Gary Monk

Guest The Claw

4 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

You're just putting the cart in front of @The Horse (forgive me for that :biggrin:) to 'justify' the complaints. And this is what fans will always do. Whether they admit it or not, generally they are not remotely patient and if things aren't going well (and often even if they are) will invariably be calling for changes at every possible level constantly.

It seems to me we have to draw a distinction between not trying and not good enough. After a positive start to the post-lockdown period, three consecutive defeats in quick succession knocked our confidence and belief. But in each case, the result was not a true reflection of the balance of play. But even after that, we could easily have folded at Fulham, yet kept fighting to the end. 

That's an incredibly positive way of looking at the last 9 games. 

'Kept fighting' against Fulham = conceded 3 before half-time against a side that hadn't scored more than 2 in 90 minutes many times this season and we ended up conceding 5 - we were never in the game really.

Folded against Preston & WBA, lost to a Middlesbrough side who were wasting time playing for a draw, again never did enough to win at home -1 home win this year. Played well 1st half against Swansea but were second best in the second half, only ourselves to blame.

To say the results were not a fair reflection is pushing it, perhaps a point at Swansea would have been fair but even then it would only have been 9 points from 9 games.

10 hours ago, The Horse said:

I'm starting to think the majority of our fans are coming across as very entitled, hypocritical and even just plain blind.

The common mantra is that if a team shows effort and a determination to win, then the fans will back them and even clap the players off after defeat.

Well, that's what we've had since the restart.

In every game, we were positive, fought, competed and deserved more from the matches.

We created chance after chance in most of them but couldn't put them away.

The players just aren't good enough and/or are mentally weak.

Which Monk has alluded to a fair few times and said that he wants fresher, younger players in the squad.

Monk knows what's needed.

He's had the current team playing their hearts out.

All whilst standing up to what is obviously a toxic clique and residual dressing room culture.

That takes some real steel, balls and determination to make the deep rooted changes needed in order to build the solid foundation for future growth that everyone wants while at the same time getting dogs abuse from fans with the patience of toddlers.

Or we can just get a 'personality' in who will smile and wink at the camera, give the fans a wave and award fat contracts to disruptive players to massage their egos instead of actually managing them because that's the line of least resistance.

Despite a general concession that we need to be run sustainability and all we ask is a team to be proud of, it seems most fans actually want a cheque book manager and only sign ready made players that are at the top of their game in the Championship.

We won't be signing ready made players.

But already there's rumblings of Fisayo not being good enough or what we need.

Unbelievable Jeff.

They're here and with us now because they're not the finished article. But stick with him and others when they make mistakes. 

Look at Onomah.

Just a kid. Still developing but deemed rubbish by our fans.

Now realising his potential.

If we are playing rubbish with no signs of improvement half way into next season then fair enough, Monk will only have himself to blame.

But I really do think he'll give us a team that will give their all within the limits we now find ourselves in.

If that's good enough for some fans though, I'm not so sure sadly.

Starting to.......!!

10 hours ago, The Horse said:

I'm starting to think the majority of our fans are coming across as very entitled, hypocritical and even just plain blind.

The common mantra is that if a team shows effort and a determination to win, then the fans will back them and even clap the players off after defeat.

Well, that's what we've had since the restart.

In every game, we were positive, fought, competed and deserved more from the matches.

We created chance after chance in most of them but couldn't put them away.

The players just aren't good enough and/or are mentally weak.

Which Monk has alluded to a fair few times and said that he wants fresher, younger players in the squad.

Monk knows what's needed.

He's had the current team playing their hearts out.

All whilst standing up to what is obviously a toxic clique and residual dressing room culture.

That takes some real steel, balls and determination to make the deep rooted changes needed in order to build the solid foundation for future growth that everyone wants while at the same time getting dogs abuse from fans with the patience of toddlers.

Or we can just get a 'personality' in who will smile and wink at the camera, give the fans a wave and award fat contracts to disruptive players to massage their egos instead of actually managing them because that's the line of least resistance.

Despite a general concession that we need to be run sustainability and all we ask is a team to be proud of, it seems most fans actually want a cheque book manager and only sign ready made players that are at the top of their game in the Championship.

We won't be signing ready made players.

But already there's rumblings of Fisayo not being good enough or what we need.

Unbelievable Jeff.

They're here and with us now because they're not the finished article. But stick with him and others when they make mistakes. 

Look at Onomah.

Just a kid. Still developing but deemed rubbish by our fans.

Now realising his potential.

If we are playing rubbish with no signs of improvement half way into next season then fair enough, Monk will only have himself to blame.

But I really do think he'll give us a team that will give their all within the limits we now find ourselves in.

If that's good enough for some fans though, I'm not so sure sadly.

Onomah got abuse from Fulham fans this season according to their own manager - don't know why people are so quick to think our fans are any worse than most others on this basis. 

