Hungry lower league players

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 01:53, matthefish2002 said:

I dont think many people would argue about trying to sign good players in early 20s that deserve a chance in the Championship.
Problem is 80% of clubs are trying to do the same.
But as Brentford have showed it is possible.

Brentford have a decent track record of doing it.

8 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Brentford have a decent track record of doing it.

Because they look for different things in players. For example, they would never have signed a Fletcher, Rhodes or Winnall. It’s like our recruitment team was sourced from Owlstalk. As fans, we often champion Brentford, and the way they do things, but continue to clamour for limited footballers like those mentioned above. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Is the League One wage cap coming in next season?

Could mean there's suddenly a lot of top end League One players becoming available and perhaps all we would have to do is match their current wages.

Any contracts they are still currently on will stand as normal.

Edited by pazowl55

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Because they look for different things in players. For example, they would never have signed a Fletcher, Rhodes or Winnall. It’s like our recruitment team was sourced from Owlstalk. As fans, we often champion Brentford, and the way they do things, but continue to clamour for limited footballers like those mentioned above. 

Wait till Monk signs a Fletcher type in the next few weeks.

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not just that but we champion their approach but refuse to allow it in practice. If we sign a player we expect them to be immediately in first team or immediately playing to a finished article standard. One bad game and we clamour for our past favourites to return, a few bad games we may even sing a song for a seasoned pro to replace them. 

You can’t buy cheaply and develop players without allowing them to develop and unfortunately we as fans and manager and chairman seem more interested in spending big on more proven players. It’s not just the club that needs to change their mindset but we would too. Booing a prospect trying to make a step up is hardly a nurturing environment. 

• Like 3

Brentford have been excellent business wise as have Bristol C.

The latter have failed to make the top six as a result though and until P&S started to bite so did Brentford who will presumably lose a few players now too. 

Brentford have been one of the most attractive teams to watch this season and I was rooting for them. But I’d rather compete with them than Fulham.

Like Peterborough in League One though, they have a nice culture for players to come in and use that club as a platform. Are they really that bothered about promotion? Might that change with a new stadium. I always thought that if you stick that team in a Wednesday or Leeds kit with a sulky crowd you’d get a different tune from them.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Brentford wouldnt want “limited” footballers like Fletcher who moved for 15m at one point and played for some top

clubs?

Or Rhodes or Winnall who scored plenty prior to moving here.

Those two later players are the example of why we can’t simply copy Brentford as some players seem to perform better at smaller clubs. Look at Hogan after he left, who would fit into the Rhodes and Winnall bracket when at Rochdale. Or Jota/Dean when he they and went to Birmingham. 

I think we do need to change our MO and look for younger talent but it’s difficult playing for Wednesday 

Edited by Bluesteel

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Brentford have been excellent business wise as have Bristol C.

The latter have failed to make the top six as a result though and until P&S started to bite so did Brentford who will presumably lose a few players now too. 

Brentford have been one of the most attractive teams to watch this season and I was rooting for them. But I’d rather compete with them than Fulham.

Like Peterborough in League One though, they have a nice culture for players to come in and use that club as a platform. Are they really that bothered about promotion? Might that change with a new stadium. I always thought that if you stick that team in a Wednesday or Leeds kit with a sulky crowd you’d get a different tune from them.

I actually think you have something there. Both Brentford and Peterborough appear to be useful stepping stones for talented players who might be a little overawed by moving to a “so called” bigger club. I don’t think it’s just Wednesday in that regard, I think it’s probably all clubs where expectations are high

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Brentford wouldnt want “limited” footballers like Fletcher who moved for 15m at one point and played for some top

clubs?

Or Rhodes or Winnall who scored plenty prior to moving here.

Those two later players are the example of why we can’t simply copy Brentford as some players seem to perform better at smaller clubs. Look at Hogan after he left, who would fit into the Rhodes and Winnall bracket when at Rochdale. Or Jota/Dean when he they and went to Birmingham. 

I think we do need to change our MO and look for younger talent but it’s difficult playing for Wednesday 

That’s my point though, plenty of players score goals, but these days, that alone is not enough At the same time as we were signing Rhodes and Winnall, I was advocating us to move for Watkins, then at Exeter. Most posters would point to the goals record of Rhodes and Winnall, saying, I must be mad. 
Watkins had a better all round game, even back then, than those two, and would have only cost a fraction of the price. As we already had plenty of attacking options, we could have afforded him the time to bed in

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That’s my point though, plenty of players score goals, but these days, that alone is not enough At the same time as we were signing Rhodes and Winnall, I was advocating us to move for Watkins, then at Exeter. Most posters would point to the goals record of Rhodes and Winnall, saying, I must be mad. 
Watkins had a better all round game, even back then, than those two, and would have only cost a fraction of the price. As we already had plenty of attacking options, we could have afforded him the time to bed in

But we wasnt in the sign promising players stage then was we. We were in the sign the finished article to get us over the line type players.

