It’s a huge issue we have with the fanbase and many many people just ignore it 

Fully support the points Moses Odubajo has made 

Certain fans need to get a grip 

Just now, Royal_D said:

It’s a huge issue we have with the fanbase and many many people just ignore it 

Fully support the points Moses Odubajo has made 

Certain fans need to get a grip 

They really do

And all these instances need calling out every single time because that would help solve the problem quite quickly

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Elderly Owl said:

Anyone think that the disconnect between players and fans might have something to do with the frustration of playing behind closed doors? As far as I can see, it’s been much worse since lockdown.

Personally I think it really started around the Stoke defeat away. 

However it was bad around last season Carlos and Jos. 

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 1

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

It’s hardly hate is it.. it’s mostly true even though it’s offensive language. Football fans aren’t known for their vocabulary.

As I said, successful players focus on what needs to be done. Look at Fletcher.. don’t see him on social media, he’s too busy in the gym and honing his skills as a footballer to waste time interacting with losers online. There’s nothing good that can come of it, he should just block abuse and/or turn off notifications on replies 

I miss the days of Semedo and Rob Jones, I couldn't imagine them crying over a few social media comments

• Like 2

I’m not reading the full thread but the original tweet against Moses is disgusting and not worthy of a so-called fan.

I am not exactly his biggest fan, but he has lots of quality if only he could stop giving me a heart-attack every time he tackles in our box. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

His defending for a start.. would help if he could learn to not commit a foul every time he goes in our own penalty box

Anyway that’s beside the point. If you’re a figure in the public eye providing a service that people pay good money to watch while earning a huge sum yourself, and then you don’t deliver when it comes to that service, people will be angry with you and inevitably there will be the odd one that’s abusive.

Thats how social media is.. there’s no point in pretending there’s some alternative universe where everyone is happy to pay to watch garbage and not say anything about it. It’s just how things are so if he doesn’t like it or can’t handle it he should just avoid using it. Or if it gets to him that much use the block function. Anything but whinge because someone said a few words to you.. it’s weak

It used to be “how it is” that slavery was legal; women were not allowed to vote; homosexuality was illegal; blacks and whites went to segregated schools & rape in marriage was legal. If we simply accept the status quo then you, your children and your children’s children will be subject to abuse and cyber bullying. The technology exists to block and filter foul language and abuse. Don’t excuse it, don’t be an apologist. Take a stand.

And by the way, I don’t rate Moses as a player, neither have I enjoyed watching Sheffield Wednesday this season but I will vote with my feet, my wallet and hopefully civil and informed criticism. I won’t resort to personal insults and cheap shots hiding behind the anonymity of social media. 

• Like 4

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

It used to be “how it is” that slavery was legal; women were not allowed to vote; homosexuality was illegal; blacks and whites went to segregated schools & rape in marriage was legal. If we simply accept the status quo then you, your children and your children’s children will be subject to abuse and cyber bullying. The technology exists to block and filter foul language and abuse. Don’t excuse it, don’t be an apologist. Take a stand.

And by the way, I don’t rate Moses as a player, neither have I enjoyed watching Sheffield Wednesday this season but I will vote with my feet, my wallet and hopefully civil and informed criticism. I won’t resort to personal insults and cheap shots hiding behind the anonymity of social media. 

Personally I wouldn’t do it but I can see why people are frustrated. And I just don’t see how it can be changed.. all of the things you’ve mentioned are actions that can be altered by legislation. This is different in that it’s just words which makes it difficult to stop.

They could make it so that on online platforms you have to be verified. That would probably put a stop to some of the worst kinds of abuse like racism. But expressing an opinion on a footballers ability, there will be plenty happy to do that in their own name. You could also ban swearing but it’s all a bit much for me that. Can’t see them being able to

stop someone posting ‘Moses, you’re a rubbish footballer’.. so it’s always going to be part of it when it comes to social media 

34 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Fans are quick to praise players when they play well so they have to accept critisism after poor performances. It's part and parcel of football

Criticism is a very very different thing to the pure abuse people turn to , and just because it’s on social media why do people pretend it’s not real abuse ? And they should just block them ??  It’s ridiculous and it needs to stop 

Why people make excuses is beyond me, it’s just social media ? Cancel your account if you don’t want to see it ?    Get a grip 

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

In no way by starting this thread was i condoning the comments from the lad. His point was ridiculous, of course Odubajo can support his old club and wish them well. And anyone who sends verbal abuse to someone else online needs to have a look at themselves. It’s out of order.

BUT what I was trying to point out is that I think Odubajo commenting on the negativity of the fanbase and how it has affected their performance indicates a very weak mentality within the squad. Don’t point the finger at the fans. 

There’s only one part of the club who can change fortunes on the pitch and it sure as hell isn’t the fanbase.

It’s interesting to see the number of comments on here mentioning the weak mentality within the club. Whenever GM mentions this he seems to get dogs abuse himself.  
The one point Odubajo has definitely got right is that they will perform better with fans supporting them rather than waiting for a mistake to criticise.  And no! I am not saying it is all the fans fault 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

There is no justification for abusing anyone online!

I get what Odubajo is saying, but he should look after his own performances first and formost,

Maybe fans wouldn't get on his back if he wasn't such a disaster for most of the season!

And so the endless cycle continues... 

Whinge and moan on here by all means, but to respond directly to a player with such a low IQ message as Jord is classless.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tommycraign10others said:

It’s interesting to see the number of comments on here mentioning the weak mentality within the club. Whenever GM mentions this he seems to get dogs abuse himself.  
The one point Odubajo has definitely got right is that they will perform better with fans supporting them rather than waiting for a mistake to criticise.  And no! I am not saying it is all the fans fault 

They will, but why do people think this is unique to Wednesday? We’re a big club with a larger fanbase than other clubs so the moans and groans are likely to be more amplified. Just like they were at Sunderland, Leeds, Forest when they were/are struggling. 

At the end of the day, we’ve seen some god awful football this season and have a chairman who still holds Premier League ambitions and makes us pay very high prices to watch football which is closer to League One standard. I think it’s perfectly understandable a lot of us aren’t very positive, because what is there to be positive about? And of course as a result of this you will get a few idiots with few brain cells sending abuse on social media. 

But for me coming out and saying fans negativity doesn’t help us on the pitch weak and shows the huge problems we’ve got. Imagine if he tweeted that when Megson was manager? What a soft touch as a club we’ve become. 

Do you know what will get the fans back on side and create a positive atmosphere around the club? Winning games, being ran properly and playing with pride and passion for the shirt - all things which are missing at SWFC at the moment.

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

No one can argue with what Odubajo has tweeted and he will be the first to be disappointed how he has performed last season.

Twitter has now become a platform to judge and criticise, a real shame.

I don't have an issue with anyone expressing an opinion, criticising a player or judging if they're good enough

There's nothing wrong with that really

But where it crosses the line is being downright abusive - that's another level

BUT

Where it REALLY goes beyond any level of acceptability is when they tag the player/coach in the tweet to guarantee they'll be unable to avoid seeing it. That's the really lowest of the low and the equivalent of writing it down on a piece of paper, getting in your car, knocking on the players door, waiting for them to answer then reading it out loud to them, and then leaving them the paper with the abuse on it..

Owlstalk Shop