Which Sheffield Wednesday players play better for new contracts?

Over the years it seems to have become more common for fans to say that some of our players only play well to win new contracts, and step it up just before contract renewal time

Is this a new accusation or can you remember any players since you started watching the Owls that did this? Surely in the old days players stayed at clubs longer so renewed their contracts with us more often (unless of course they had a five year deal etc).

I can't recall any players in our past who upped their game just before signing a new deal with us?

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

JJ.

He was the first one I remember being accused of this. 

Contracts were a bit different before Bosman and the transfer windows gave players more freedom so can't really remember it being something that was ever thought about prior to that.

On a similar note I recall Danny Maddix looking impressive at first, sure we initially got him on a short term contract or a sort of trial but when he signed a long-term deal he soon turned into rubbish! 

Guest Bulgaria

Playing devil's advocate, is it not human nature to try harder when there maybe be a reward at the end of it?

Not saying it's right but I can understand it....in any profession.

4 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Playing devil's advocate, is it not human nature to try harder when there maybe be a reward at the end of it?

You raise an interesting question about motivation. Bonuses tend to lead to higher short term outputs but also a lack of quality or cultural buy in.

Money is only one of three or five motivational factors, depending on who you listen to on this subject.

Maybe they love being here or it fulfils their goals and that's why performance goes up.:ph34r:

As mentioned JJ and Nuhiu are the obvious ones. Deon Burton always seemed to play better near the end of the season too. Maybe they all prefer the warmer weather 

Edited by Stoop
  • Like 1

Guest Bulgaria
12 minutes ago, Nero said:

Bonuses tend to lead to higher short term outputs but also a lack of quality 

That would certainly explain Atty playing like Messi for a few months before his last contract expired.

Cynical players or Paranoid fans take your Pick.

When I started watching Wednesday Freedom of contract didn't exist; In fact there was no contract other than a wages agreement and the player accepted that the club would hold their FA registration for as long as it desired. The registration would be held until a prospective buyer came along and bought the right to reregister the player. So players of the day had less rights, in terms of protection of employment, than any worker in the Country. This was compounded by the Maximum wage that was in play at the time which England player Johnny Haynes and Jimmy Hill campaigned to lift from £60 pw ( I Think) to £100 pw.. This succeeded but FA registration remained with the clubs.

Underhanded dealings (illegal) still took place, the most common of which were the back handers paid to the parents of promising school kids.

The Bosman ruling (Dec 1995) meant that players could move to a new club at the end of their contract without their old club receiving a fee. Players can now agree a pre-contract with another club for a free transfer if the players' contract with their existing club has six months or less remaining. The ruling allowed a player to leave a club on a free transfer as soon as his contract expired, meaning they had leverage to demand huge signing-on fees and salaries from new clubs to make up for the absent transfer fee.

This freedom of contract means that a player may well have a market value of £2m one day is worthless the next. Consequently the player figures. That if I was valued at £2m yesterday but today I'm worthless  ? Then if club X comes along with an interest then I want a huge slice of their £2m savings.

In short yes players may well play for contracts and conversely they may look to a big pay day.    

Whilst there's no doubt it happens, and for perfectly natural reasons, it's more often a manifestation of the increasing allergy to prolonged thinking these days. Throw an easy label at something and sit back and sip cocktails instead. Nuhiu a couple of years ago is perhaps the best example. The logical inference from the suggestion that he was suddenly pulling out all the stops is that he's actually capable of scoring 30 goals a season, if only he could be bothered to try. That is clearly ridiculous. Unexpected bursts of the unlikely happen all the time, without the need for some kind of cynical conspiracy.

I've always thought Leon Clarke was that kind of player, seems to have done it at every club he's been at. I tried warning my piggy mate of this when they were creaming themselves over him, I said once he gets a new deal his performances and goals will plummet.

Edited by Johnny Concrete
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

. This was compounded by the Maximum wage that was in play at the time which England player Johnny Haynes and Jimmy Hill campaigned to lift from £60 pw ( I Think) to £100 pw.. This succeeded but FA registration remained with the clubs.

The maximum wage in 1961 when it was outlawed was £20 pw which is about £500 pw in today's money.

It is a total myth.

Nuhiu has been called out. He was our only fit forward in that second half of the season under Jos. He played himself into fitness and form and the team played to his strengths. Nothing to do with extra effort re contract.

now when he plays we are playing to the strengths of the other striker that has started, eg Fletcher , who is a back post man in many respects as he is a strong old ox. Big Adthe is a near post man  on the deck and in the air. But he comes on and we fling it back post like fletch is still on . 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bulgaria said:

Playing Devils Advocate the other way but if you maintain a high level of performance consistently you wouldn’t have to worry about upping your performance come contract renewal time. Also you are more likely to be rewarded mid contract with improved terms to fend off potential suitors  

4 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

It is a total myth.

Nuhiu has been called out. He was our only fit forward in that second half of the season under Jos. He played himself into fitness and form and the team played to his strengths. Nothing to do with extra effort re contract.

now when he plays we are playing to the strengths of the other striker that has started, eg Fletcher , who is a back post man in many respects as he is a strong old ox. Big Adthe is a near post man  on the deck and in the air. But he comes on and we fling it back post like fletch is still on . 

Big Atdhe can’t jump and head the ball and for someone who is 6’5 that is a joke