11 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

But we wasnt in the sign promising players stage then was we. We were in the sign the finished article to get us over the line type players.

I don’t know what stage we were in, but the era for those “get us over the line” players, had long since passed Sides at this level, even then, couldn’t carry players like those.

Edited by gurujuan

24 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t think it was a like for like comparison as an either or. I was also one and there were plenty of fans talking about how good Watkins was. Andre Gray another, if we had money for Rhodes why not try and buy him a season earlier. Both those players have more pace and athleticism. I’ve never understood why we haven’t tried for players like that but we are not the only ones. 

But in both Winnall and Rhodes they had great records at this level and would’ve seemed safe bets. In many ways Winnall was for 500k and would’ve made a nice profit but for injury. With Rhodes he started well but I think it’s all in his head 

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t know what stage we were in, but the era for those “get us over the line” players, had long since passed Sides at this level, even then, couldn’t carry players like those.

There were only 3 sides above us in the league after the second season. 90 mins away the season before. Problem was the short term approach which failed but it’s changing now.

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

There were only 3 sides above us in the league after the second season. 90 mins away the season before. Problem was the short term approach which failed but it’s changing now.

Totally agree re the short term approach, but arguably we had far more movement and technical ability in our front players then, than we’ve had of late. Forestieri, Hooper and Joao, all had good skills, and good movement

10 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

I personally don't understand why a few people on here seem to have such resentment for them punching well above their weight, doing it within the rules and one source reckoned that the team who came within 90 minutes of the Premier League had the division's fourth lowest budget. How does all of that compare with us, especially when you factor in them routinely having average home attendances half the size of ours? 

But if that list shames us; how about this one? Here's a few examples of their recent transfer activity...

BOUGHT (£m)      SOLD (£m)

Neal Maupay             1.6                    19.8

Chris Mepham       (B team)               12.2

Andre Gray                0.6                    11.1

Ezri Konsa                 2.5                    12.0 

Scott Hogan               0.8                     9.5 

Ryan Woods              1.0                     6.5

Jota                            1.2                     5.7

Dont get me wrong, i really like Brentford for many reasons including family.

I absolutely agree that their selling policy shames us and we were fools in this regard but apparently were trying to get promoted, Brentford were stabilising.

My point was that many people lazily think they pick up D1 players for nothing. It was always much more complicated and they changed their policy last season.

As you point out their model was great scouting and they bought at 1 to 3m and as soon as the player turned a value they cashed in. They never looked like getting promoted though.

Lsst season they really upped the wage bill and are now aggressively going for it. Old Brentford would never have bought Pontus Jansson for 5m on 25k per week. The fact that spending big has finally catapulted them to promotion contenders only confirms that you have to pay to get up there. Just as Utd did in their promotion season too btw.

With an amazing new ground and potentially bigger revenue than us they arent little Brentford any more.

I've been skimming the lower league teams in Hungary, but I don't see anyone I'd care to sign...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_football_league_system

No?

lol

After several seasons of failure, I'd like us to renew our strategy to build an exciting team of fewer veterans and rather have more youth players who can grow into their roles, long-term planning the likes of Brentford, Leeds, heck even the pigs. We've gone through signing enough players who are around 30 and it just seems many of them come here to enjoy huge wages and resting on their laurels, with a modest appetite for footballing success. Not saying entirely made up of young players, but we should use the likes of Urhoghide, Penny, Shaw, Hunt and partner these with some of the veterans who are still up for it. Must be some of those youths turning up in the lower leagues - guaranteed to attract everyone's attention, but worth going for. Fisayo was a nice surprise coming in from top level, but is the kind of player I hope we can get to work in a younger team than we've had over the past few seasons.

Offload those who can't be arsed to give 100% every match. Get Murphy back, Harris was promising but lost some of his edge or got "found out" but can still develop. With a stem like Iorfa, Börner, Bannan, Luongo, that's a solid quartet to have in defence and midfield.

Edited by N0rtherner

2 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

I've been skimming the lower league teams in Hungary, but I don't see anyone I'd care to sign...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_football_league_system

No?

lol

After several seasons of failure, I'd like us to renew our strategy to build an exciting team of fewer veterans and rather have more youth players who can grow into their roles, long-term planning the likes of Brentford, Leeds, heck even the pigs. We've gone through signing enough players who are around 30 and it just seems many of them come here to enjoy huge wages and resting on their laurels, with a modest appetite for footballing success. Not saying entirely made up of young players, but we should use the likes of Urhoghide, Penny, Shaw, Hunt and partner these with some of the veterans who are still up for it.

Offload those who can't be arsed to give 100% every match. Get Murphy back, Harris was promising but lost some of his edge or got "found out" but can still develop. With a stem like Iorfa, Börner, Bannan, Luongo, that's a solid quartet to have in defence and midfield.

But we’re still at it Dunkley 28,  Venancio 28, Windass 26