Garry Monk - In or Out?

Garry Monk - In or Out?  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Garry Monk - In or Out?

• In - keep him
    • Out - get someone else in

14 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Name any other manager who has seen two 5-0 defeats and other complete surrenders such as Derby and flipping Reading in 2020 alone.

Name another team that give you so little confidence defending a lead in the final minutes.

The buck stops with the manager Im afraid.

He has tried the throw players under bus approach and it failed. His team selections and subs are those of someone who has lost it.

He has to go now.

Just my opinion, I blame the players more than the manager and very few of these players are his.

Garry Monk is an experienced manager at this level and as a club, sooner or later we are going to have to give a manager some time to build his own squad. 

Also if we get rid of him now, who would want this job at the moment? I can’t believe that we’d attract a better manager to come and work for Chansiri with the possibility of a hefty points deduction hanging around the club like a bad smell. 

There’s the very real chance that we could either be playing third division football next season or starting next season in the second tier but with a deduction that condemns us to a year long relegation battle before a ball is kicked.

I can’t believe that any manager worth his salt is going to sign up for that.

Edited by TrickyTrev

2 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Just my opinion, I blame the players more than the manager and very few of these players are his.

Garry Monk is an experienced manager at this level and as a club, sooner or later we are going to have to give a manager some time to build his own squad. 

Also if we get rid of him now, who would want this job at the moment? I can’t believe that we’d attract a better manager to come and work for Chansiri with the possibility of a hefty points deduction hanging around the club like a bad smell. 

There’s the very real chance that we could either be playing third division football next season or starting next season in the second tier but with a deduction that condemns us to a year long relegation battle before a ball is kicked.

Not even Jos managed the run of results and low level  of performance and he was hampered by injuries

Bruce was working with same players as well.

The squad needs an overhaul but so does the dugout.

9 points from the 14 games since Xmas

5-0 defeats to Brentford and Blackburn

1 point from games against Luton, Wigan and Barnsley

Derby, Birmingham and Reading all put 3 past us 

Not to mention the terrible football, team selections, substitutions, excuses... enough’s enough. Get rid ASAP 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

I think Ryan Lowe would?

Far more support for getting rid of Monk on here I am pleased to see.

The other key determinant is that all income from season ticket sales, memberships, and hence hospitality will I suspect fall badly if the prospect is Monk in charge and his brand of football.  Remember he has only ever had short stays as a manager:

Monk was fired by Swansea, Monk was fired by M'boro and Monk was fired by Brum.

1 hour ago, Owls Loyal said:

Monk was fired by Swansea, Monk was fired by M'boro and Monk was fired by Brum.

Brian Clough was sacked by Derby and Leeds.

Steve Bruce was sacked by Huddersfield, Sunderland and Aston Villa.

Jose Mourinho was sacked by Chelsea (twice), Manchester United and persuaded to leave by Real Madrid.

Hardly a commentary on a manager's abilities on it's own.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Jose Mourinho was sacked by Chelsea (twice), Manchester United and persuaded to leave by Real Madrid.

Though I agree the fact a manager has been sacked before can’t be a barometer of success. The names you’ve mentioned had pretty much achieved something in management previously before being sacked so they had a previous reputation to back them up.  I suppose the previous posters comment about Monk is he’s been sacked a few times without really achieving much?

9 hours ago, torryowl said:

Depends who's available to replace him .....If we could  get McCarthy then out if it's someone like grayson,Coleman,mclaren or some obscure foreign coach on paxos radar think I'd be sticking with monk 

Agree with this. I voted out and have given my feelings on this many times in other threads and have suggested McCarthy as a viable option, some agree others don't, its certainly open for debate.

We are going to be in a difficult situation as long as we have the EFL charge hanging over us as more managers would see us as an attractive proposition if they knew we weren't facing a points deduction or transfer embargo. 

47 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

No but our record since Christmas is sackable, is it not? He stays in charge then what it says it doesn’t matter how sh!t you are, your jobs secure at swfc?

1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

No but our record since Christmas is sackable, is it not? He stays in charge then what it says it doesn’t matter how sh!t you are, your jobs secure at swfc?

