No football at Hillsborough until 2021?

In all the talk of playing behind closed doors , sky have actually done an article on how many people is needed to stage a match behind closed doors! Have they actually thought how the players feel about it? Most will have families and if the rest of the country is still socially distancing why should they risk playing while the virus continues to spread. 

I still cannot see any situation where behind closed doors games will work for clubs, it’s optimistic at best to think clubs will survive until next year without fans through turnstiles , for a start ..how will they be stopping people congregating around the ground when there’s a game going off ? will probably require a police presence and another bill for the clubs to pay

18 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

In all the talk of playing behind closed doors , sky have actually done an article on how many people is needed to stage a match behind closed doors! Have they actually thought how the players feel about it? Most will have families and if the rest of the country is still socially distancing why should they risk playing while the virus continues to spread. 

Presumably players will need to self isolate between games.... think they will be really happy to be away from their families and friends for 6 weeks in the summer, couped up in a hotel

Especially if they have no certainty about their future

3 hours ago, handworth52 said:

your right I doubt there will be hardly any clubs left in 12 months plus ,along with millions of jobs and businesses all folded .it seems that nothing else matters but keeping the numbers to say 400 rather than 500 even though many tens of thousands of lives will end early through suicide ,not going to hospital for other reasons ,or just neglect where some elderly lonely person just gives up. this is way overboard whats happening and been planned . the other part of this will kill a lot more. 

Don't be daft they might be a mental health thing to worry about but vast majority of businesses that has been doing things the right way are being kept alive by the government at the moment and none of us can see what the future holds for that.

Me and you generally have not a scooby doo how bad this is but without doubt its killing 1000s and it would be madness just to let us all go about out business as if nothing is happening.

Personally I want a total 3 week shutdown then phased release to see what happens to the numbers after that with football being way down the list to restart.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Presumably players will need to self isolate between games.... think they will be really happy to be away from their families and friends for 6 weeks in the summer, couped up in a hotel

Especially if they have no certainty about their future

Would be interesting, keep the 2metres lads remember 2metres away.

21 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Sad to say but I haven't missed it at all. Overpriced tickets to watch overpaid mediocre players struggle to perform the basics doesn't have the appeal for some strange reason.

You and hundreds of others I don't doubt, doesn't seem important any more!

2 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

Would be interesting, keep the 2metres lads remember 2metres away.

Wouldn't be a problem for our defence, they don't get that close to the opposition at the best of times. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Of course some good points here but ultimately I don’t agree.

there is little chance of a vaccine being developed for COVID-19. The governments strategy is about managing nhs capacity , not getting rid of this or curing it. We will all be going back to work at some point, I suspect in June, in smaller groups and footballers will be included. Will some footballers and coaches get COVID19 as a result ? Yes. Is that a risk they will take and the govt will accept ? Yes.  Same as rest of us with jobs who don’t have chronic illness.

behind closed doors, on tv, will be coming soon enough .

It wouldn't surprise me if games started in the next couple of months, but the outcome is all but inevitable. Unless testing and cleaning was at a standard comparable with a NASA laboratory,  new cases would start occurring within a couple of weeks. And where does that leave everything? I just don't see it lasting very long and the public health issues would soon make it impossible to continue again.

In principle, I don't mind them completing the current season, even if it means waiting it out for a few months. It's probably the least worst option, notwithstanding the legal minefields of player, advertising and broadcasting contracts. It's not the pragmatic option, but it's difficult to imagine the alternatives being accepted by a lot of clubs. But the game's authorities seem oblivious to the reality of the social conditions and are motivated by things that should be secondary.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It wouldn't surprise me if games started in the next couple of months, but the outcome is all but inevitable. Unless testing and cleaning was at a standard comparable with a NASA laboratory,  new cases would start occurring within a couple of weeks. And where does that leave everything? I just don't see it lasting very long and the public health issues would soon make it impossible to continue again.

