Gary Monk

Guest The Claw

5 hours ago, Markowski77 said:

‘Well, that's what we've had since the restart.

In every game, we were positive, fought, competed and deserved more from the matches’

Totally disagree - the first 2 games were in an improvement the rest again were awful. 

Since the restart again we were near the bottom off the form table, you don’t finish there on bad luck! There were spineless half hearted performances again

Its a new season now - I just hope we are upto the challenge 

You're just putting the cart in front of @The Horse (forgive me for that :biggrin:) to 'justify' the complaints. And this is what fans will always do. Whether they admit it or not, generally they are not remotely patient and if things aren't going well (and often even if they are) will invariably be calling for changes at every possible level constantly.

It seems to me we have to draw a distinction between not trying and not good enough. After a positive start to the post-lockdown period, three consecutive defeats in quick succession knocked our confidence and belief. But in each case, the result was not a true reflection of the balance of play. But even after that, we could easily have folded at Fulham, yet kept fighting to the end. 

• Like 1

Thought it would be interesting to look at just what contributes to our awful performance in the 2nd half of the season.

Particularly, what happens when we go behind.

Everyone knows that in order to succeed we need to be able to take the mental hit of conceeding first and be able to overturn the deficit.

So how well did we do under Monk since xmas?

Of the 15 games we went behind, we won 0. Not a one.

2 draws and 13 losses. So just 2 points from 45, from a losing position.

This, to me, speaks of a manager with no clue how to change a game.

Some will cite the players and blame them as if Monk has nothing to do with it.
And yes the players take some responsibility, but Monk's got some responsibility for their failures too.
Half his job is to manage the players so they're in a frame of mind to play their best.
So he plays:
Playing Palmer lb and Pessy rb, when Fox is fit, only to bring Fox on at h/t because we'd shipped 2 goals.
Nando finding form with a goal and an assist and being immedaitely yanked.
Taking every opportunity to say responsibilty lies with him and then in the next sentance blame the players.

Not even going to mention him naming a 7 man bench with 5 forwards on it. Well, I guess i am..

To me Monk has an idea of how to set up a team, but can't handle players and can't change a match.
It's simply not good enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Bournemouth next manager odds taken off Oddschecker. FWIW I reckon John Terry could be off there now Villa have got Craig Shakespeare in as assistant, but we live in hope...

JT’s coming here? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Jim

33 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

We came back from a goal behind to beat Brentford 2-1. Monk was the manager.

It was the first time we had won after conceding the first goal for about two seasons.

Nowt to do with Monk

That was before xmas.

The entire time Monk's been here, we managed 3 wins from losing positions, one was Brentford.

But all 3 were in those first couple of months after Monk came in, before he really started getting the player to do what he wanted and before we plummetted down the table.

Brentford was the last time we won from a losing position.
That was early December.
Since then we've taken just 2 points from 45 when losing..

Are you suggesting that because we managed it a couple of times we should ignore the 15 times we've failed?

Edited by cookeh

34 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

It was the first time we had won after conceding the first goal for about two seasons.

Nowt to do with Monk

Is that stat right? Shocking if so. 

That was before xmas.

The entire time Monk's been here, we managed 1 win and 5 draws from losing positions, the win was Brentford.

Most were in those first couple of months after Monk came in, before he really started getting the player to do what he wanted and before we plummetted down the table.

Brentford was the last time we won from a losing position.
That was early December.
Since then we've taken just 2 points from 45 when losing..

Are you suggesting that because we managed it a couple of times we should ignore the 15 times we've failed?

Edited by cookeh
corrected

55 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Nowt to do with Monk

20 minutes ago, bobness said:

Is that stat right? Shocking if so. 

It is right, we have been in the bottom 3 for picking up points from losing positions for the last two seasons and were in the bottom 5 the previous season.

In 2016-17 we were in the top 6 for turning results around.

Monk has had more opportunities to address this though as we have fell behind more under him than we had done in previous seasons. 

Monkmanface