Gary Monk

Guest The Claw

I’m amazed anyone can think we played scintillating football in the first half of the season? We had a couple of good performances but a lot of it we were grinding out results. Maybe the dressing room did need “ sorting out”. Though I’m yet to see or hear anyone confirm it. At the risk of being repetitive I will say it again. Good managers manage difficult characters. You don’t sacrifice the season to prove your right. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

I’m amazed anyone can think we played scintillating football in the first half of the season? We had a couple of good performances but a lot of it we were grinding out results. Maybe the dressing room did need “ sorting out”. Though I’m yet to see or hear anyone confirm it. At the risk of being repetitive I will say it again. Good managers manage difficult characters. You don’t sacrifice the season to prove your right. 

We have turned in our worst half a season since God was a lad and there are still people who back him.

I'm sure there are some grunters on this site.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Horse said:

I'm not one of those internet mainstays who live and breathe for arguments on-line and i think I've plussed your posts on many an occasion but I genuinely think Monk understands the problems we have and seems driven to set the ship straight.

When really, despite any amount of money, no one of any reputation would touch us with someone else's barge pole or take to the job to do the dirty work he has.

For that alone, he deserves respect.

I hate to say it but look at the tramps across the city.

Toxic in L1.

Lap of shame.

Wilder comes in to mass condemnation.

Loses his first games.

Bottom of L1.

Huge outcry.

He finally gets the dressing room clicking.

Never looked back.

Give Monk time. He 'gets' the situation here.

I can't think of anyone else who'd take this poo show on.

Best,most realistic post i have seen on here.....

11 hours ago, The Horse said:

I'm not one of those internet mainstays who live and breathe for arguments on-line and i think I've plussed your posts on many an occasion but I genuinely think Monk understands the problems we have and seems driven to set the ship straight.

When really, despite any amount of money, no one of any reputation would touch us with someone else's barge pole or take to the job to do the dirty work he has.

For that alone, he deserves respect.

I hate to say it but look at the tramps across the city.

Toxic in L1.

Lap of shame.

Wilder comes in to mass condemnation.

Loses his first games.

Bottom of L1.

Huge outcry.

He finally gets the dressing room clicking.

Never looked back.

Give Monk time. He 'gets' the situation here.

I can't think of anyone else who'd take this poo show on.

The huge difference being , Wilder can spot a player and knows how to motivate them.

Monk has had a year , have you seen any evidence of either of those two qualities so far?

• Like 3

I always felt this was Monk last real chance to stake a claim that he’s was a top young manager .. his reputation was sullied by his experience at Boro and Birmingham for off the field matters, but on field the stats seemed to show positives.

However I feel somewhat that he probably will be able to carve out a new opportunity by explaining away this first season as being dogged by out of contract and EFL investigation issues plus no preseason. And the second season will he explained away by the 12 point deduction and Covid.

Monk on field reputation will remain in tact.. survival upwards and he looks to do done the job correctly .. relegation and “it was always going to be hard” 

Monk gets to stay as potentially a good manager and this doesn’t represents his last chance anymore.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

The huge difference being , Wilder can spot a player and knows how to motivate them.

Monk has had a year , have you seen any evidence of either of those two qualities so far?

Maybe the first 23 matches?...3rd in The Championship?...pushing for an automatic Promotion spot? beating Leeds a side who were promoted 2-0? easily on their Home ground? Keeping us in the Championship this year?.....Cant keep having the same debate over & over.

So far,not one person i have asked,has been able to do this,maybe you will be the first?Show me any post of yours,from before(or around Xmas) where you thought what you have just posted.when we were third,were you posting Monk doesn't know how to motivate the Players.?

If not,why would you think now doing so,can be done with any credibility?

Mate,what is the point of dragging Monk down? He is our Manager(until we know different) we have to get behind him & his Players now,forget about those who have left, &  just crack on.There are no 'silver bullets' here....As the season unfolds we will see if Monk is the Manager to start the Owls turnaround.(is that even possible? whilst the current structure at the Club remains?)

56 minutes ago, parajack said:

Maybe the first 23 matches?...3rd in The Championship?...pushing for an automatic Promotion spot? beating Leeds a side who were promoted 2-0? easily on their Home ground? Keeping us in the Championship this year?.....Cant keep having the same debate over & over.

