Andy McCulloch

2 hours ago, sexpistol said:

Why would anybody say anything negative about Andy Mac. He was a very good player for Wednesday.

This...not only that he's about one of the nicest blokes ever to play for us as well

57 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

You should read the thread mate, it'll surprise you.

This was 2 or 3 years before Snodin joined us.

That's Bill Werbeniuk the Canadian snooker player.

Him, Cliff Thorburn and Kirk Stephens were decent Canadian players back in the day, Thorburn (The Grinder) was very good although slow.

Went to the crucible many times late 80s early 90s and saw all 3 live at various times. Thorburn was very good, but big bill was also decent, think he won the Lada classic or something like that? Kirk dabbled in drugs I believe? Great days.

Edited by GLOwl
Spelling

Great player for us.

The only returning player to receive a standing ovation from 3 sides of the ground when he walked out onto the pitch with some of the other Palace players that day.

You could see he was overwhelmed by the reception...very proud of our support that day.

• Like 2

Must admit before we signed him,I knew very little about him,but his work rate,effort and goals soon cemented AndyMac as a very big favorite with the fans and well respected here still to this day.

He was a huge part of our promotion,not only for the goals he scored but for the goals he created for other too.

Guy had the heart of a lion.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pulsar said:

Not this again.

He was one of my early heroes but last time we had an AM thread his daughter ended up coming on here saying she was really upset with some of the comments.

He was as hard as nails though and brill alongside TC

UTO!

Was that when he did the commentary for a match? 

48 minutes ago, katie melua said:

Was that when he did the commentary for a match? 

I'm not certain now but there were a few posts not too favourable about hiim, stating what a limited striker/player he was and was a target for a section even in the 79s/80s as some felt his missed chances and goals to games ratio should have been better..

Much like ever since, there will always be fans who don't see the bigger pucture and what certain players can do for a team and that their tireless selfless play can benefit the team more than the individual.

Some of the comments upset the young lady that much she felt compelled enough to come on here and explain to us that her Dad's time here was the highlight of his career and he aways spoke of us with affection and if he'd had read some of it it would break his heart.

I sincerely hope she never told him and more to the point, i wish she or he would read this thread instead as it seems to me a more befitting tribute to the big man's time here, how he is truly remembered and free of the keyboard detractors who would have patted him on the back face to face.

Brave, fearless, selfless . great in the air , good for at least 15 goals a season and actually had more ability than he was given credit for., and the absolute perfect foil for Terry Curran.

There are times when you see some of the ridiculous preening players of today with their coloured boots, man bun, sleeve tattoo,s, wrist kissing, sky pointing, and throwing themselves on the floor if a fingernail comes within two yards of them that i long to see the likes of Andy Mac again........................proper bloke...........proper player.

17 hours ago, Garryswfcowl72 said:

3C8D2424-CFE8-4641-ABB3-0D6526F3540C.jpeg

I had a similar cut out from the Star from the same game - it was brilliant, another one of him saluting the Kop with a laughing copper at the side of him. The caption read "Goal king Andy and the Laughing Policeman" I had it on my bedroom wall for years

Just for the record...

APPEARANCES   GOALS

1979/80               35+0               13  

1980/1                 45+0               18

1981/2                 31+0                 8

1982/3                 35+3               10

TOTALS              122+3               44

• Thanks 1