Mike Ashley

Guest Ash76

1 minute ago, Stoop said:

He’s a bit of a whopper but the Newcastle fans need to give their head a wobble. They seem to think they have a divine right to be challenging for trophies every year when they haven’t won owt since the 60’s 

In around a decade prior to Ashley getting involved at Newcastle they had established themsleves as a top half PL club and finished in the top 6 more often than not.

In the decade and more under his tenure they have rarely finished in the top half and been relegated twice. I guess that's why they don't regard him as being good for their club. 

25 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

In all honesty , if I was Ashley and wanted to do what there suggesting buy a steady EFL club with established fan base I think I’d go for Portsmouth 

I’d go with Sunderland, good fan base, he’s knows the area, Newcastle fans hate both Ashley and Sunderland so he has a common enemy, relatively new stadium and facilities, and in the mire. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Newcastle were consistently a top half PL club before Ashley got involved and as such were never in any danger financially.

Since he got involved PL TV income has gone through the roof, Newcastle have had good income and he has got them relegated twice and regards not getting relegated as a good result.

He has took the club backwards in terms of football performance.

Genuine question do we know how Newcastle’s books are looking under Ashley? I’m assuming he has been tight with outgoings as he’s keeping them financially stable and trying not to rack up too much debt.  
Southampton are run similarly too. Not spectacular but keeping the club safe from future financial meltdowns 

Didn't DC say he has had many offers for the club and turned them down....as  he doesn't want to sell.

Why would he sell now?

Unless Tuna sales are crashing due to coronavirus I don't see why he would want out.

But, let's say he did.

He would demand probably 100 million  plus for the club and the ground...at least.

The club is still facing a points deduction and transfer embargo.

We are screwed for the next 2 season's with regards to FFP anyway, so we can't go spending 50 million on players.

So our chances of promotion in the next few years is minimal.

We have already sold a chunk of season ticket revenue for years ahead...so that money has gone/been spent.

We have an old squad with very little resale value. So couldn't sell to rebuild.

We have an old ground which needs millions spending on it.

Our fan base would be hugely divided over Ashley coming in and it's unlikely we would be seeing 30k crowds anytime soon.

We currently lose what? 30 million a season? Ish? With the highest ticket prices in the league already set.

Yeah...i can definitely see something in this.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Grandad said:

OK. So youre a Chansiri man

Enjoy your football

No, I'm not a Chansiri man but I don't see where Mike Ashleys record in football is good enough to suggest he will be a better option. He bought into a successful Premier League club and as and when he sells he will do so at a profit thanks to the PL riches that come with being in the PL since the TV deals went through the roof and having a club with the backing of 55,000 fans every home game.

Results wise he has made them worse and Newcastle fans rightly feel they could have achieved so much more than 2 top 10 finishes in the last 13 seasons when they had previously spent many seasons in the top 6.

His acquisition of Newcastle and subsequent running of the clubs has no resemblance for how it would be with us. He could buy us and wipe out the debts that Chansiri has accrued but where in his football record does it suggest he will get a club promoted from a position like ours.

The last time Newcastle got promoted they had a wage bill of £112.2M. By comparison that put them just behind AC Milan and Dortmund that season.

https://talksport.com/football/239978/top-25-wage-bills-football-revealed-including-chelsea-and-man-united-170602241640/

Due to not starting from a Premier League base we will never have a financial position to afford such an advantage and given our current position, I doubt you would advocate that kind of over spending.

11 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Genuine question do we know how Newcastle’s books are looking under Ashley? I’m assuming he has been tight with outgoings as he’s keeping them financially stable and trying not to rack up too much debt.  
Southampton are run similarly too. Not spectacular but keeping the club safe from future financial meltdowns 

Newcastle made a £41M loss to fund getting out of the Championship in 2016-17 and a £18.6M profit the following season. 

When you have decades of PL money which has gone sky high in recent seasons and a matchday fan base of over 50,000 it is easier to operate a club from that base than from a base of losses and no PL income. 

Guest Grandad
9 minutes ago, doubleo said:

He'd sort out the business side anyway, because at the moment its a joke.