So far,not one person i have asked,has been able to do this,maybe you will be the first?Show me any post of yours,from before(or around Xmas) where you thought what you have just posted.when we were third,were you posting Monk doesn't know how to motivate the Players.?

If not,why would you think now doing so,can be done with any credibility?

Mate,what is the point of dragging Monk down? He is our Manager(until we know different) we have to get behind him & his Players now,forget about those who have left, &  just crack on.There are no 'silver bullets' here....As the season unfolds we will see if Monk is the Manager to start the Owls turnaround.(is that even possible? whilst the current structure at the Club remains?)

Posted this when we were third ,

Awful performance...……..couldn't believe it when we were winning.

Iorfa and BOTH fullbacks were shocking, Bannan , Harris, and Reach all well below par, I am still far from convinced with Luongo, and Nuhiu and Rhodes were putrid.

We stank the place out and need to shake it off very quickly.

This in November

Still in a decent position in the table but we seem to be overly defensive at the moment , and I have to admit the alarm bells were ringing for me yesterday when he was gushing about Pelupessy,s performance last week.

It may have been just his way of boosting his confidence but if he REALLY thinks JP played well against Leeds then that IS a worrying sign.

And this ...

This in a fu***in nutshell, all he spoke about all week was how tough it was going to be against a Tony Mowbray side.

Don't get me wrong I am cautiously optimistic about Monk,s tenure but the approach Saturday and his continual picking of Reach and Palmer despite their abject form is a worry.

And this...

Mmmmmmm…..That is a particularly worrying comment.....why in hell are we not attacking a side desperately low in confidence from the word go...……….our porkular neighbours showed last year what can be achieved with an attacking mindset

Not that i HAVE to prove anything to you , it just so happens we have a different opinion.

I was quite ambivalent about Monks appointment , could have done better , could have done worse ,  and even allowing for what a $hitshow the club is at the moment,  i haven`t been overly impressed with our style of play or his "tactics" and team selection at any stage.....even when we third.

I am not "dragging him down" i am stating MY opinion and am happy to be proven wrong..........we shall see.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I hope you are right I really do. As you say Utd were in a state when Wilder took over and hardly hit the ground running, think they got hit for 4 in one of his first games. He put it right within weeks though and they got 100 points in his first season. Monk has gone in the opposite direction after a good start.

exactly, but lets face it, facts have nothing to do with the Monk supporters. They will stick with him come what may. There have been so many lines in the sand the beach looks like a ploughed field. Still they support him. Brexit supporters will support Brexit, despite all those experts....Johnson supports Cummings come what may. When you are wrong and the facts prove you are wrong, what else is there to rely upon but blind faith.

You can't argue with that. At least Monk is English and not a funny talking foreigner. Onwards and downwards.

• Like 1

Guest The Horse
1 hour ago, sheriwozgod said:

Just a quick Google shows that in the past he signed Kemar Roofe from Oxford, Luke Ayling from Bristol City, Pablo Hernandez from Al Arabi
Assombongalonga from Forest (a bit different from the rest as he was a record signing for them).
Along with a few other all-so-rans.
So his signings have been a mixed bag but can't deny he ca't spot a player either.
Full list here: httpfs://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sheffield-wednesday-transfers-braithwaite-monk-18626355

As for motivation, I said before that I think it was obvious he had the players perfroming since the restart. They just weren't good enough.

Guest The Horse
14 minutes ago, swissmess said:

exactly, but lets face it, facts have nothing to do with the Monk supporters. They will stick with him come what may. There have been so many lines in the sand the beach looks like a ploughed field. Still they support him. Brexit supporters will support Brexit, despite all those experts....Johnson supports Cummings come what may. When you are wrong and the facts prove you are wrong, what else is there to rely upon but blind faith.

You can't argue with that. At least Monk is English and not a funny talking foreigner. Onwards and downwards.

The media perpetuates divisive content to drive clicks and reader comments in their articles.
I'm not at all polarised. Nor do I think any reasonable person is when you talk to them in real life. Ignore the sensationalist vox pops cherry picked on the news to get your heckles up.
I and I'm sure others will rightly criticise Monk if things show no signs of improvement next season.
I also believe in allowing someone a chance. Especially to someone who's been thrown into such a situation as ours.
The only thing I'll unconditionally support 'come what may' is this bloody club!!