In principle, I don't mind them completing the current season, even if it means waiting it out for a few months. It's probably the least worst option, notwithstanding the legal minefields of player, advertising and broadcasting contracts. It's not the pragmatic option, but it's difficult to imagine the alternatives being accepted by a lot of clubs. But the game's authorities seem oblivious to the reality of the social conditions and are motivated by things that should be secondary.

This

The EPL can play games behind close doors because they all have £100's millions from sky to pay the costs.

The EFL teams need the gate receipt income to survive but many such as ourselves already have this in the form of season tickets so should be able to see out the season.

The league 1 and 2 clubs survive month to month on the gate receipts and stands with no fans, will send them probably to the brink of existence.

But a 10% salary cut to the players at the top of the game and instead of this money going back to the EPL being split equally to the league 1 and 2 club this would give them the financial stability to see out this crisis. But unfortunately as we have already seem the EPL players are not interest in helping the rest in football out unless they get all the money paid back later from a deferral.

The long and short of it is, if the EPL and the EFL continue on their narrow greed orientated route, then come 2021 of the 91 profession teams left we could be down to 50-60 professional teams.

There is of course the hidden cost of behind closed door games many local business rely on that extra income from matchdays to survive and there will be many smaller business go to the wall because 20,000 fans are not turning up every other week. 

4 hours ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Presumably players will need to self isolate between games.... think they will be really happy to be away from their families and friends for 6 weeks

The hotel porters will be reyt happy...all them autographs. No doubt the chamber maids, chefs...waiters etc will honoured.

Think its a good idea mesen, what could go wrong?

27 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The EPL can play games behind close doors because they all have £100's millions from sky to pay the costs.

The EFL teams need the gate receipt income to survive but many such as ourselves already have this in the form of season tickets so should be able to see out the season.

The league 1 and 2 clubs survive month to month on the gate receipts and stands with no fans, will send them probably to the brink of existence.

But a 10% salary cut to the players at the top of the game and instead of this money going back to the EPL being split equally to the league 1 and 2 club this would give them the financial stability to see out this crisis. But unfortunately as we have already seem the EPL players are not interest in helping the rest in football out unless they get all the money paid back later from a deferral.

The long and short of it is, if the EPL and the EFL continue on their narrow greed orientated route, then come 2021 of the 91 profession teams left we could be down to 50-60 professional teams.

There is of course the hidden cost of behind closed door games many local business rely on that extra income from matchdays to survive and there will be many smaller business go to the wall because 20,000 fans are not turning up every other week. 

If league 1 and 2 clubs received extra money they would just have to pay increased wages for their players. 

That's how football operates like the disastrous capitalism model that all governments are slaves to. 

Constant unrestricted growth from a finite resource. 

It's why virtually every club in the land even prior to this outbreak were in considerable debt

Just pouring more money into the same model will continue to see the same problems but with bigger numbers involved

Football desperately needs a reboot

21 hours ago, Nero said:

From Prof Chris Whitty at the daily coronavirus conference: 

In the long run, the exit from this is going to be one of two things, ideally. A vaccine, and there are a variety of ways they can be deployed ... or, and/or, highly effective drugs so that people stop dying of this disease even if they catch it, or which can prevent this disease in vulnerable people.

Until we have those, and the probability of having those any time in the next calendar year are incredibly small and I think we should be realistic about that.

We’re going to have to rely on other social measures, which of course are very socially disruptive as everyone is finding at the moment.

But until that point, that is what we will have to do but it will be the best combination that maximises the outlooks but it’s going to take a long time and I think we need to be aware of that.

That means no fans at games for 12 months.

Till April next year. 

No way football can sustain that with current business models even with behind closed doors games.

Scary times.

Good point. If you read what he said, there won’t be any medical solution by NEXT Callender year. My interpretation of that is some kind of solution in 2022 not 2021.

6 minutes ago, Stripes or die said:

Good point. If you read what he said, there won’t be any medical solution by NEXT Callender year. My interpretation of that is some kind of solution in 2022 not 2021.

Which is why, we need to end the madness of trying to finish this season.

End it as is and crack on finding a sustainable reboot method.