Hungry lower league players

1 hour ago, jonnyowl said:

It worries me when people suggest we serach the lower leagues. We don't need hungry league one and league two players.

We need players who have the quality to play in the championship. Some of those will come from the lower leagues, some might come from the premiership on loan and some should come from other championship clubs!

I want to see good players being signed!

For me its always about mentality. 

Many managers have proven down the years you can build a side with very few stars in it, but with the right attitude, organisation and teamwork you can gain success. 

Theres a lot to be gained from hard work, endeaver and a will to succeed. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, and most players who might have the skill sets at that level, to make the step up, would cost a lot of money. Better looking at fringe players at the top flight clubs, youngsters I mean, and possibly on loan Generally they will have a greater range of skills, if not experience, and they should still be “hungry” We don’t actually require experience in leagues one and two

Altho it has served clubs like Burnley, Bournemouth and the Pigs well...

16 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

For me its always about mentality. 

Many managers have proven down the years you can build a side with very few stars in it, but with the right attitude, organisation and teamwork you can gain success. 

Theres a lot to be gained from hard work, endeaver and a will to succeed. 

Absolutely correct. It’s about the team and not the individual players. Of course, before people jump on my back, the championship demands a certain level of individual capability, a 100%. However, it is creating a situation where 1~1=3 in team sport. I can give a very simple example. Fletcher and Bannan had a 1+1=3 relationship. When Bannan had the ball, Fletcher would instinctively make the run, Bannan would know where he was headed and play a pass ‘in anticipation’ of Fletcher arriving there. Now multiply that concept across your entire team and you’ve hit the jackpot.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Doesn't and never has meant swfc have no money.

None we can spend to comply with FFP.We have been losing 30million a year but if you think we have money to spend we may not have a club if you were in charge. Do you not remember before MM bought us the wolves were at the door with a quater of the debt we are now in. 

Just now, ZicoSterland2 said:

None we can spend to comply with FFP.We have been losing 30million a year but if you think we have money to spend we may not have a club if you were in charge. Do you not remember before MM bought us the wolves were at the door with a quater of the debt we are now in. 

What does me being in charge have to do with FFP/P&S  regs,i'll tell ya absolutely nothing,it was slightly amusing tho,so thanks for that.

And if i remember in 2010 SWFC prior to Mandaric owed money to HMRC for unpaid taxes,Millions to the CO-OP Bank,external debts,which took SWFC to the brink of administration,none of which has happened under the current incumbent.

Why does it have to be leagues 1 & 2 ?.

There’s the whole of Europe, even beyond depending on work permit status.

Lets not confine ourselves to the lower leagues. Borner was a good example of picking up a previously unknown player and the speculation about Venancio would indicate the recruitment team are casting their net a bit wider.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

What does me being in charge have to do with FFP/P&S  regs,i'll tell ya absolutely nothing,it was slightly amusing tho,so thanks for that.

And if i remember in 2010 SWFC prior to Mandaric owed money to HMRC for unpaid taxes,Millions to the CO-OP Bank,external debts,which took SWFC to the brink of administration,none of which has happened under the current incumbent.

So your happy with sustainability at the club. How long do you think DC can keep pumping 30million in year on year ? If we don't cut spending where do you really think we are heading ? That thought is not amusing.

Edited by ZicoSterland2

7 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

You need to invest so much time into scouring the lower leagues.

Exactly what Wilder has done and they're reaping the benefits. 

Actually, you don't.

Wilder went and signed players anyone who watched League One football knew were among the best in that league last couple of seasons, were at right age and cheap enough to make them worth a gamble.

It is not like he went and pulled out of his hat some terrific player no one before heard about.

• Like 2

Just now, ZicoSterland2 said:

So your happy with sustainability at the club. How long do you think DC can keep pumping 30million in year on year ? If we don't cut spending where do you really think we are heading ? 

Now ya see,this is where things start getting silly,words inserted to something that i never said,How long is a piece of string,and the spending has been curtailed for two seasons now,shows a different direction to before,and we are heading in the right direction.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, malek said:

Actually, you don't.

Wilder went and signed players anyone who watched League One football knew were among the best in that league last couple of seasons, were at right age and cheap enough to make them worth a gamble.

It is not like he went and pulled out of his hat some terrific player no one before heard about.

Yep. He also signed players who came through Premier League academies but ‘lost their way’ slightly but had the right attitude to want to prove themselves. Stevens, Lundstram, Fleck, O’Connell. 

But let’s not forget he also made some signings which didn’t work out. A fair few. Leonard, Lavery, Lafferty, Holmes, Evans - all players who would be classed as ‘young and hungry’. 

2 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Now ya see,this is where things start getting silly,words inserted to something that i never said,How long is a piece of string,and the spending has been curtailed for two seasons now,shows a different direction to before,and we are heading in the right direction.

Oh well you fantasise over the wedge of money we have and the championship proven players we are going to recruit. While I believe it will be youngsters , free transfers , loanees and budget transfers. We shall see but I know which is the more likely outcome.

1 minute ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Oh well you fantasise over the wedge of money we have and the championship proven players we are going to recruit. While I believe it will be youngsters , free transfers , loanees and budget transfers. We shall see but I know which is the more likely outcome.

I'll refer you to the answer i gave a few moments ago,inserting words into something that wasn't said.

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yep. He also signed players who came through Premier League academies but ‘lost their way’ slightly but had the right attitude to want to prove themselves. Stevens, Lundstram, Fleck, O’Connell. 

But let’s not forget he also made some signings which didn’t work out. A fair few. Leonard, Lavery, Lafferty, Holmes, Evans - all players who would be classed as ‘young and hungry’. 

Isn’t that the point though? You can take a chance on a few, some will work, others fail but you still spend less than buying proven players who’ve been there and done it? 

There’s no guarantee, bigger and better clubs than ours get transfers wrong all the time. The trick is to limit risk and maximise reward. Our past dealings (3-5 years back) the reward was deemed getting promotion so we didn’t sell players at their peek or buy players with a view to selling them on. Instead buying players to achieve a goal. I think times have already changed and last few windows been different to a degree.

Now need to go one step further and reset a bit with cheaper options. 

• Like 1

I watch a fair bit of league 1 footy at MK dons when we are away and I can’t go . My kids get in free at the dons so cheap way to see football.

the standard at that level is awful, it’s a big gap quality wise between the championship and league 1. The few gems go for decent money. The centre half at Oxford for example, lovely footballer but I bet they get 3 million for him.  Most players at league 1 level are pretty formulaic in the way they play and will he found out in the championship.

we could probably get better quality from overseas on the cheap 

• Like 1