Twitter - Odubajo

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

It's a load of rubbish - 1st soundbite

Showing pride in the badge - 2nd soundbite

I'll keep checking - paranoia will now set in lol 

First one isn’t a soundbite

At this club if you give 100% and win games, like every club up and down the country, fans will usually get behind you. The reason there’s so much negativity right now is because that’s been lacking for a few seasons. It’s simple. For a few months under Bruce positivity was in the air because we looked like a team for the first time in a couple of years. It’s not rocket science.

The whole ‘fans are part of the team’ thing is a myth. We don’t influence the result, case in point - we were still crap when nobody was allowed in the ground.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

First one isn’t a soundbite

At this club if you give 100% and win games, like every club up and down the country, fans will usually get behind you. The reason there’s so much negativity right now is because that’s been lacking for a few seasons. It’s simple. For a few months under Bruce positivity was in the air because we looked like a team for the first time in a couple of years. It’s not rocket science.

The whole ‘fans are part of the team’ thing is a myth. We don’t influence the result, case in point - we were still crap when nobody was allowed in the ground.

It’s not rocket science. - 3rd Soundbite

Think Odubajo has a point. I remember turning up for the Bristol City game before Christmas expecting the place to be bouncing given we were heading for third and our best tilt at the Prem in 20 years but it was flat as hell for 80-odd minutes, as though everyone was waiting for the team to get us worked up.

That's emblematic of our season. The vibe just wasn't there regardless of the results. Maybe that's because of what is/isn't going on in the boardroom, or because Monk football has been generally formulaic and short on inspiration for the most part, but I feel like the fans have been too quick to complain/point fingers. And this mentality that players are there to be abused once they turn in a poor performance is only going to lead to a disconnect between players and fans, continuing the cycle. Even since Covid when players might have expected a release of some of that burden they've seemingly just had the crap kicked out of them online instead.

Too many seem to forget that it is in our best interests to get behind the players because a happier and more motivated team is more likely to deliver the results that make our lives more fulfilling.

Edited by milanowl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

and I’ve rarely (if ever) seen a player not trying 

It gets written on here ALL the time...players are lazy, don't care, not interested, don't get involved.

I've very rarely seen a player coast through games.  With maybe the exception of perhaps Gilles Coke who clearly wasn't good enough.

I get the feeling everyone on here compares modern players to Mick Lyons going into every challenge with his head and every player 80s leaving their foot in just cos they were 'proper men'.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

It gets written on here ALL the time...players are lazy, don't care, not interested, don't get involved.

I've very rarely seen a player coast through games.  With maybe the exception of perhaps Gilles Coke who clearly wasn't good enough.

I get the feeling everyone on here compares modern players to Mick Lyons going into every challenge with his head and every player 80s leaving their foot in just cos they were 'proper men'.

It’s because people’s brains aren’t engaged properly and they’re not smart enough to see the difference 

1 hour ago, milanowl said:

Think Odubajo has a point. I remember turning up for the Bristol City game before Christmas expecting the place to be bouncing given we were heading for third and our best tilt at the Prem in 20 years but it was flat as hell for 80-odd minutes, as though everyone was waiting for the team to get us worked up.

That's emblematic of our season. The vibe just wasn't there regardless of the results. Maybe that's because of what is/isn't going on in the boardroom, or because Monk football has been generally formulaic and short on inspiration for the most part, but I feel like the fans have been too quick to complain/point fingers. And this mentality that players are there to be abused once they turn in a poor performance is only going to lead to a disconnect between players and fans, continuing the cycle. Even since Covid when players might have expected a release of some of that burden they've seemingly just had the crap kicked out of them online instead.

Too many seem to forget that it is in our best interests to get behind the players because a happier and more motivated team is more likely to deliver the results that make our lives more fulfilling.

Three reasons why last season was a downer from start to finish:

1) Bruce leaves just before it starts - pulls the rug from underneath our feet 

2) We knew that a points deduction was on the cards, we were just waiting for it to happen.

3) Nobody likes to admit it but our rivals were tearing it up in the Premier League.

I think fans can be forgiven for not being the most happy bunch last season. We put up with some right rubbish.

I remember away at Derby in December we were riding high, playing some good stuff in the first half and the away end was bouncing chanting Steven Fletcher’s name non stop for 45 minutes. 

