Garry Monk - In or Out?

Garry Monk - In or Out?  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Garry Monk - In or Out?

• In - keep him
    • Out - get someone else in

14 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Many on here may not have known or may have forgotten that DJ Mortimer was wanting us to keep Luhukay until the bitter end.

Did he also prefer keeping Irvine instead of bringing in Gary Megson.

Does he prefer Def Leppard or Bon Jovi?

Digestives or Jammy Dodgers?

Coronation Street or East Enders?

Apart from you, I suspect no one on here cares.

I’d say out based on current results/form but the problem is the current regime running the club, not the manager. 

Bruce showed what it takes to work at this club and the level of gravitas required to get results and cut through all the crap.  

Monk is struggling but apart from McCarthy (similar time Bruce imo) as things stand, I don’t see anyone else making much of a difference

46 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

I’d say out based on current results/form but the problem is the current regime running the club, not the manager. 

Bruce showed what it takes to work at this club and the level of gravitas required to get results and cut through all the crap.  

Monk is struggling but apart from McCarthy (similar time Bruce imo) as things stand, I don’t see anyone else making much of a difference

Either way it’s out. If that’s the way DC wants to run the club, then we need someone who can work with the tools he’s given

Just can't understand what went on in the Christmas period & the truth about two of my favourites who have got to be playing if they're fit. But 3rd to 15th is shocking and it's obviously not a happy ship and although Monk's been given very little time - the 2020 results have been horrendous and I think he must go. The question though, as always, is who could improve us & would they want the poisoned chalice that is the Wednesday job anyway!

On 07/05/2020 at 11:33, BARMYARMY2010 said:

With regards to Mr Chairman making the decisions,was he recommended Bruce or did he go out there and get him,knowing that,that would get fans back on side and would show a modicum of what was needed and intent ?

Bruce shafted swfc,not swfc gettin rid.

Was Monk recommended or did he go out there and get him ? again,at least having a modicum of need,two "British" managers appointed in succession (whether you agreed with the appointment or not).

It would have been so,so easy to scour Europe  on recommendation of whoever to appoint a relatively unknown someone.

Next season was always going to be tough,if what the general feeling is with regards to another overhaul overdue squad change.

He could have had Monk weeks before. 

Personally, think he will stay. I thought he did a great job until 22nd December whilst not playing great football. What happened since, ha been pretty terrible and it’s clear there’s issues at the club and we do need a clear out with stale players and poor psychological mindset on the back of 2 failed playoff campaigns.

He’s made mistakes as Garry Monk, but he’s not the only one to blame here.

51 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Personally, think he will stay. I thought he did a great job until 22nd December whilst not playing great football. What happened since, ha been pretty terrible and it’s clear there’s issues at the club and we do need a clear out with stale players and poor psychological mindset on the back of 2 failed playoff campaigns.

If you ignore the rubbish football, yes he did OK following on from Bruce and Bullen, until Christmas. 
What has happened since should be ringing alarm bells. Results and performances have been truly dreadful with Monk unable to get a handle on things. I find it hard to believe that the drop off is down to 2 players who no longer play, that’s just too ridiculous

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If you ignore the rubbish football, yes he did OK following on from Bruce and Bullen, until Christmas. 
What has happened since should be ringing alarm bells. Results and performances have been truly dreadful with Monk unable to get a handle on things. I find it hard to believe that the drop off is down to 2 players who no longer play, that’s just too ridiculous

Im no fan of Monk either and I think the football on offer since Christmas has been crap. I also think his selections, tactics and subs have been odd as well when he’s been put under pressure. But there are fundamental issues at this club right from the top to the bottom. Much more than Hutchinson and Westwood like you alluded to. It needs an overhaul. I think most managers would struggle with this lot. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl

On 07/05/2020 at 11:33, BARMYARMY2010 said:

With regards to Mr Chairman making the decisions,was he recommended Bruce or did he go out there and get him,knowing that,that would get fans back on side and would show a modicum of what was needed and intent ?

Bruce shafted swfc,not swfc gettin rid.

Was Monk recommended or did he go out there and get him ? again,at least having a modicum of need,two "British" managers appointed in succession (whether you agreed with the appointment or not).

It would have been so,so easy to scour Europe  on recommendation of whoever to appoint a relatively unknown someone.

Next season was always going to be tough,if what the general feeling is with regards to another overhaul overdue squad change.

Does bode well though when the ex ranger manager has said he has been offered the Wednesday job when Monk is sacked. Kind of shows we are looking at random foreign managers again.

I think Monk is an awful manager.  

Seeing what he has done to the squad, makes me shudder in disbelief.  

You have to wonder why none of his backroom staff quit their jobs when Monk was sacked at Birmingham.  It speaks volumes that it was Monk that was outed while the assistant manager and backroom staff stayed together.  It says to me that Monk was the problem there, which is why he got the sack and his backroom staff stayed.  

I hope DC doesn't renew his contract.  

I am sick and tired of seeing us accept abject mediocrity.  We have got used to being tosss, that is essentially the problem.  

Get a proper manager in, who knows what they are doing.  

Watching us play with Monk is killing my love for football.