7 minutes ago, The Horse said:

Just a quick Google shows that in the past he signed Kemar Roofe from Oxford, Luke Ayling from Bristol City, Pablo Hernandez from Al Arabi
Assombongalonga from Forest (a bit different from the rest as he was a record signing for them).
Along with a few other all-so-rans.
So his signings have been a mixed bag but can't deny he ca't spot a player either.
Full list here: httpfs://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sheffield-wednesday-transfers-braithwaite-monk-18626355

As for motivation, I said before that I think it was obvious he had the players perfroming since the restart. They just weren't good enough.

Hernandez played at Swansea alongside Monk and was signed by Laudrup. Monk then managed him when he took over from Laudrup.

So he can hardly be described as being 'spotted' as an unknown when Monk then brought him to Leeds.

As for the 20 + players on that list, I would only consider the 3 you mention as being a success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheriwozgod said:

Posted this when we were third ,

Awful performance...……..couldn't believe it when we were winning.

Iorfa and BOTH fullbacks were shocking, Bannan , Harris, and Reach all well below par, I am still far from convinced with Luongo, and Nuhiu and Rhodes were putrid.

We stank the place out and need to shake it off very quickly.

This in November

Still in a decent position in the table but we seem to be overly defensive at the moment , and I have to admit the alarm bells were ringing for me yesterday when he was gushing about Pelupessy,s performance last week.

It may have been just his way of boosting his confidence but if he REALLY thinks JP played well against Leeds then that IS a worrying sign.

And this ...

This in a fu***in nutshell, all he spoke about all week was how tough it was going to be against a Tony Mowbray side.

Don't get me wrong I am cautiously optimistic about Monk,s tenure but the approach Saturday and his continual picking of Reach and Palmer despite their abject form is a worry.

And this...

Mmmmmmm…..That is a particularly worrying comment.....why in hell are we not attacking a side desperately low in confidence from the word go...……….our porkular neighbours showed last year what can be achieved with an attacking mindset

Not that i HAVE to prove anything to you , it just so happens we have a different opinion.

I was quite ambivalent about Monks appointment , could have done better , could have done worse ,  and even allowing for what a $hitshow the club is at the moment,  i haven`t been overly impressed with our style of play or his "tactics" and team selection at any stage.....even when we third.

I am not "dragging him down" i am stating MY opinion and am happy to be proven wrong..........we shall see.

Not about proving anything to me,its about Wednesdayites having differing views & sharing them on a forum.(i am assuming you have gone back & cut & paste from previous posts? )

TBH  I cant see really any critique of Monk not being able to Motivate in your examples? or spot a player?(Monks pal Beattie for example recommended Windass) Majority of them seem to be focusing on how the Teams playing & individual player performances..Monks team selection?Tactics?...

All fair enough buts thats always going to be objective..Despite in the main(winning) isnt it? Your own reply also has Q:  I am cautiously optimistic about Monk,s tenure...  Cant have it both ways..

Edited by parajack

10 minutes ago, parajack said:

Not about proving anything to me,its about Wednesdayites having differing views & sharing them on a forum.(i am assuming you have gone back & cut & paste from previous posts? )

TBH  I cant see really any critique of Monk not being able to Motivate in your examples? or spot a player?(Monks pal Beattie for example recommended Windass) Majority of them seem to be focusing on how the Teams playing & individual player performances..Monks team selection?Tactics?...

All fair enough buts thats always going to be objective..Despite in the main(winning) isnt it? Your own reply also has Q:  I am cautiously optimistic about Monk,s tenure...  Cant have it both ways..

I couldnt comment on him spotting a player "when we were third" as he didn`t have the chance till January.

As for motivation , do i really have to list the performances where we looked flat as a f@rt ?

And yes..... i was cautiously optimistic.........unfortunately up to now it would seem my optimism was ill founded.

Edited by sheriwozgod
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

I think too many people look at match day and try and figure out what went wrong.

Monk is with the lads all week, that's when you motivate the squad.

And this is where the problem lays.

Some of the football we played before christmas was up there with CCs first season. 

How do you lose that?

You lose the players, most of them were going through the motions and just doing enough, it was obvious.

The football we played before Christmas was nowhere near up there with CCs first season. We were very poor in a hell of alot of games.

Edited by full fathom five