Hungry lower league players

A topic which you often hear, especially given our previous transfer activity - we don’t need a journey man who is old and want £25k per week, we need hungry younger players from L1 and L2.

Keen to understand who you think are realistic targets and if there’s anyone in particular you’d want to see?

• Like 1

Given the frequency with which it's quoted, being 'hungry' must be the single most important metric when judging a potential new player. So how is this quantified exactly?

One of the biggest problem in football these days it seems to me is that many of them are well stuffed before they even sit down at your table.

• Like 4

It worries me when people suggest we serach the lower leagues. We don't need hungry league one and league two players.

We need players who have the quality to play in the championship. Some of those will come from the lower leagues, some might come from the premiership on loan and some should come from other championship clubs!

I want to see good players being signed!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, jonnyowl said:

It worries me when people suggest we serach the lower leagues. We don't need hungry league one and league two players.

We need players who have the quality to play in the championship. Some of those will come from the lower leagues, some might come from the premiership on loan and some should come from other championship clubs!

Yes, and most players who might have the skill sets at that level, to make the step up, would cost a lot of money. Better looking at fringe players at the top flight clubs, youngsters I mean, and possibly on loan Generally they will have a greater range of skills, if not experience, and they should still be “hungry” We don’t actually require experience in leagues one and two

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Got to agree with that when we are starting the season on -12. 

We need to spot them before they prove they can do well at Championship level, just like we did with Lee, Blackburn with Dack, Bristol City with Brownhill, Pigs with Lundstram, Fleck...

Plenty of interesting lower league players who show potential to do well at Championship level.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

We haven't got the cash for ready mades. We need to scout and take a risk or two. We never seem to look at the african markets were fast strong mobile players are the norm or in North Africa more technically gifted players can be found.

It’s such a cliche.

I just want us to sign players who are good enough to help us stay up to be honest. 

Players who fall into the ‘young and hungry’ category from lower leagues or Scotland we’ve signed in the past:

Stevie May

Rhys McCabe

Danny Mayor

Jacques Maghoma

Paul Corry

They proved to not be good enough for this level. This is why I genuinely think getting relegated, signing the cream of the crop from League One and building momentum, a good team spirit without a points deduction with players who are good enough for that level would have been better than taking -12 now. Just like Megson and Sturrock did, build a side that gets you out of the League but this time we have DC’s investment to take us to the next level once we’ve done that.

But now I fear what type of players we’re going to attract. They might be young and hungry but are they good enough for the Championship? Or will we sign free agents looking for a big club to finish their career with - we’ve been down that route too many times and it rarely ends well.