The problem is, what are the causes and how can we resolve them? I claim no special insight, but the change since Christmas has been so abrupt that I cannot believe it's simply a case of the manager changing the odd selection here or there. Maybe Monk is a big factor and therefore sending him on his way could bring about a significant upturn. But if there are some other issues, then we could be in a similar position again in the not too distant future.

And the other thing we have to consider (and a couple of recent threads seems to suggest that some fans are somewhat oblivious to this) is the parlous financial position that will severely restrict the options for any kind of major facelift. The upcoming EFL hearing could be another kick in the nuts that deepens the problems, especially if it results in penalties that jeopardise our status at this level and/or restricts player movements.

Quite unbelievale the situation we find ourselves in...... again, there was such relief when Jos left and we got Bruce, and then the subsequent upturn in form.

The pigs game last year too, they were probably the better team but there really wasn't much in it and we came closest to winning.

32 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Yes and then you’d have a manager with far less experience inheriting the same mess that Monk did.

Doesn’t have the baggage that Monk has plus he probably will have to go with kids maybe even at a lower level. No guarantees but he would bring a freshness and some enthusiasm which may lift the fan base. The atmosphere and mood with Monk in charge is as flat as a fart in an astronaut suit.

Dont be fooled by the JFK picture as DJ Mortimer said:

Jose Mourinho was sacked by Chelsea (twice), Manchester United and persuaded to leave by Real Madrid

DJ Mortimer has conveniently forgotten to mention that these managers had all won things first.  Monk has won nothing.

I will always remember DJ Mortimer on here for his strong backing of Luhukay right until the very end.

1 hour ago, Owls Loyal said:

Dont be fooled by the JFK picture as DJ Mortimer said:

Jose Mourinho was sacked by Chelsea (twice), Manchester United and persuaded to leave by Real Madrid

DJ Mortimer has conveniently forgotten to mention that these managers had all won things first.  Monk has won nothing.

I will always remember DJ Mortimer on here for his strong backing of Luhukay right until the very end.

DJ Mortimer is a little perturbed that DJ Mortimer's posts are evidently being logged for the 'I'm a better fan than you' leaderboard. But DJ Mortimer does not feel that calling for the manager to be sacked every time we go twenty minutes without a goal is a badge of honour or an erudite way to go about running a football club. However, DJ Mortimer does know how to use the quote function and DJ Mortimer is also concerned that someone might be a little bit obsessed with DJ Mortimer.

DJ Mortimer is also sure no one here remembers that Mourinho might have won a trophy or two and was desperate to disguise that fact. :huh: 

DJ Mortimer also wonders how many of the 92 managers currently employed by professional clubs have won things? If that's the criteria then it's amazing just how much failure there is at the highest level of the game. But if winning things is how you keep your job, DJ Mortimer wonders how you manage to stay around long enough to actually do so.

DJ Mortimer

I'd use this opportunity to get a new manager and players in. 

However thats going to be very tough to do considering the wider situation and the fact I don't trust the chairman to make these decisions. It's going to be tough next season for us, most likely worse than this season. 

13 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

However thats going to be very tough to do considering the wider situation and the fact I don't trust the chairman to make these decisions. It's going to be tough next season for us, most likely worse than this season. 

Which means, find a coach who can work with the players he is given. Of course it will be a difficult window, and we don’t have a great track record when it comes to recruitment, so getting a manager who can work with, and develop the players we have is key. It’s obvious the players don’t like the way Monk wants them to play, who would, and you get so much more out players who enjoy the game

Edited by gurujuan

9 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

With regards to Mr Chairman making the decisions,was he recommended Bruce or did he go out there and get him,knowing that,that would get fans back on side and would show a modicum of what was needed and intent ?

Bruce shafted swfc,not swfc gettin rid.

Was Monk recommended or did he go out there and get him ? again,at least having a modicum of need,two "British" managers appointed in succession (whether you agreed with the appointment or not).

It would have been so,so easy to scour Europe  on recommendation of whoever to appoint a relatively unknown someone.

Next season was always going to be tough,if what the general feeling is with regards to another overhaul overdue squad change.