Simon Jordan "A salary cap for the Championship is needed"

He’s talking about a cap that’s based on a percentage of turnover. So it’d be a benefit to a club like us with a big fan base.

As for relegated clubs, they’d have to plan in advance and put options in player contracts that mean the salaries drop in-line with the gap.

12 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

He’s talking about a cap that’s based on a percentage of turnover. So it’d be a benefit to a club like us with a big fan base.

As for relegated clubs, they’d have to plan in advance and put options in player contracts that mean the salaries drop in-line with the gap.

That's where it falls down for me. It just makes it impossible to compete with relegated clubs. 

The cap should be per league and punishment for those not adhering needs to be severe even if we fell foul. 

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

You've hit on a massive point there mate.

If there's a pay cap in the Championship and Liverpool got relegated what the fooooook would happen then to their players pay/contracts?

How could this pay cap be set up in that case?

Another issue is what the cap would be. I've briefly seen a few managers & owners discussing this today and many are in favour but don't necessarily agree on the format.

Gary Neville I think suggested it should be a flat figure for each division that every club could afford rather than a percentage of earnings. Not sure you would get clubs agreeing to this across the board. For example, say our turnover is above £20M but the cap is set at around £5M per club to ensure the smaller clubs in the division can afford it. Neville suggest it would be unfair to set it as a % of earnings as bigger clubs will have an advantage.

Don't think he saw this as an issue when Man Utd were able to outspend most due to their income, surely clubs would argue they should be able to take advantage of their income?

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Surely clubs would argue they should be able to take advantage of their income?

Yeah I'm pretty sure they would.

Although it would also mean the likelihood of smaller clubs ever competing at the top levels would be nil immediately if that rule came in

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure they would.

Although it would also mean the likelihood of smaller clubs ever competing at the top levels would be nil immediately if that rule came in

Agreed, but isn't that technically how the rules should work now anyway - clubs in each division of the EFL are only permitted to make losses of the same base figure in P&S rules so the more your club brings in, the more you can spend.  

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Agreed, but isn't that technically how the rules should work now anyway - clubs in each division of the EFL are only permitted to make losses of the same base figure in P&S rules so the more your club brings in, the more you can spend.  

Yeah I guess so.

I guess everything always comes back to getting football to a position where clubs are competing to see who makes the biggest profit, and not which club can lose the least millions of pounds

lol

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, Spookone said:

Surely it should be part of standard player, manger contracts that if the team gets relegated they take a big reduction in salary to whatever the agreed salary would be for the division they are moving down to, also the parachute payments should be scrapped completely.

Players, managers and clubs should not be rewarded for failure and have an unfair advantage on the clubs already in that division.

spot on mate.

I would love to see a higher % of turnover used to update stadiums, lower matchday prices, make the whole matchday experience a lot better for the fans, rather than some greedy b'stard sitting on the bench fleecing the club.

Maybe just maybe, we might get some players playing for the shirt rather than the money. 

I once travelled back from Malaga and Simon Jordan was on the same flight travelling on his own. Sat amongst us normal people without a fuss and spoke kindly to anyone who bothered him. I know this isn’t groundbreaking stuff but sometimes people in the press can be d**ks, Jordan came across as a nice guy to Joe Public. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

The clubs have proved they cannot manage themselves responsibly. Ideally, that would be the pretext for taking it out of their hands. But there's too many vested interests, greed and panic from the clubs and not enough competence from the authorities.

Blame the parachute payment system 

TBH we should be blaming the disaster capitalist model that football has become

Trying to get exponential continual growth from a finite resource will always end in collapse at some point.

Undoubtedly football needs a reboot and a rethink of the lunacy of continually paying way more out than the revenue they bring in.

All seems to be moving towards "American" model. Closed super elite league with no relegations or promotions where clubs will be owned by richest people in the world and all the best players will play.

A salary cap has been needed in football full stop, for a long long time. 

It is what has ruined football and allowed 'some' players to think they are bigger than the club, of which we have had more than our fair share.

Unfortunately it is taking a pandemic for people to wake up.

How can it be that some average championship players are paid more than top surgeons or CEOs of medium sized companies employing lots of people. I mean Jordan Rhodes getting £2m a year.

It's time to wake up. These people are born with a better than average talent for kicking a football, something which a lot of us would gladly do for nowt rather than our mundane day to day grind.

And then some of them on big money decide they don't want to play for the club or the manager and they get away with it until they move on to the next big pay day.

52 minutes ago, scram said:

TBH we should be blaming the disaster capitalist model that football has become

Trying to get exponential continual growth from a finite resource will always end in collapse at some point.

Undoubtedly football needs a reboot and a rethink of the lunacy of continually paying way more out than the revenue they bring in.

Absolutely spot on.

5 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Used to dislike him and dismissed him as a flash Harry, but over time he has won me over because he knows what he is talking about and doesn’t court controversy like the rest of talksport (Hawksbee and Jacobs excepted). 

He is honest as well. 

Didn't he bankrupt palace twice and cost thousands of suppliers and local businesses their livelihoods by going into administration twice?

Not exactly certain he's the best person to be talking about restraining spending in the championship.