As for the stuff about having the current team playing their hearts out since restart - they may have looked like they were putting more effort in and the tactics worked better in the first couple of games but ultimately it led to 8 points from 9 games - only 2 teams picked up less points than us post lockdown and only 2 teams had a worse goal difference. 

The manager may not have had a lot to work with but if he was any good he would have had us being more productive than that - other managers did more with less.

15 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Last time we did it was ironcily a 2-1 against Brentford a couple of months before Carlos went.

Jos and Monk are as bad as each other.

To be fair to Monk though it is more difficult to turn results around when you find yourself 3-0 down at half-time because the approach you set out with failed so miserably! 

Monkmanface

Last season we only won 8 points from losing positions (which was 21st in the league).

However, we did beat Brentford 2-1 after going behind. We lost 28 points from winning positions!

All in all it does point to a lack of mental strength within the squad.

Can't blame Monk entirely, as before the Brentford match we'd only won once from a losing position in about fifty matches.

On 05/08/2020 at 21:03, Inspector Lestrade said:

You have hit the nail on the head there.  Every season twenty odd managers fail to get up in the Prem does that make them all failures? 

No, but having the 3rd worst points per game record of all but 2 of the managers employed in the division doesn't fill me with great hope that Monk will have any success, even in relative terms.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/trainervergleich/wettbewerb/GB2

9 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Last season we only won 8 points from losing positions (which was 21st in the league).

However, we did beat Brentford 2-1 after going behind. We lost 28 points from winning positions!

All in all it does point to a lack of mental strength within the squad.

Can't blame Monk entirely, as before the Brentford match we'd only won once from a losing position in about fifty matches.

Under Jos and Monk. Bruce also but given we weren't behind that often under his relatively small number of games in charge that is hardly reflective if the performance of the other 2.

Players like Bannan, Fetcher, Nuhiiu, Lees, Palmer, Reach etc were not mentally weak under Carlos when we had the 6th best record for turning results around.

Monk had a fairly new bunch of players to pick from too, Harris, Borner, Iorfa, Murphy, Odubajo, Wickham, Windass, Luongo completely unconnected to our inability to turn results around under Jos.

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

Thought it would be interesting to look at just what contributes to our awful performance in the 2nd half of the season.

Particularly, what happens when we go behind.

Everyone knows that in order to succeed we need to be able to take the mental hit of conceeding first and be able to overturn the deficit.

So how well did we do under Monk since xmas?

Of the 15 games we went behind, we won 0. Not a one.

2 draws and 13 losses. So just 2 points from 45, from a losing position.

This, to me, speaks of a manager with no clue how to change a game.

Some will cite the players and blame them as if Monk has nothing to do with it.
And yes the players take some responsibility, but Monk's got some responsibility for their failures too.
Half his job is to manage the players so they're in a frame of mind to play their best.
So he plays:
Playing Palmer lb and Pessy rb, when Fox is fit, only to bring Fox on at h/t because we'd shipped 2 goals.
Nando finding form with a goal and an assist and being immedaitely yanked.
Taking every opportunity to say responsibilty lies with him and then in the next sentance blame the players.

Not even going to mention him naming a 7 man bench with 5 forwards on it. Well, I guess i am..

To me Monk has an idea of how to set up a team, but can't handle players and can't change a match.
It's simply not good enough.

Yeah yeah yeah......another thinly veiled dig at MONK.....change the record,and move on FFS.....been done on here,multiple times,over & over...you dont like Monk,fine...Why start another thread,when theres a perfectly good one,you could have made your comments in?  Plenty agree with you,Fine too..

Its boring reading the same old posts over & over....What about the first 23 games? under Monk? show me your critique of Monk from that time,where you thought he had no tactical nouse..

Edited by parajack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think too many people look at match day and try and figure out what went wrong.

Monk is with the lads all week, that's when you motivate the squad.

And this is where the problem lays.

Some of the football we played before christmas was up there with CCs first season. 

How do you lose that?

You lose the players, most of them were going through the motions and just doing enough, it was obvious.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

There's a Monk out, or Monk bashing thread two down from this one FFS. 

Some want their own daily Monk bashing thread, just to remind us incase we all forgot.

I always look in them to see if any new info has come to light, but they're all the same. Anywho I'm off to watch my lawn grow now 😆

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Yorkowl.74 said:

Tbh monk talk drains me. Stats are stacked up against him. I just hope somehow hope he will shove two fingers up at the stats and booing next season and prove 90% of us wrong by bringing us back to the fight....🙏🏼

Hear ****ing hear....Its 4 weeks(ish) to the start of the season,a season we will start -12.we have,what we have.Thats it, so please everyone,its time now to get behind Monk,his Players,any new signings,and support the Club we all love,Its our team,when they wear those blue & white stripes,lets hope they live up to our expectations. WAWAW

• Like 2