Gary Monk

Guest The Claw

37 minutes ago, Captain Scarlett said:

Good managers, cope and adapt to the dressing room. After all they're the one who's supposed to MANAGE . Monk clearly doesn't manage very well. It may come in time but it could be years away for all we know.

A good manager makes a difference from early on, a truly great manager makes a difference from day one. 

He did. A good half season. Then he probably started to tell some of the big hitters a few home truths. We had/have some players who have taken this club for a ride. Jos tried, failed. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

What point were you making.?

I just saw you say he done temporarily well at Swansea with a good squad and then just poor with us with a bad one. Bit he did temporarily well with that bad squad till xmas.

Well it was being argued that Monk can only be judged when he has his own squad in place. And that because he has been working with someone else's squad he is not responsible for our poor form. That's a reasonable position to take (though not one I personally ascribe too).

However if you take this view then of course it stands to reason that any success gained with someone else's squad at other clubs also doesn't count.

If a manager cant be judged until hes put his own squad together that means ignoring any successes he has had with other peoples squads as well as any failures.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

So, same situation Jos walked into, strange how he wasn't given the same.

Yep, same situation, same players. Same outcome for the manager ? Common denominator-players. As I’ve said elsewhere, Jos tackled them head on and lost. Are we, as fans, going to do the same again ? And what about the next manager? Are we going to get him sacked as well ? Most on here would love Pearson back, despite him repeatedly saying he wouldn’t come. Some of our snowflakes would be  out on strike in a fortnight, and the fans would turn on him. So it goes on. Monk has been here before. He knows the requirements. He knows the squad. We have to hit next season running, we can’t afford the new man to take 10 games to know the players.

what monk did elsewhere isnt really relevant .we all knew what his  record was and he was prone to being sacked ,chansiri and whoever advised him would also have known that and chose to ignore it ......they obviously must have seen something in  him that a lot us didnt.......what that is i dont know but having given him a contract then he at least deserves the time to get a squad together that can  get us thru the next couple of seasons unscathed .....whether he will remains to be seen . 

• Like 1

The overkill here is quite extraordinary.

Looking at our results since the turn of the year, it's easy to put forward a case that we might be better off if Monk was relieved of his duties. Cast an eye over his previous career and that's pretty unremarkable too. There are question marks about his temperament when it comes to how he deals with those in his charge. All of this is well known, and doesn't need 'proving' over and over and over and over again. 

But this is not enough it seems. If anyone comes up with anything that might be perceived as slightly positive, or even just not entirely wrong, inept, stupid or wicked, then there are those who absolutely will not stop until any such perception is stamped into complete submission. This level of obsessive enmity bemuses me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

The overkill here is quite extraordinary.

Looking at our results since the turn of the year, it's easy to put forward a case that we might be better off if Monk was relieved of his duties. Cast an eye over his previous career and that's pretty unremarkable too. There are question marks about his temperament when it comes to how he deals with those in his charge. All of this is well known, and doesn't need 'proving' over and over and over and over again. 

But this is not enough it seems. If anyone comes up with anything that might be perceived as slightly positive, or even just not entirely wrong, inept, stupid or wicked, then there are those who absolutely will not stop until any such perception is stamped into complete submission. This level of obsessive enmity bemuses me.

I've read that four times and can't for the life of me fathom out if you're for or against Garry Monk

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I've read that four times and can't for the life of me fathom out if you're for or against Garry Monk

I'm pretty ambivalent about him. There's little in his past to suggest he's a genius in the making and if he'd been sacked at the end of the season, he wouldn't have much of a case these days for claiming it wasn't merited. But I just find the almost endless clamour for change completely tiresome for the most part and often backed by logic that is spurious, ignorant, short-termist, dishonest or inconsistent. 

Given that it looks like he'll be starting the season with us, then I see little alternative to accepting it and hoping he can do something positive with the pretty crap circumstances. 

• Like 4

Just now, DJMortimer said:

I'm pretty ambivalent about him. There's little in his past to suggest he's a genius in the making and if he'd been sacked at the end of the season, he wouldn't have much of a case these days for claiming it wasn't merited. But I just find the almost endless clamour for change completely tiresome for the most part and often backed by logic that is spurious, ignorant, short-termist, dishonest or inconsistent. 

Given that it looks like he'll be starting the season with us, then I see little alternative to accepting it and hoping he can do something positive with the pretty crap circumstances. 

