Chris Brunt Leaves WBA - Should We?

He was a great player for us picked up for nothing when left Boro academy and after he had got used to first team football was a big player for us but we the had to sell as we often did and we made some good money on him, had we been able to keep him, Whelan and grant we could have had the making of a decent team.

But at 35 his legs have gone, he barely played for West Brom and has not started a game all season.

Good ex player but would prefer to remember him from then instead of him coming back and being remember as another that never plays.

I can definitely see him going into coaching though and good luck to him.

52 minutes ago, heppers said:

I admire people’s ambition. Wanting younger better players. Yeah, I’d love that but we are skint. Again.

On the right contract and used in the right way Brunt would be a great signing.

He's on 45K a week at West Brom. Even if he accepted a 50% pay cut, that would still be way too much for us to pay a player who'd never play.

1 hour ago, heppers said:

I admire people’s ambition. Wanting younger better players. Yeah, I’d love that but we are skint. Again.

On the right contract and used in the right way Brunt would be a great signing.

Think you've contradicted yourself a bit there with the wages he's on.

1 hour ago, edinburghowl said:

Past mistakes and history of contracts are irrelevant and do not matter. The club will need to be more frugal with its money moving forwards and if our budgeted wages aren’t enough then players will not join or leave. It’s simple. We make offers they will accept or turn them down.

His lack of games is potentially an issue but once the club look at his fitness, conditioning, do a professional overview on his current situation and ability then they can make that call. He might be passed being able to play for us but if you don’t look you will never know.

What you are suggesting is that any player

because they are 35 or in the twilight of their career should not be signed. Which is frankly ridiculous. And I never suggested signing a team full of 35 year olds. Obviously that wouldn’t work but given our lack of options and lack of money we are not going to have huge amounts of choice. We need a balance but if a player is available that would improve the squad then we should consider them. I want Sheffield Wednesday to win football matches and I won’t hold anyone’s age against them.

Do I think the likes of Brunt will help us get promoted? No. And if you think our club are going to be anywhere near promotion in the next few seasons you need a reality check.

How are past mistakes irrelevant - sign of madness is keep doing the same thing and hope for different results. I'm sure the club did a professional overview of fitness, conditioning and current ability on the likes of Abdi, Jones and Boyd, we certainly didn't get value for money out of them and they were playing more matches at the time we moved for them than Brunt has over the past couple of years.

You agree that Brunt is not a player likely to help us get promoted, on that basis what is the point of signing a 35 year old with no future value? If as you say we are not looking for promotion we should be looking at younger players with a view to improving the team and having a future value. We have enough experienced players in the current squad with signing someone on that basis. 

I don't know what his wages were at west Brom or would be but I would 100% take him on as a player-coach role. He wouldn't play much, but useful to bring in to slow tempo and experience head so we don't give away 90 minute goals as we so often to do

He could teach our wingers to wing

He could teach our wing backs to wing back

He could teach our attacking mids to attack

Imagine what he could coach Penney, reach, harris

More importantly for me, the work he has done in the community at west Brom speaks volumes about him as a character.

And it is this final point where I believe he will look for a chance to build a career outside of football rather than be a mercenary to money.

Player coach role on < 10k a week I would bring him back

Not everyone over 34 is past it, rubbish etc. And west brom may have got rid but they are a far superior team than us and were expecting to use him in the run in before covid hit

On 04/06/2020 at 18:33, asteener1867 said:

We are not a bloody "rest home"....he was good for us...he was good for West brom...he's now 35...and West Brom don't want him...

it doesn't follow that we take him back.....Its the sort of mistake we make...bloody memories of what were.....

Hello boss, Hope you're well? Indeed I hope everybody here is well? I'll miss Brunt, he was Awesome, but he's just too old now. A move to  Stoke collapsed at Christmas. He doesn't want move his family it seems. Its either Stoke if he wants play still or if doing badges He may stay at ours. He did want to go to stoke though Stay safe lads.

Just now, Baggiehy said:

Hello boss, Hope you're well? Indeed I hope everybody here is well? I'll miss Brunt, he was Awesome, but he's just too old now. A move to  Stoke collapsed at Christmas. He doesn't want move his family it seems. Its either Stoke if he wants play still or if doing badges He may stay at ours. He did want to go to stoke though Stay safe lads.

You stay safe too mate 👍