Go on Casbah. Why was this funny?

11 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Newcastle made a £41M loss to fund getting out of the Championship in 2016-17 and a £18.6M profit the following season. 

When you have decades of PL money which has gone sky high in recent seasons and a matchday fan base of over 50,000 it is easier to operate a club from that base than from a base of losses and no PL income. 

Ok I think it’s expected these days that you have to make a loss to get promoted. 
But it seems to me that Ashley has kept Newcastle in profit most years and their supporters are annoyed that they aren’t overspending like spurs and Liverpool have done to be more successful 

I think from a Wednesday fans point of view, if he was able to sort us out and get us financially stable that would be a positive compared to the current set up. 

Edited by Owls-Fan
  • Like 1

Just now, Owls-Fan said:

Ok I think it’s expected these days that you have to make a loss to get promoted. 
But it seems to me that Ashley has kept Newcastle in profit most years and their supporters are annoyed that they aren’t overspending like spurs and Liverpool have done. 

I think from a Wednesday fans point of view, if he was able to sort us out and get us financially stable that would be a positive compared to the current set up. 

I don’t think it’s necessarily that they don’t spend like the top teams in the league I think it’s more that he sells players and doesn’t invest anywhere near the same amount in the playing squad. 

19 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Really good. Apparently they have given the new potential owners massive room to be able to spend tens of millions and be in a position ok with FFP.  

However  @hirstyboywonder  does have a point in all this. 

Ashley has a massive blindspot when in comes to investing money. Something that Chansiri does not.

Take both Spurs and Newcastle when Ashley took over. Both were virtually identical clubs in terms of statue and money.  Look at them now they are worlds apart. Spurs probably generate two or three times what Newcastle do.

Could we get in the premier league under Ashley.

More than likely.

Will it get any better than that.

Well Newcastle is the answer to that,  a club will a lot more pulling power than ourselves.

3 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

But it seems to me that Ashley has kept Newcastle in profit most years and their supporters are annoyed that they aren’t overspending like spurs and Liverpool have done to be more successful 

Newcastle weren't going to go to the wall when he took over, they were an established PL club. He has turned them from a top 10/top 6 side into a side that are happy not to get relegated and have failed in that respect twice under him.

It is far harder to sort a Championship sides finances and have a degree of success at that level when you have no PL riches to fall back on and there is no evidence to suggest he would do a good job of that. 

It depends if you want a perceived nice guy who doesnt seem to know what hes doing or you want an arsehole who has a track record of generally keeping a team profitable in the prem. Neither would be anyones first choice but we're sheffield weenesday and this is how we do things

6 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

When you look at the criteria of the club he’s possibly looking to buy, I think it’d be either be us, Leeds, Forest, Derby or Sunderland.

He gets a lot of stick and I don’t really like the guy but he knows how to run a football club and he knows how to get sides promoted from this league.

I’d take him ahead of Chansiri.

The number of people agreeing with this post is mental. The man's an out and out pr1ck. He also gave Alan Pardew a 7 year contract so not only is he a pr1ck he's fu.ckin clueless. 

Edited by archieswfc

6 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Really good. Apparently they have given the new potential owners massive room to be able to spend tens of millions and be in a position ok with FFP.  

Ashley has a massive blindspot when in comes to investing money. Something that Chansiri does not.

Take both Spurs and Newcastle when Ashley took over. Both were virtually identical clubs in terms of status and money.  Look at them now they are worlds apart. Spurs probably generate two or three times what Newcastle do.

More than likely.

Well Newcastle is the answer to that,  a club will a lot more pulling power than ourselves.

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Take both Spurs and Newcastle when Ashley took over. Both were virtually identical clubs in terms of statue and money.  Look at them now they are worlds apart. Spurs probably generate two or three times what Newcastle do.

More than likely.

Why is it more than likely? 

Newcastle had to stomach losses of over £40M the last season the were in the Championship and did so with average gates of over 50,000 and parachute payments. They were able to pay Rafa Benitez £6M to stay that season and had a Premier League playing squad.

Given that they lost £40M with all that structure in place, how do you think we would more than likely get promoted from our comparatively modest base?