I'm the exact same opinion  (on all of it)

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Your Thesaurus takes a right old battering, but at least you speak sense!

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

Yes, and I'm off out on a date with Taylor Swift tonight ...

Don't the bookies think that we've been punished enough already?

It's cruel to raise our hopes when they know full well that there's probably more chance of seeing Steve Evans walk on the moon with his trousers down than it happening.

The Pale One will be here next season.

2 hours ago, doubleo said:

Mr Warnock esq of this parish.

I know who he is....

He was in the parish on the last day of the season. The Imps returned from Lincoln Cathedral and straigteneed the Crooked Spire in Chesterfield for the occasion.

Why does Colin continually get mentioned in relation to the SWFC Managers job, when we have the Anti Colin waiting for DC to call?

garymegson

• Like 1

The debate regarding Garry Monk should be pretty much done with for now, as everything points to his job being safe for the immediate future.

While I’ve been eager to get rid of him, I’m going to give him all my support in proving myself and all the other doubters wrong. He’s our manager, so let’s take some of that pressure off him. After all he is working for the Donald Trump of football.

Just drop the 3-5-2, obviously not working, and go back to the formula that actually worked before christmas. 

Edited by Shezza

15 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes, and I'm off out on a date with Taylor Swift tonight ...

Don't the bookies think that we've been punished enough already?

It's cruel to raise our hopes when they know full well that there's probably more chance of seeing Steve Evans walk on the moon with his trousers down than it happening.

The Pale One will be here next season.

Hope your date goes well, remember to post the pictures after.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, doubleo said:

This isn’t Monks team tho.  As far as I’m concerned the jury is out on Monk. He came into a bag of s**t situation, on his own, no preseason. Big earners who weren’t pulling their weight, and poison in the dressing room. We all know it needs sorting. I can’t judge his ability on this season, not with the mess he inherited.

I would love to know in what walks of life is a manager judged only if he is able to bring in a new set of workers under him. As I understand it a manager works with what he has, and is judged on that. Yes workers might change over time, but this constant excuse for failure makes no sense. Any real world examples out there? If you take a job you have to know what that entails. Once its taken you are judged by results. On that measure, or indeed any measure chosen by any reasonable person, his time is up. Yes it would be interesting to see what Monk might make of a completely new squad, same as it would be interesting to see Mourinho at Barnsley, but its not going to happen. Failure, for Monk, has become an ingrained habit. He isn't a winner and doesn't have a 'big' larger than life personality. No one in their right mind would follow him over the top, he isn't a leader, he is a poor communicator and can't lead by example since as a manager he has been a flop. So whats left? Put the future in the hands of a man who has no vision and couldn't explain if he did?

Putting all sentiment aside, Monk has much to offer at another club, at a different level, but surely we know enough about him here to say he is the wrong man at SWFC

Edited by swissmess
  • Like 2

Ideally, monk should be allowed to rebuild the squad in his own style with players he wants. He can then get the mentality , tactics and approach all down to a tee in pre season.

Then, after we lose the first two games of the season , fire him , get bully in to steady the ship and start again .

2 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Ideally, monk should be allowed to rebuild the squad in his own style with players he wants. He can then get the mentality , tactics and approach all down to a tee in pre season.

Then, after we lose the first two games of the season , fire him , get bully in to steady the ship and start again .

Then after bully looses his first two games we get someone else in.................................repeat all season.

lol

16 minutes ago, swissmess said:

I would love to know in what walks of life is a manager judged only if he is able to bring in a new set of workers under him. As I understand it a manager works with what he has, and is judged on that. Yes workers might change over time, but this constant excuse for failure makes no sense. Any real world examples out there? If you take a job you have to know what that entails. Once its taken you are judged by results. On that measure, or indeed any measure chosen by any reasonable person, his time is up. Yes it would be interesting to see what Monk might make of a completely new squad, same as it would be interesting to see Mourinho at Barnsley, but its not going to happen. Failure, for Monk, has become an ingrained habit. He isn't a winner and doesn't have a 'big' larger than life personality. No one in their right mind would follow him over the top, he isn't a leader, he is a poor communicator and can't lead by example since as a manager he has been a flop. So whats left? Put the future in the hands of a man who has no vision and couldn't explain if he did?

Putting all sentiment aside, Monk has much to offer at another club, at a different level, but surely we know enough about him here to say he is the wrong man at SWFC

Best post on the subject for ages^^^