Chris Brunt Leaves WBA - Should We?

*Sheffield Wednesday fans start to kick off because our squad is full of ageing past it players on massive contracts*

*Christ Brunt (35) becomes a free agent*

*Sheffield Wednesday fans say to sign him up immediately because he knows where the canteen is at Hillsborough*

• Haha 5

Owlstalk Shop

I can remember when Brunt was here before and he had just as many critics as fans amongst our supporters.

A player at 35 who is used to the Premier league you have to question does he have the appetite and fitness to justify the big wages we need to splash out for him. I would suggest the money is better spent elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Brunt is not in the same mould either, how would being here in 2007 give him any real advantage in terms of where we are now? Different owner, different structure different players.

What do you think would be a reasonable wage to pay him? We are spending more than 100% of our income on wages and in the past 5 years have been among the worst in the division for recouping money from player sales. On this basis how can it be a good move to sign a 35-year-old with no sell on value who has been earning Premier League wages for a decade?

Like I just said above most difficult thing here is if you ain't as good as Ronaldo is we ain't got much time for you. And being a bit of an old fans favourite would help us lay off him for a bit. Also he is an experienced footballer and a leader and we need them at our club right now.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I can remember when Brunt was here before and he had just as many critics as fans amongst our supporters.

That'll get conveniently denied though

Like those fans who say John Sheridan wasn't booed, or that Gary Megson's teams played horrific football towards the end of his reign

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

being a bit of an old fans favourite would help us lay off him for a bit.

WTF

AS.

IF.

He was yelled at, booed, given dogs abuse, called all the names under the sun, blamed for defeats and loads more.

Fans Favourite?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO chance

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

*Sheffield Wednesday fans start to kick off because our squad is full of ageing past it players on massive contracts*

*Christ Brunt (35) becomes a free agent*

*Sheffield Wednesday fans say to sign him up immediately because he knows where the canteen is at Hillsborough*

I said he knows where the home dressing room is.

lol

Also do you not think that Brunt is a model pro in the way that most of ageing players are not. 

All I am saying if I wouldn't be against the idea of an experienced player coming in and one that knows the club must be better than not as some fans will walm to him from the off.

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

*just sat waiting for someone to say that we should give Chris Brunt a coaching role*

1 hour ago, jezek said:

if he's done his coaching badges i'd bring him in as a coach 

You've not been reading the thread properly Neil :biggrin:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I said he knows where the home dressing room is.

lol

Also do you not think that Brunt is a model pro in the way that most of ageing players are not. 

All I am saying if I wouldn't be against the idea of an experienced player coming in and one that knows the club must be better than not as some fans will walm to him from the off.

As has been said, he was far from roundly loved during his time here and as I said, David Jones was a model pro who was as well respected by fellow players and coaches in the game as Brunt is. 

What part of him 'knowing the club' will aid him in terms of where we are in our current guise? 

Notice you haven't mentioned anything about the wages he would command either.

Just now, Hookowl said:

You've not been reading the thread properly Neil :biggrin:

FFS

I was going to say I'm amazed

But I'm not

It's literally any  (repeat ANY) ex player/manager innit

lol

Incredible

And very very VERY predictable

Might start a thread about Jay Bothroyd being sat bored and you can guarantee someone would be offering him a coaching role in the thread within 10 posts.

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

WTF

AS.

IF.

He was yelled at, booed, given dogs abuse, called all the names under the sun, blamed for defeats and loads more.

Fans Favourite?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO chance

Name a player that wasnt booed at some point here. Bit like Fox after a while we realise they aint that bad after all.

He was one of our better players in the last 20 years maybe would have been fairer.

Just now, bobness said:

Oh, yes we are!

:duntmatter:

No we are not, residents have to pay over the odds for the best rest homes, we on the other hand offer aging players over the odds to come here!

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Name a player that wasnt booed at some point here. Bit like Fox after a while we realise they aint that bad after all.

He was one of our better players in the last 20 years maybe would have been fairer.

That's the thing though..................was.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

No we are not, residents have to pay over the odds for the best rest homes, we on the other hand offer aging players over the odds to come here!

You could argue that our rest home is the very best then!

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

As has been said, he was far from roundly loved during his time here and as I said, David Jones was a model pro who was as well respected by fellow players and coaches in the game as Brunt is. 

What part of him 'knowing the club' will aid him in terms of where we are in our current guise? 

Notice you haven't mentioned anything about the wages he would command either.

I wouldn't be happy giving him a massive salary. unless we planned to play he every week or it's a waste of a wage. But I would like an experienced player to come in as the dressing room hs fallen apart and if we had a team full of Milners, Jones, Brunts and Barry's it wouldnt have done.

We have not been the same since Semedo and Loovens left. Back then we were all on the same page now we are not. We need more team players.

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I wouldn't be happy giving him a massive salary. unless we planned to play he every week or it's a waste of a wage. But I would like an experienced player to come in as the dressing room hs fallen apart and if we had a team full of Milners, Jones, Brunts and Barry's it wouldnt have done.

We have not been the same since Semedo and Loovens left. Back then we were all on the same page now we are not. We need more team players.

Agree with that bit 100%

• Like 1

Just now, pazowl55 said:

Completely agree about characters like Semedo and Loovens, they are vital. I don't see Brunt as a leader in that same kind of character and they certainly weren't on around £45K a week which it is rumoured that Brunt has been on at WBA - it may not be completely accurate but is likely to be a decent ballpark estimate.

We are a club in financial trouble and understandably sections of the fan base are questioning why we have a tendency to buy players who are past their best with no future sell on value and give them big wages.

Unless he is prepared to drop his wages by around 65% or more then this would be another bad move.