BREAKING NEWS - Garry Monk brings in new staff and appoints new assistant manager

Guest Kagoshimaowl
19 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I'd never heard of Andrew Hughes before, but when I first read of the triple appointment he was the one whose name stuck in my mind. His resume is impressive and he comes across as being smart, capable and ambitious. If he's as good as he appears it could be a transformational appointment.

I was interested to read that he has ambitions of first team management. One to keep man eye on for the future?

Maybe he could replace Monk after he gets sacked at Xmas!

1 hour ago, Owls-Fan said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/points-deductions-wilder-and-taking-garry-monks-side-david-wagner-spat-introducing-new-sheffield-wednesday-coach-andrew-hughes-2940666%3famp

This is quite interesting, Hughes seems to be a coach that can get leadership out of players and was integral in helping the Leeds side that had the 15 point deduction.  

enjoyed reading that. Like the sound of Hughes, sounds like a leader and will say what he’s thinking. Exactly what we need imo. 

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Thing is if we improve from here on in then understandably the point is going to be made that it is largely down to the new coaching staff and not ****?

Then the pro-**** camp will turn round and said well it was his choice to bring them in so whichever way you look at it, the opinion that **** is not a very good manager will never be accepted by the pro-**** camp?

What I’ll never understand is why virtually 100% of the fan base were ready to accept Lukuhay wasn’t up to it with his horrendous record but not **** with his currently more horrendous record?

Anyway he has his staff around him now and I suppose we have to accept that he’s going to be here for the foreseeable future. I hope he proves me wrong but it’s not as if he’s been more more successful in the past with his own staff around him and I don’t see this cloud of criticism that currently hangs over ****’s head disappearing anytime soon?

Read an article about the 23 first team staff that Klopp has hired since joining Liverpool. Some will have joined him for the first time but some follow him from club to club, maybe his success is largely down to his staff and not Klopp himself?

9 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Read an article about the 23 first team staff that Klopp has hired since joining Liverpool. Some will have joined him for the first time but some follow him from club to club, maybe his success is largely down to his staff and not Klopp himself?

Wasnt alot of what Dave Jones done down to Terry Burton. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sacré bleu said:

My thoughts are that if Monk is supposedly such a poor manager why would Hughes who appears to be an ambitious coach learning his trade want to work under him? 

It's a step up for him isnt it from u23 coach. But Perhaps we are trying overlapping centre backs next season and Monk needs to know how it's done.

7 minutes ago, sacré bleu said:

My thoughts are that if Monk is supposedly such a poor manager why would Hughes who appears to be an ambitious coach learning his trade want to work under him? 

Probably because he can see a job opportunity potentially appearing sometime soon? 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

It's hard enough being a Wednesday fan under normal circumstances, but I'm ready to get behind Monk for another go. He's cleared out a lot of the players that several managers have had issues with - although a few are still left because they're contracted until next year. He's brought in his own staff, and started to bring in promising youngsters. He's also a manager with experience in the circumstances we find ourselves.

Hopefully this can be a new start for him. And also a foundation that will start to attract the kind of players we will need for next season's fight.

We, as Wednesday fans, need to recognise the part we need to play also. Too often we stand for what we are against too quickly. Morgan Fox and Cameron Dawson are but two that were greatly hampered by battering from fans. Morgan Fox managed to play himself out of it - after a long time in the wilderness... and where did it lead to? When his contract was up he went elsewhere. Is it any surprise? Would you want to continue playing for a team whose fans displayed such vehement opposition to you for a period of time?

We have many examples of players who were great elsewhere who turned into dorks for Wednesday - including some in the current squad.

It's a very difficult balance to have, but I do find our fans go over the edge sometimes and simply get personal for the sake of it. If our manager is worth his salt, he'll know who is playing well and who isn't.

This is season is EVERYONE's fight. Ourselves included. We need to get behind the team, support them, give them confidence and passionately applaud effort. We need to stand up and be the 12th man on the pitch. There's plenty of examples of teams that do better than the sum of their players - Wigan, 2nd half of last season, Utd, both in their promotion year and in the Premier League.

Passion, support, unity, encouragement is what we need right now.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

So I thought I’d give my opinion on the 3 new coaches and predict what they might offer going forward?

Beattie - I might be wrong but this maybe the first time he’s been an assistant manager though he has been a manager before at Accrington? Good striker in his day. The improvement in the likes of Wood, Adams and Jutkiewicz seems to have been placed at Beattie’s door and given how sh!t our strikers have been this last 12 months with the obvious exception of Fletcher understandably so? Maybe the days of hero worshipping a goalscorer will be back soon?

Flahavan - If as seems likely Wildsmith or Dawson are first choice next season then he has the most important role to play? A fresh pair of eyes in the building and a new voice for JW & CD. All they’ve known is Andy Rhodes and Nicky Weaver who have both worked with them from early in their careers right through from their Academy days. Potentially the most crucial of the 3 appointments?

Hughes - Seems to have had some success as a coach? Helped Huddersfield to promotion as part of Wagner’s team. Played in the Leeds side that made up 15 points on the rest. Has experience of working with both senior and young professionals. Could be an inspired appointment?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

It's a step up for him isnt it from u23 coach. But Perhaps we are trying overlapping centre backs next season and Monk needs to know how it's done.

Is it a step up for coach of a premier League under 23 side to a team that's 12 points adrift at the bottom of the championship? He could have bided his time and waited for a less challenging move or perhaps he has some information about what's happened inside the club over the last few months and has more faith that Monk is capable of turning things around than some of us do.

3 minutes ago, sacré bleu said:

Is it a step up for coach of a premier League under 23 side to a team that's 12 points adrift at the bottom of the championship? He could have bided his time and waited for a less challenging move or perhaps he has some information about what's happened inside the club over the last few months and has more faith that Monk is capable of turning things around than some of us do.

He thinks it's a step up doesn't he or he wouldnt have made the move.