 2020/21 season we haven't yet so lets support them and we may be pleasantly surprised where positivity instead of Negativity can get you 

3 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

This is exactly what I've been saying, now more than ever we all need to put the differences to one side and pull together for the good of the team 

I remember working with a couple of lads years ago who were Man City fans, it was just after we'd been relegated out of the Prem and i was still on the Premier return ticket bandwagon and the season after they'd just won the 3rd division play off in the last minute, and we was talking about each others problems and how they were on the rise and we were on the decline.

One of the things that stood out about they're one year in the 3rd was their support I think they averaged 28k at the time we were not getting that in the Prem and i asked them about it and the response always stuck with me, and it was simply everyone of the fan base and supporters groups realised they were in the mire and they only way out of it was to just relentlessly back the team, they was issues with the ownership some of them didn't fancy Joe Royal but even when they were struggling they didn't turn that season they just stayed with it 

you may hate Chansiri, you may hate Monk or you may hate both of them, but this is the situation we find ourselves in and the cards we have we been dealt and until we are out of it we need to unify and support, if we fail miserably then we can turn on the manager and owner, but at this point for the 2020/21 season we haven't yet so lets support them and we may be pleasantly surprised where positivity instead of Negativity can get you 

One thing helped Man City and thats a fecking huge takeover.

Just now, Blue and white said:

One thing helped Man City and thats a fecking huge takeover.

Not in 1999 when they were in the 3rd division it didnt 

20 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Nowt wrong with those views Plonkers IMO.

Just one thing regarding the emboldened bit; not you admittedly but arguably his most relentless critic on here said just that only yesterday.

Fair enough. I spend way too much time on here, but do miss the odd post. I honestly dont believe any real wednesdayite wants him to fail, but that recent poll suggests a large proportion think he is doing. I really hope I’m wrong.....because if I’m right it’s going to be horrible.

When he was appointed I thought he wasn't the right choice. I'm horrified by what's happened since Christmas but thought his work in the first part of the season meant he had earned  bit of patience - even though I'm still not confident he's the bloke for us. His inability to bring in his own team was another reason I felt a bit sorry for him. These appointments clearly show he's going nowhere fast but there are now no excuses either. Let's hope Monk's the man. 

51 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

When he was appointed I thought he wasn't the right choice. I'm horrified by what's happened since Christmas but thought his work in the first part of the season meant he had earned  bit of patience - even though I'm still not confident he's the bloke for us. His inability to bring in his own team was another reason I felt a bit sorry for him. These appointments clearly show he's going nowhere fast but there are now no excuses either. Let's hope Monk's the man. 

I keep reading this sentiment on here since this news broke, but although these appointments are long overdue and will certainly have given Monk a boost, unless the chairman backs him properly in the transfer market, then he still won't have a fighting chance of overturning our points deduction and keeping us up next season.

Hopefully the chairman is able to remove any remaining 'excuses', but as things stand, Monk's yet to be given the conditions in which realistically expect a successful season.

Failure of leadership. Doubling down on a mistake. I hope I'm wrong because I'm a Wednesday fan and do want us to be successful.  Basically Monk needs to transform in to someone else because nothing was good enough last year. Over all we played crap most of the season. Fletcher blistering for helped the first half as we got results we didn't always deserve that's why we didn't stick up there we fell down as the luck ran out and Fletcher and his goals went while he was injured. I need to see radical change I can't see him doing and his style of blaming players and not taking any responsibility till people put him under pressure to be gone. Basically it's just poo and unless this works I now think that would mean Chansiri would need to go too. I've liked and supported Chansiri  but this right now just seem as a really stupid decision.  I tried to see a way to positivity about it but as you can see I just hit reality. Months more poo. 

PS love how it automatically changes the word Sh@t to poo lol

Edited by ashley8
  • Haha 1

Had my rant yesterday, calmed down.  Still feel the same regarding the new  " team "  

However, like every match day i'll be getting behind em and hoping that this is finally the moment that they will prove themselves right and many of us including myself wrong.

As always

Up the Owls !!!

14 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I keep reading this sentiment on here since this news broke, but although these appointments are long overdue and will certainly have given Monk a boost, unless the chairman backs him properly in the transfer market, then he still won't have a fighting chance of overturning our points deduction and keeping us up next season.

Hopefully the chairman is able to remove any remaining 'excuses', but as things stand, Monk's yet to be given the conditions in which realistically expect a successful season.

Not having any brass isn't an excuse. It's the job he was signed up to. But he should be able to pick his own management team.  

25 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Not having any brass isn't an excuse. It's the job he was signed up to. But he should be able to pick his own management team. 

I'd say less an 'excuse' and more a reason why we might struggle if our chairman and recruitment team aren't able to bring in the kind of players required to feasibly steer us safe from relegation.

As I say, it's a long overdue improvement to the conditions in which Monk's been working, but I still don't look at our squad and think we're going to be anything other than relegation certs unless a lot changes in the next month or so. That's partly down to the manager of course, but it's also down to the chairman and the rest of his recruitment team to help provide the manager with the rest of the tools required to succeed in his job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Nowt wrong with those views Plonkers IMO.

Just one thing regarding the emboldened bit; not you admittedly but arguably his most relentless critic on here said just that only yesterday.

That be me?

A58F2E22-5CEE-4D0D-AF81-A0EF08AEDD10.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

I like what Hughes said about his time with Wilder...The first things are outrun, outfight and outplay teams regardless of anything else. I'll take that from any Wednesday team and I think the majority of our supporters will do the same.

If that happens Davey then that's fair enough and what we all want from the team , I will give Monk time and will hold my hands up if he delivers ,but not ready to jump for joy yet,