2 hours ago, Ronio said:

I think Monk is an awful manager.  

Seeing what he has done to the squad, makes me shudder in disbelief.  

You have to wonder why none of his backroom staff quit their jobs when Monk was sacked at Birmingham.  It speaks volumes that it was Monk that was outed while the assistant manager and backroom staff stayed together.  It says to me that Monk was the problem there, which is why he got the sack and his backroom staff stayed.  

I hope DC doesn't renew his contract.  

I am sick and tired of seeing us accept abject mediocrity.  We have got used to being tosss, that is essentially the problem.  

Get a proper manager in, who knows what they are doing.  

Watching us play with Monk is killing my love for football.

This !!! Get him sacked now 

Simple fact with regards to management is simple and recently we’ve seen this displayed by two of our last three managers, the old cut off your nose to spite your face policy.

Yes, Westwood and Hutchinson may be problematic characters in the dressing room? Not my view but a view that is shared by a fair few on here. Now whether their detractors like it or not, they are the best players we have in their respective positions. Without these two playing regularly in the side we’ve gone down the proverbial sh!tt5r in two consecutive seasons.

Now Mr Monk might think in the long term that we might be better off without our current squads best goalkeeper and defensive midfielder but in the short term they are needed and Monk should be utilising them and then when the jobs done, thank them for their service and move them on. That’s good management. Neither Lukuhay or now Monk have shown good management skills in their respective stints here and therefore had/have public opinion against them.

I can’t see Monk recovering from the position he currently finds himself in? If he does I’ll be one of the first to say I was wrong but for me this has the Lukuhay point of no return written all over it.

Guest LondonOwl313
4 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Personally I’m a little shocked that he got us to third before xmas because most of the games were really tight. We played that awful fouling football putting ourselves under too much pressure at the back.. and gave away loads of points from losing positions. I guess the fact that we were what, 6 points off the bottom half or something showed that it was a quirk of the results really rather than us being better than the competition. 6 points isn’t a statistically significant gap for us to be able to say we were deserving of third

since then it’s been awful. We need a clear out of players but Monk has shown nothing at all to suggest he’s the right man to rebuild this. I don’t get the people who say ‘oh well nothing will change if Monk goes because it’s the boardroom and the players that’s the problem too’. While that’s true it’s not a reason not to fire someone if they’re not performing well

37 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Simple fact with regards to management is simple and recently we’ve seen this displayed by two of our last three managers, the old cut off your nose to spite your face policy.

Yes, Westwood and Hutchinson may be problematic characters in the dressing room? Not my view but a view that is shared by a fair few on here. Now whether their detractors like it or not, they are the best players we have in their respective positions. Without these two playing regularly in the side we’ve gone down the proverbial sh!tt5r in two consecutive seasons.

Now Mr Monk might think in the long term that we might be better off without our current squads best goalkeeper and defensive midfielder but in the short term they are needed and Monk should be utilising them and then when the jobs done, thank them for their service and move them on. That’s good management. Neither Lukuhay or now Monk have shown good management skills in their respective stints here and therefore had/have public opinion against them.

I can’t see Monk recovering from the position he currently finds himself in? If he does I’ll be one of the first to say I was wrong but for me this has the Lukuhay point of no return written all over it.

Spot on post.

I agree re Westwood and Hutchinson, there's been so much rubbish on here about those two for a while now. Because Jos refused to play them last season and now Monk has banished them, many on here have concluded they must be troublemakers, bad apples, disruptive influences, or insert any similar description. 

The reason Lukuhay didn't want to play them was he didn't think they were up to the rigours of the championship because of age and fitness. Don't forget Boyd and Jones also suffered the same fate. Jos just wanted to give more youthful players a go. Nothing wrong in that if they're good enough but it didn't work out.

Jos was fired after the defeat at Swansea, which meant a run of 1 win in 10 games and 5 points from 30.

In the first game after Jos left against Preston which we won, Bullen brought Westwood and Hutchinson back into the team. We only lost 4 games during the rest of the season under Bullen/Bruce, 40 points from 24 games. That's play offs form since we were heading for the relegation zone under Jos.

I agree with you, IMO they are our best players in their respective positions. Bruce made Westwood his No.1 keeper and gave him a new contract at the end of the season. I

This bad run we're on now is 2 wins in 14 games, 9 points from 42. At home with Monk in charge we've been dire. 20 points from 15 games, scoring 12 goals of which only 2 were in the first half. we've scored more than 1 goal in a match only twice and haven't scored more than 2 in a match yet.

If the season hadn't have been suspended I think we would have been tonked by Forest and continued the slide towards the bottom, forcing Mr C to act sooner rather than later.

I honestly don’t mind the fact that Monk chooses to leave out Westwood and Hutchinson, that’s his prerogative If he thinks the team functions better without them, then he is the one who lives by that decision. What I would say is, there are enough players still available to him from which to form an effective unit, one which should win more games than they lose.

Having made the decision to leave the pair out, he has failed miserably in his attempts freshen up the side. This has not just been a bad run, it’s been disastrous, and all the managers previous faults have come to the fore It happens time after time with Monk, and was so predictable, that one wonders why he ever gets the job in the first place