Big Nige

Guest Jack the Hat

He is exactly what we need. I have a feeling this could happen. Lump on everyone lump on. Unfortunate for our current manager Gary rowett though!

"You never say never but I like living in Sheffield.

"I have been quoted as saying I have an emotional attachment (to the club) but what I don't want is emotional baggage to do a job.

"Football management is about making tough decisions. As a football manager, you want to make fans happy by being successful but you can't keep everybody happy all the time because you have to sometimes make decisions that are unpopular or not always understandable.

"Sheffield has been such a big part of my life and family's life that I don't really want to put that at risk for a job.

"Football management in the modern day is not what it used to be. It is more intrusive.

"There is more to my life than work and that is the angle I'm coming from.

"So this is not me saying I don't want to do it and I am never going to do it. I might never have the opportunity.

"I have never turned it down before because I have never been given the opportunity. We are talking hypothetically.

"I like living here and I am not particularly prepared to put important parts of my life at risk for a job."

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

His track record is very good. He’s character is what we need given our set of spineless wasters throughout the place.

Plus, and I concede you’ll have to take my word on this, having spoken to him I am convinced we’re more than just any other club to him. He may not throw daft platitudes around the media, but he knows he is respected and it’s mutual.

Sadly that’s all superfluous as he’s not daft enough to take us on (nor do we have a vacancy).

He did well both times at Leicester, other than that meh.

Is it a daft platitude to just acknowledge that we are more than just another club? No. I think that shows his true character.

15 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

No, I don't want those sort of people at my club. Same as I don't entertain them in my personal life.

9 minutes ago, Ray Von shabba said:

There's some on here 😂

Present company excluded of course 😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BIG D said:

"You never say never but I like living in Sheffield.

"I have been quoted as saying I have an emotional attachment (to the club) but what I don't want is emotional baggage to do a job.

"Football management is about making tough decisions. As a football manager, you want to make fans happy by being successful but you can't keep everybody happy all the time because you have to sometimes make decisions that are unpopular or not always understandable.

"Sheffield has been such a big part of my life and family's life that I don't really want to put that at risk for a job.

"Football management in the modern day is not what it used to be. It is more intrusive.

"There is more to my life than work and that is the angle I'm coming from.

"So this is not me saying I don't want to do it and I am never going to do it. I might never have the opportunity.

"I have never turned it down before because I have never been given the opportunity. We are talking hypothetically.

"I like living here and I am not particularly prepared to put important parts of my life at risk for a job."

so-youre-saying-theres-a-chance.jpg

• Haha 4

Said many times he wouldnt manage this club, cant see that changing.

You never know in football from a personal point of view I'd love to see him here, met him a few times and he loves Wednesday he's told me some great stories from back in the day.

Never say Never though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

He did well both times at Leicester, other than that meh.

Is it a daft platitude to just acknowledge that we are more than just another club? No. I think that shows his true character.

The latter, we’ll never know. I personally think he could have been convinced to come when we looked more appealing.

I would argue he did well at Newcastle and Hull. Wasn’t too bad at Watford either. 
As I say - it’s kind of irrelevant now...

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

We just need threads on Big Sam, Mick McCarthy, Gary Megson, "Get Carlos Back' and Neil Warnock then we've got the full list of Wednesday manager cliche's 

Great idea for a thread poll

garymegson

I'd have him here in a heartbeat. His Leicester side played with a real flair - positive, attacking football and unearthed some cracking players like Vardy, Mahrez and Knockaert (don't know how involved he was in signing them?). And he was showing signs of achieving the same at Watford (that 3-0 win over Liverpool most notably).

Also worth noting that his managerial record has been much better when Shakespeare has been his assistant (the spell at Derby and in Belgium when Shakespeare was off pursuing a solo career was much less successful). They both know the club and I feel will have a point to prove having been sacked by Watford.

I'm prepared to stick with Monk if there's no-one else available... but we would be daft not to sound them out and see if they are interested.

• Like 2

Guest gizowl
21 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

The latter, we’ll never know. I personally think he could have been convinced to come when we looked more appealing.

I would argue he did well at Newcastle and Hull. Wasn’t too bad at Watford either. 
As I say - it’s kind of irrelevant now...

The predicament we are in could be the perfect time to come, a bit like when Wilder went to the stain. Things can't get much worse but maybe just maybe things could get a lot better. 

1 minute ago, 4evaowl said:

My best mate is a Leicester fan. He likes Brendan Rogers but says many fans would have Pearson back tomorrow  if Rogers were to go. Hugely respected down there.

Because they all know that the side NP saved from the drop the year before won the league under Raniari....not taking anything thing away from Raniari but Pearson built that side and it had guts in it.

• Like 3