Chris Brunt Leaves WBA - Should We?

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I give up

I'm going back to the Dressing Room section

lol

Someone shout me when the next ex-player thread turns up, or when the next cry to bring back Carlos/Megson is posted

Please don't leave me here, the lunatics are taking over the asylum again! :tango:

46 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I always get confused by this statement.

Knows the club?

In what way?

The Chairman? The Manager? Where the changing rooms are?

lol

He'll get all warm and nostalgic when he sees the Presto Stand. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I give up

I'm going back to the Dressing Room section

lol

Someone shout me when the next ex-player thread turns up, or when the next cry to bring back Carlos/Megson is posted

Pelupessy and Brunt centre mid. Nuhiu leading the line. Your gonna love it next season.

lol

• Haha 1

Tell you what, Chris Brunt just sums up Wednesday's luck.

One of the few good young players we've had that we sold for a decent amount money (by 2007 standards), with the potential to play at the top level for many years, which he did. Bung a decent sell-on clause on as well, and... he stays there for 13 years until he's released at the age of 35...

• Like 2

If the price was right and if he wants to play for Wednesday and for playing footballs sake then I think it’s worth asking the question.

He has made his money now and if we could get him cheap then I think it would be worth considering. He wouldn’t play every week, or probably last the full 90 when he plays, but a man with his experience could be beneficial and let’s be honest we’re going to struggle to attract quality of a good age.

Brunt’s set pieces could also be a real weapon. But if he wants another payday then we shouldn’t be it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

*bangs head repeatedly on desk*

Yeah but.....

3 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Surely he's prepared to take a huge cut in wages and sign just because he loves the club??????

Seriously though, West Brom are having a really good season but for anyone thinking this is a good idea, tell me how many minutes Brunt has played in total this season.

In the league it amounts to less than 3 matches combined and yet even with our record of signing aging players who can't perform some think this would be a wise move!

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

The answer to this is simply no.....

But yesterday we signed Pelupessy and I’d rather have signed 35 year old

Brunt.

Makes you think 

Says it all really

• Like 1

As has been said, he was far from roundly loved during his time here and as I said, David Jones was a model pro who was as well respected by fellow players and coaches in the game as Brunt is. 

What part of him 'knowing the club' will aid him in terms of where we are in our current guise? 

Notice you haven't mentioned anything about the wages he would command either.

You don’t know what wages he would command. At this stage of his career wages may not be a concern. He has made plenty of money.

If Brunt is value for money on wages there is no harm in at least having a looking at him no matter his age. We are not exactly tripping over talent are we?

Completely agree about characters like Semedo and Loovens, they are vital. I don't see Brunt as a leader in that same kind of character and they certainly weren't on around £45K a week which it is rumoured that Brunt has been on at WBA - it may not be completely accurate but is likely to be a decent ballpark estimate.

We are a club in financial trouble and understandably sections of the fan base are questioning why we have a tendency to buy players who are past their best with no future sell on value and give them big wages.

Unless he is prepared to drop his wages by around 65% or more then this would be another bad move.  

🤣 You don’t see Brunt as a leader? Do you know how many years and seasons he captained at West Brom? It’s nearly ten.

Then there’s his multiple Premier League and Championship fixtures and all the internationals that he has played in. 

You agree that we need character in the dressing room and Brunt would provide that. Leadership, experience, professionalism

and quality. He won’t play regularly but every team needs leadership and we certainly do right now.

Yes he is long past his best but there is literally no harm in asking, and you never know Brunt may hold some affinity towards a club that he played well over 100 games for. If Brunt wants big money (FFS even average money) then we shouldn’t look at him but he is available on a free and nobody knows what wages he might ask for. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

You don’t know what wages he would command. At this stage of his career wages may not be a concern. He has made plenty of money.

If Brunt is value for money on wages there is no harm in at least having a looking at him no matter his age. We are not exactly tripping over talent are we?

🤣 You don’t see Brunt as a leader? Do you know how many years and seasons he captained at West Brom? It’s nearly ten.

Then there’s his multiple Premier League and Championship fixtures and all the internationals that he has played in. 

You agree that we need character in the dressing room and Brunt would provide that. Leadership, experience, professionalism

and quality. He won’t play regularly but every team needs leadership and we certainly do right now.

Yes he is long past his best but there is literally no harm in asking, and you never know Brunt may hold some affinity towards a club that he played well over 100 games for. If Brunt wants big money (FFS even average money) then we shouldn’t look at him but he is available on a free and nobody knows what wages he might ask for. 

He is currently on circa £45K a week. We are already paying out far more than we can afford. It is quite possible he wont want that kind of money now, but we shouldn't be looking to pay more than £15K a week for someone who has no sell on value and his match fitness can't be assessed as he has played less than 3 league matches combined this season.

I would have hoped this crisis would make clubs and fans look at the state of football finances at our level and consider that it needs to be addressed big time, a major part of our financial issues have involved buying players with no future value.

Also, I didn't say he wasn't a leader, I said I didn't see him as a leader in the same kind of character as Semedo or Loovens. Leadership can take different forms and I don't see Brunt as the type to go in and turn around a disjointed dressing room. 

Thanks for the emoji ridiculing the point I was trying to make though, is your club still holding the rest of Scottish football to ransom regarding covid testing?

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He is currently on circa £45K a week. We are already paying out far more than we can afford. It is quite possible he wont want that kind of money now, but we shouldn't be looking to pay more than £15K a week for someone who has no sell on value and his match fitness can't be assessed as he has played less than 3 league matches combined this season.

I would have hoped this crisis would make clubs and fans look at the state of football finances at our level and consider that it needs to be addressed big time, a major part of our financial issues have involved buying players with no future value.

Also, I didn't say he wasn't a leader, I said I didn't see him as a leader in the same kind of character as Semedo or Loovens. Leadership can take different forms and I don't see Brunt as the type to go in and turn around a disjointed dressing room. 

I wouldn’t want us to pay anywhere near even the £15k a week that you mention for him. I’m talking considerably less than that and I’m very aware of the financial constraints of the club. We are going to be shopping in the bargain basement. 

A player that costs nothing other than wages it doesn’t matter if he has no future sell-on value, and I agree that has been a big mistake in many of our previous transfer dealings.

As for leadership and character, we will agree to disagree. Brunt IMO would offer more to a dressing room than someone like Loovens. 

5 hours ago, EcclesallOwl said:

Would be valuable experience and a great sort of player to have in the dressing room IF he hadn’t been on a Premier League wage for the past 10 years and if we hadn’t just resigned Pelupessy

How do you know how good an player he is in the dressing room?