Hungry lower league players

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Isn’t that the point though? You can take a chance on a few, some will work, others fail but you still spend less than buying proven players who’ve been there and done it? 

There’s no guarantee, bigger and better clubs than ours get transfers wrong all the time. The trick is to limit risk and maximise reward. Our past dealings (3-5 years back) the reward was deemed getting promotion so we didn’t sell players at their peek or buy players with a view to selling them on. Instead buying players to achieve a goal. I think times have already changed and last few windows been different to a degree.

Now need to go one step further and reset a bit with cheaper options. 

It’s a difficult one. Because if we beat Hull or held on against Udders and won the final, people would say our recruitment strategy was genius. After all Wolves did similar to us but on a larger scale and look where they are now. 

To be honest I look at a club like Leeds who I think have got it spot on over the past few seasons. Have sold popular players but reinvested wisely. However they have a much better academy than us and seem to produce 2 or 3 very good young players every season. 

Mistakes were made in 2016/17 taking big gambles on expensive players who turned out to be rubbish. Obviously we can’t do this again. But we still need to recruit players who are good enough for the league. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s a difficult one. Because if we beat Hull or held on against Udders and won the final, people would say our recruitment strategy was genius. After all Wolves did similar to us but on a larger scale and look where they are now. 

To be honest I look at a club like Leeds who I think have got it spot on over the past few seasons. Have sold popular players but reinvested wisely. However they have a much better academy than us and seem to produce 2 or 3 very good young players every season. 

Mistakes were made in 2016/17 taking big gambles on expensive players who turned out to be rubbish. Obviously we can’t do this again. But we still need to recruit players who are good enough for the league. 

Leeds went into administration twice in the not so distant past but got away with it pretty lightly. You are right though they have sold at the correct time and sold for good money. They are a one club city which also helps their youth recruitment , while we have to battle with the Blunts (and its much vaunted accademy) for local talent.

We can come up with all the names of players WE want. It does not matter what offers are made, what we can afford,. It depends on whether the player wants to come! If he doesn't, we can be going after world-beaters , and he doesn't want to come, then that's it.  

2 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Leeds went into administration twice in the not so distant past but got away with it pretty lightly. You are right though they have sold at the correct time and sold for good money. They are a one club city which also helps their youth recruitment , while we have to battle with the Blunts (and its much vaunted accademy) for local talent.

What they did was,they  started their league one campaign on minus 15 points,thought they were hard done to,thought right ya f--kers,we'll show ya,absolutely cruised thru the league programme,and with who at the helm,that wimbledon geezer Dennis wise,no real record as a coach/manager got em fired up,the same could/might happen at SWFC next season with a guy who has managed before,bring it on,thats what i say.

1 minute ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

What they did was,they  started their league one campaign on minus 15 points,thought they were hard done to,thought right ya f--kers,we'll show ya,absolutely cruised thru the league programme,and with who at the helm,that wimbledon geezer Dennis wise,no real record as a coach/manager got em fired up,the same could/might happen at SWFC next season with a guy who has managed before,bring it on,thats what i say.

Agree the 12 points is possible to negate and with teams such as Wycombe, Rotherham, Luton and Barnsley I think if we can get another 5 or 6 players in relegation is not the most daunting issue. Doing a Leeds and actually bombing the league doubtful at best. The Jury is very much out on Monk it is time for him to deliver.

1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Agree the 12 points is possible to negate and with teams such as Wycombe, Rotherham, Luton and Barnsley I think if we can get another 5 or 6 players in relegation is not the most daunting issue. Doing a Leeds and actually bombing the league doubtful at best. The Jury is very much out on Monk it is time for him to deliver.

If the players had delivered , we wouldn'y be so deep in the mire.

The season that Leeds had the 15 point deduction, they did not bomb the league. They would however have finished 2nd if it weren't for the deduction. Lost in play-offs to Donny and then bottled it the following season.

8 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

The season that Leeds had the 15 point deduction, they did not bomb the league. They would however have finished 2nd if it weren't for the deduction. Lost in play-offs to Donny and then bottled it the following season.

Remember Donny Rovers beating Leeds in play off final .

13 hours ago, Pieman said:

Absolutely correct. It’s about the team and not the individual players. Of course, before people jump on my back, the championship demands a certain level of individual capability, a 100%. However, it is creating a situation where 1~1=3 in team sport. I can give a very simple example. Fletcher and Bannan had a 1+1=3 relationship. When Bannan had the ball, Fletcher would instinctively make the run, Bannan would know where he was headed and play a pass ‘in anticipation’ of Fletcher arriving there. Now multiply that concept across your entire team and you’ve hit the jackpot.

Exactly bud. Although rugby was always my game, I played a lot of years at Sunday league in a team with 3 of my mates from school. The level is different, but the principle is still there. We automatically new where the others would be. If made a run one of the others would cover his run and vice versa if someone was out of position one of us would step in with the others without thinking, not rocket science just tactical awerness and teamwork. 

How many times over the last few years have you watched us and we look lost or like 11 guys playing together for the first time??. Especially criminal when we had 5/6 players sometimes that had been in the first team here 5 years + it's criminal. 

• Like 1

There may be one or two decent players to be had from lower leagues, although the better players are going to be known and not cheap. But if you build a team of lower league players then regardless of how hungry they may be, you will end up with a lower league team.

• Like 3

I think, as a Championship club, looking for quality in the lower leagues, you do have to have a reasonable budget, as a half decent younger player will still cost you a few million. There are plenty of names, often mentioned on here, who thrive in the lower leagues, but who would find it very difficult to step up. 
When I am considering a particular player, I look at their age, is there room for improvement, and their skill set. Back when we spent all that money on Rhodes and Winnall, I was adamant that it wouldn’t work, and at the time, was pushing for us to move for Watkins, then at Exeter. Both Rhodes and Winnall would probably do well in League One, but just a cursory glance, would tell you both players had limited all round football ability, and would struggle at this level in today’s game.

1 hour ago, kobayashi said:

There may be one or two decent players to be had from lower leagues, although the better players are going to be known and not cheap. But if you build a team of lower league players then regardless of how hungry they may be, you will end up with a lower league team.

Exactly this, for every decent league 1/2 player you sign, you'll sign 6/7 poor ones. Can you guarantee a quality player for your money...no

24 minutes ago, thommowl said:

Exactly this, for every decent league 1/2 player you sign, you'll sign 6/7 poor ones. Can you guarantee a quality player for your money...no

think what people are saying is yes you might get some that doesn't hit it off but you only need 1/2 to hit it off and you've already made your money back that you spent if not made profit!

We've signed big names on big wages and as you put it yourself:

26 minutes ago, thommowl said:

Can you guarantee a quality player for your money...no

There's lots of other routes to look down, Lower leagues & abroad in the lower leagues of Germany France Italy etc...

We need to change our mindset and look at other avenues because the recruitment has been shocking.