Promotion

Let’s just say we were currently in the play offs, or chasing Leeds down. 

Just interested to know how many people would want us to get promoted under these circumstances? 

Not been able to be there on the day your team gets promoted after waiting 20 years for it would be very strange and one I don’t think I’d want to happen.

• Haha 1

I’d bite your hand off. Just because of what it would do for the club. That influx of money at exactly the time we need it. Next season will probably be heavily restricted in terms of attendances anyways. So the season after that would be when football would be back to normal. We’d probably back in the championship then, but with the power of parachute payments and hopefully a few better players in our team and we could celebrate promotion properly then 😉.

It would be weird,stressful and a little bit gutting that you couldn't be with your mates.

Although I was Uni in Nottingham when we made the play offs in 2005 and I was listening to radio Sheffield on headphones in the computer room.  When James Quinn  scored I didn't know what to do with myself.

This team promoted :tango:  but yes it would be gutting if we weren’t there to witness probably a once in a life time experience with family and friends. Be horrible not being able to go see games next season against some of the best players in the world if it is still behind closed doors. 

I mean you'd take it but it wouldn't fulfil my lifelong fantasy of over the top celebrations that go on into the night and across the summer. The feeling of party and elation etc. It'd be a lot more muted and distant. It would feel like you've not enjoyed it properly. 

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

Let’s just say we were currently in the play offs, or chasing Leeds down. 

Just interested to know how many people would want us to get promoted under these circumstances? 

Not been able to be there on the day your team gets promoted after waiting 20 years for it would be very strange and one I don’t think I’d want to happen.

Fortunately it's not something we are going to have to deal with.:ghoulguy:

• Haha 1

The OP has asked a rather academic question, I’m afraid - but how could you not want us to get promoted under those, or any other, circumstances ?

The financial implications of being in the Premiership speak for themselves - basically if you’re not in the Premier League, you’re nobody in reality

• Like 1

Dont get me wrong, I'd take promotion under any circumstances, but....

For the money only, I genuinely wouldn't go to as many games. It's hard enough in the championship making a 6 hour round trip to watch us not have possession of the ball, not score and invariably lose. 

Strange as it may seem, I like the hope at the start of the season aiming for promotion. I'd find it a bit of a let down aiming to be the 4th worst team as the pinnacle of our season. 

1 hour ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

It would be weird,stressful and a little bit gutting that you couldn't be with your mates.

Although I was Uni in Nottingham when we made the play offs in 2005 and I was listening to radio Sheffield on headphones in the computer room.  When James Quinn  scored I didn't know what to do with myself.

In the computer room at Uni on a Saturday afternoon! Dedicated student or the late realisation that spending your student loan on partying may not get you the results you were looking for?

18 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

In the computer room at Uni on a Saturday afternoon! Dedicated student or the late realisation that spending your student loan on partying may not get you the results you were looking for?

I was 30 and I'd given up the pretense of being able to party after spending half the second year in Holland and over doing it 😉

Just finished my last exam the Friday before the final.

I would accept promotion but only under one of the following circumstances:-

Merit

Luck

Points deduction to a dozen teams

Dodgy reffing

Skulduggery

Mass hypnosis
Arcane law

Bribery

Act of God

Hand of God

Broken VAR
Freak winds

Any other cause

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

This team promoted :tango:  but yes it would be gutting if we weren’t there to witness probably a once in a life time experience with family and friends. Be horrible not being able to go see games next season against some of the best players in the world if it is still behind closed doors. 

Once in a lifetime? I'm only in my 40s and have seen Wednesday promoted to the top division twice, and spend 15 years there.

Admittedly I'm not positive that I'll ever see it happen again...