Mike Ashley

Guest Ash76

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Newcastle weren't going to go to the wall when he took over, they were an established PL club. He has turned them from a top 10/top 6 side into a side that are happy not to get relegated and have failed in that respect twice under him.

It is far harder to sort a Championship sides finances and have a degree of success at that level when you have no PL riches to fall back on and there is no evidence to suggest he would do a good job of that. 

Football itself might have changed since 2007 when he bought the club, I seem to remember the owners (John Hall/Freddy Shepherd) before wasn’t popular either. 

1 minute ago, Rogers said:

Football itself might have changed since 2007 when he bought the club, I seem to remember the owners (John Hall/Freddy Shepherd) before wasn’t popular either. 

They were popular until they were caught out lauding it over selling the bar code shirts to their fans for ££££ when it cost them pennies to make.

They also had a relatively successful football team under their tenure, Newcastle fans thought Ashley might come in and push them on further with his investment, they quickly found out that wasn't likely. 

9 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Really good. Apparently they have given the new potential owners massive room to be able to spend tens of millions and be in a position ok with FFP.  

However  @hirstyboywonder  does have a point in all this. 

Ashley has a massive blindspot when in comes to investing money. Something that Chansiri does not.

Take both Spurs and Newcastle when Ashley took over. Both were virtually identical clubs in terms of statue and money.  Look at them now they are worlds apart. Spurs probably generate two or three times what Newcastle do.

Could we get in the premier league under Ashley.

More than likely.

Will it get any better than that.

Well Newcastle is the answer to that,  a club will a lot more pulling power than ourselves.

Yeah it seems some are worried that when we are in the PL, we won’t be overspending to make ourselves like spurs or whoever it is at the time. Which is  something to worry about in the future.. 

As I said previously there’s no chance Ashley would buy us with our debts if he didn’t have a strategy to improve us. There’s no guarantee that the plans of any owner of a championship club will work out, but I would back Ashley to get it right more than a foreigner who has no experience in owning a football club 

7 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

The number of people agreeing with this post is mental. The man's an out and out pr1ck. He also gave Alan Pardew a 7 year contract so not only is he a pr1ck he's fu.ckin clueless. 

You do him a disservice - it was 8 years!

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Why is it more than likely? 

Newcastle had to stomach losses of over £40M the last season the were in the Championship and did so with average gates of over 50,000 and parachute payments. They were able to pay Rafa Benitez £6M to stay that season and had a Premier League playing squad.

Given that they lost £40M with all that structure in place, how do you think we would more than likely get promoted from our comparatively modest base?

I meant more long term. His aim will be to get us to the premier league as quick as possible and he has more knowledge and contacts than Chansiri in doing so.

So I would say its more than likely we will go up under him. He wont be buying us as he enjoys us or championship football. And he seems to me to be a speculate to accumulate type or bloke.

Buys us for 50m.   Two years in the prem. gets 100-150m for us. 

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I meant more long term. His aim will be to get us to the premier league as quick as possible and he has more knowledge and contacts than Chansiri in doing so.

So I would say its more than likely we will go up under him. He wont be buying us as he enjoys us or championship football. And he seems to me to be a speculate to accumulate type or bloke.

Buys us for 50m.   Two years in the prem. gets 100-150m for us. 

Maybe be so. But say for arguments sake he buys us for £50M as you suggest. Hiw does he fund getting us to the PL? He needed to overspend by £40M at Newcastle to do it and they had a starting base way in excess of where we are. Say it doesn't work in season one, then he is funding losses season after season and the chance of a return becomes lower.

I just don't think it is realistic. He bought a PL club because PL teams have the realistic chance of making money. He has never bought a Championship club and I don't see why he would start with us.

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Maybe be so. But say for arguments sake he buys us for £50M as you suggest. Hiw does he fund getting us to the PL? He needed to overspend by £40M at Newcastle to do it and they had a starting base way in excess of where we are. Say it doesn't work in season one, then he is funding losses season after season and the chance of a return becomes lower.

I just don't think it is realistic. He bought a PL club because PL teams have the realistic chance of making money. He has never bought a Championship club and I don't see why he would start with us.

I ain't convinced he would buy any club again after the hate he got at Newcastle. Premier league or otherwise.  But if he did. We would be high of the list of affordable bigish stature clubs I would think.

Well the first thing to consider is where we might be if we have another say 3 years of DC. We simply can’t continue being run with that level of incompetence and not sink.

Would Ashley be better. Well he is definitely a competent businessman and would run us properly as a business. 
He also understands the structure required at a club which DC patently doesn’t.

I think Ashley would do well for us. 
It is a different league to the Premiership. In the PL apart from the odd fluke like Leicester the same clubs are at the top, basically it’s all about money. He doesn’t throw money around.

The Championship is different. Occasionally a Wolves will come along and buy the league but success is possible for any club which is well structured, well organised, understands what they are trying to do and most importantly have a good manager.

Ashley and his sidekicks are well competent enough to do that here.

Newcastle had a great manager in Benetiz but still no chance of success in the Premier without spending loads.

53 minutes ago, trev said:

Didn't DC say he has had many offers for the club and turned them down....as  he doesn't want to sell.

Why would he sell now?

Unless Tuna sales are crashing due to coronavirus I don't see why he would want out.

But, let's say he did.

He would demand probably 100 million  plus for the club and the ground...at least.

The club is still facing a points deduction and transfer embargo.

We are screwed for the next 2 season's with regards to FFP anyway, so we can't go spending 50 million on players.

So our chances of promotion in the next few years is minimal.

We have already sold a chunk of season ticket revenue for years ahead...so that money has gone/been spent.

We have an old squad with very little resale value. So couldn't sell to rebuild.

We have an old ground which needs millions spending on it.

Our fan base would be hugely divided over Ashley coming in and it's unlikely we would be seeing 30k crowds anytime soon.

We currently lose what? 30 million a season? Ish? With the highest ticket prices in the league already set.

Yeah...i can definitely see something in this.

When you add all that up, who would bother?

The ground and training facilities are a real albatross around our necks. We're just not PL ready in this regard and it will take several years and 10s of millions to change them to something reflective of PL standards. Most teams who've gone up have invested in their infrastructure whilst in the Championship. We've had 2 chairman over the last 10 years who have ignored it.

This will form part of any potential buyers' valuation and they will want to chip DC from his selling price.

3 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

We have a lot of fans thinking we are a big club despite winning one trophy since 1935 and not been in top flight in 20 years with another spell in League One on the cards.

More fool them then 

Still doesn't prove Newcastle are a massive club tho does it 

The post by Trev is spot on.

we are probably the worst value for money purchase any owner could make for all the reasons set out. 

ashley will wait for a club that is really cracking due to current situation , and are close to admin, then swoop and buy cheap as Milan did with us. 

4 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

The guy spent £112m getting Newcastle promoted but according to the delusional people he spent nowt 

I'd have him here no probs

He didn't though did he. He sold a premier league team and built a championship team. Got £160m in and spent £112m.

To cut a long story short, if we carry on with DC at the helm, we won’t have a club to support in a few years time. Either that or we’ll be the next Stockport County. The way he’s running it is unsustainable. Those who think otherwise are utterly deluded.

Cash in the chips DC, cut your losses and forget it ever happened.

• Haha 2