Gary Monk

Guest The Claw

14 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

BetVictor the only bookies with odds on Oddschecker right now, he’s 4/1 along with Mark Robins. Howe’s assistant Tindall still the favourite at 2/7 although his odds have been dropping

Surely there must be something in Monk being consistently high in favourites list or are all SWFC fans playing the game? lol

36 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I saw it that he was being asked to swim from one side of the river to the other, in a river full of alligators, whilst being to then wear concrete wellies, and then when he's halfway across having one arm cut off, and then as he's approaching the other side gets his legs cut off, and gets hit in the head by a passing speedboat, and just as he's about to come onto the shore someone flies down in a helicopter and swings a gigantic metal ball into him 

But he made it

Just

And now he has the opportunity to run through the meadows of this new and exciting land he's discovered

He didn't make it.  

If he'd have made it , we would have been over 12 points clear and no doubt would have not had this poo to deal with. 

With regards the adversity he was up against, id say he had more at his disposal than Bruce had last season. 

2 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

I know who he is....

He was in the parish on the last day of the season. The Imps returned from Lincoln Cathedral and straigteneed the Crooked Spire in Chesterfield for the occasion.

Why does Colin continually get mentioned in relation to the SWFC Managers job, when we have the Anti Colin waiting for DC to call?

garymegson

The reason I quoted Colin was that people on here were banging on about cv’s etc etc, at the same time knocking Monk. The point I was making was that, whatever you think of him, he is probably, in my opinion, the best manager in the division, for a club in our position, and has been for years, but, despite this many Owls fans wouldn’t have him anywhere near. So, even if you got the best man for the job, half the fans wouldn’t be happy. It just wouldn’t work. I’m not suggesting Colin, just saying you can’t use cv’s as an argument when you don’t accept the obvious purely through tribal loyalties.

6 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I think more see the importance of having some semblance of stability at the club instead of chopping and changing managers every time we come to a difficult patch.  That doesn't make them a Monk fan as such.

No but it does mean wasting time to find out it wasn't the correct  decision. Keeping a failure because you think change is the reason, is short sighted. We haven't had good manager's who haven't been given long enough. We have had poor manager's and some poor players. Someone like Bruce I would have been happy to give time to because you could see the way forward  and his track record. Monk just like Carlos and Jos have caused their own downfall. Negative play. You have to score goals, lots of them and you need good would defenders we baught strikers and failed to service them and failed to spend on quality defenders. 

To give someone time they need to prove they are worth it! Monk has in no way shown any of that. Stability won't be found by keeping him. 

2 hours ago, swissmess said:

I would love to know in what walks of life is a manager judged only if he is able to bring in a new set of workers under him. As I understand it a manager works with what he has, and is judged on that. Yes workers might change over time, but this constant excuse for failure makes no sense. Any real world examples out there? If you take a job you have to know what that entails. Once its taken you are judged by results. On that measure, or indeed any measure chosen by any reasonable person, his time is up. Yes it would be interesting to see what Monk might make of a completely new squad, same as it would be interesting to see Mourinho at Barnsley, but its not going to happen. Failure, for Monk, has become an ingrained habit. He isn't a winner and doesn't have a 'big' larger than life personality. No one in their right mind would follow him over the top, he isn't a leader, he is a poor communicator and can't lead by example since as a manager he has been a flop. So whats left? Put the future in the hands of a man who has no vision and couldn't explain if he did?

Putting all sentiment aside, Monk has much to offer at another club, at a different level, but surely we know enough about him here to say he is the wrong man at SWFC

You might be right but in my opinion he hasn’t had time. You talk about a manager getting the best results with what he’s got. Well he inherited a bag of s**t. The club was full of injury prone high earners, with a lack of discipline. He came in without a pre season and without any assistants. Plus the off field circus. In short, he hasn’t had time or the tools to turn this around, and as there’s no one better knocking on DC’s door, I’ll keep with him.

5 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

No but it does mean wasting time to find out it wasn't the correct  decision. Keeping a failure because you think change is the reason, is short sighted. We haven't had good manager's who haven't been given long enough. We have had poor manager's and some poor players. Someone like Bruce I would have been happy to give time to because you could see the way forward  and his track record. Monk just like Carlos and Jos have caused their own downfall. Negative play. You have to score goals, lots of them and you need good would defenders we baught strikers and failed to service them and failed to spend on quality defenders. 

To give someone time they need to prove they are worth it! Monk has in no way shown any of that. Stability won't be found by keeping him. 

How do you judge who is a good manager or not if you are going to sack them at the first hurdle?

Bruce's style of play wasn't any more attractive than any other manager we have had recently.   He made us more difficult to play against, but we weren't scoring freely from what I remember.

I'm quite sure that if Bruce had hit a bad patch then there would have been strong calls for his head.

My point is whoever is the manager there are too many who want to sack them straight away.  If we aren't in the top six by Christmas

8 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How do you judge who is a good manager or not if you are going to sack them at the first hurdle?

Times have clearly changed in that regard. In 1989/90 we started the season scoring just 2 goals in 12 games and took a couple of hammerings in the process; eventually being relegated. But there was no shrieking to remove Ron Atkinson, even after the sale of one of our best players; season ticket sales increased and we had arguably our best season since the 1930s.

It would be interesting to see how modern supporters would react to these circumstances.

Edited by DJMortimer
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I saw it that he was being asked to swim from one side of the river to the other, in a river full of alligators, whilst being to then wear concrete wellies, and then when he's halfway across having one arm cut off, and then as he's approaching the other side gets his legs cut off, and gets hit in the head by a passing speedboat, and just as he's about to come onto the shore someone flies down in a helicopter and swings a gigantic metal ball into him 

But he made it

Just

And now he has the opportunity to run through the meadows of this new and exciting land he's discovered

He's a clever (short name for someone called Richard) to have made it to the other side of the river with no legs and just one arm 😂

Edited by GLOwl
Spelling errors

Guest Bulgaria
40 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

But there was no shrieking to remove Ron Atkinson, even after the sale of one of our best players; season ticket sales increased and we had arguably our best season since the 1930s.

If social media was around back then, I believe there would have been.