Second half the players don’t show up, go in on themselves and we give away a stupid penalty and draw the game. 

BUT THE FANS NEED TO DO MORE

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ameylamps said:

I guess this is something that Carlos was hot on, seemed to work when we all pushed the team on rather then booing. 

Maybe that was because the players were performing on the pitch?

Players influence atmosphere. Not the other way round. 

You don’t go to a comedy show and laugh before the stand-up tells the joke. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I find it absolutely hilarious some people think we as fans could do more. 

Brilliant. Absolutely hilarious. 

Its probably more accepting that generally players will perform better in positive atmospheres than negative ones, it doesnt help knowing theres going to be abuse at the first sign of a mistake. 

That's not why we've been terrible, boardroom, manager situation, points deductions, near misses etc are as you've mentioned why we've ended up in this situation.

I think its more a case of, the players have to accept as a result of all the above fans are going to be disenfranchised and the fans have to accept that the resulting reactions to that at games and on social media will probably only compound it and certainly wont improve it. 

Thats the same at any club in our situation and it'll take a lot from the club (i believe this is where it has to start) to turn it round. Ultimately DC and co need to instigate that positive vibe back, which is a big job. 

People who call players every name under the sun etc though need to have a long hard look at themselves.

If you wouldn't say it to someone face to face on your own with them, don't think you can hide behind a screen or shout it from your seat in a stadium. 

On 06/08/2020 at 16:09, Markowski77 said:

If I was performing poorly in my job - I’d rightly deserve criticism - our players have a weak mentality ingrained in them 

When you do something wrong in your job does someone tell you to 'f**k off you w**k c**t? Not while you are at work mind, while you are at home on social media commenting on something completely unrelated.

If that's the case then either congratulations on becoming a professional sportsman or if not I'd consider finding yourself another job! :ghoulguy:

Moses has done himself no favours by chirping back but seriously, what positive impact was the initial tweet likely to have?

On 06/08/2020 at 15:45, stocksyuto said:

I'm not having it . You dont go 3rd up until Christmas then absolutely free fall there after the players and manager are at fault for this. They deserve some stick for that. 

Harris looked a reyt player first few games and just disappeared 

If they are not happy get another club we need players that have bags of confidence.

players and systems get worked out and nullified. It’s the players and mangers responsibility to counter and adapt not the fans.

We have one trick players led by a no mark one trick manager. Whilst he’s still at the club all assumptions regarding next season are moot. Under another manager like big Mick we might have a chance next season. If Monk stays we will be down by March at the latest. 

23 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

He's a pro footballer earning more a month than what most of us earn a year

He should get over himself and if he isn't prepared to take some flack then he should close his account

At the end of the day he is in the public eye and while I don't condone it he is leaving himself open to abuse

Can you not see the hypocrisy in that? Moaning on a football forum that a football should 'get over himself' for having the temerity to respond constructively to someone giving him direct personal abuse.

If you don't condone it then you should have finished your sentence at that point. Why should he be open to abuse for using social media. There was no critical analysis or comment on performances in the tweet he responded to, it was just abuse, why should people be open to abuse? 

23 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

His defending for a start.. would help if he could learn to not commit a foul every time he goes in our own penalty box

Anyway that’s beside the point. If you’re a figure in the public eye providing a service that people pay good money to watch while earning a huge sum yourself, and then you don’t deliver when it comes to that service, people will be angry with you and inevitably there will be the odd one that’s abusive.

Thats how social media is.. there’s no point in pretending there’s some alternative universe where everyone is happy to pay to watch garbage and not say anything about it. It’s just how things are so if he doesn’t like it or can’t handle it he should just avoid using it. Or if it gets to him that much use the block function. Anything but whinge because someone said a few words to you.. it’s weak

The part in Moses tweet implying blaming the fans for poor performances was wrong but the reply he made was a constructive response, you and I don't have to agree with it but it wasn't a whinge. Also, how is it weak for calling out someone just firing expletives at you?

More whinging going off in this thread from people who think footballers should not have an opinion.

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The part in Moses tweet implying blaming the fans for poor performances was wrong but the reply he made was a constructive response, you and I don't have to agree with it but it wasn't a whinge. Also, how is it weak for calling out someone just firing expletives at you?

More whinging going off in this thread from people who think footballers should not have an opinion.

It’s just bizarre

theres no way this thread should have been on this many pages 

Owlstalk Shop