No football at Hillsborough until 2021?

_108873047_parry_get.jpg

EFL chairman Rick Parry believes that fans will not be allowed to attend matches until 2021.

That is according to Burton Albion chairman Ben Robinson.

Robinson confirmed that during a meeting with EFL clubs on Tuesday, Parry admitted he doesn't believe fans will be allowed back in stadiums until 2021.

"There is a lot of uncertainty. We don't know when the season will be concluded, if it is," Robinson told Sky Sports' The Football Show.

"An even bigger concern is about next season.

"In the meeting yesterday, Rick Parry, the EFL chairman, said that he thought the season might not start until next year when the games are played with fans attending.

"You can imagine the financial implications of that are considerable.

"He didn't think crowds would be in stadiums until 2021, that was his personal view. It could take as long as that to get gate receipts flowing back into clubs."

Owlstalk Shop

So could that kill off next season then.. Glad we have a load of players out of contract at the end of this season...  You have to also think we have Euro's next year which have been postponed so its unlikely they will want to push the boundaries of the season.   Maybe there is an argument for restarting this season in 2021?

1 minute ago, catdog1121 said:

So could that kill off next season then.. Glad we have a load of players out of contract at the end of this season...  You have to also think we have Euro's next year which have been postponed so its unlikely they will want to push the boundaries of the season.   Maybe there is an argument for restarting this season in 2021?

maybe so, trouble is what happens when players run out of contract? I don't want Wednesday to keep paying some of these players their ridiculous contracts.

1 minute ago, matt68owls said:

maybe so, trouble is what happens when players run out of contract? I don't want Wednesday to keep paying some of these players their ridiculous contracts.

Makes no odds to me either way.

I'd much rather we didn't hand them out in the first place then we'd not have the issue at all.

Owlstalk Shop

44 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

2021.... with all the 7 clubs left in the league, over all 3 EFL leagues..... knowing our luck 4 will be in the championship and we will be 4th in may 2022

The EFL is finished. Most of the clubs will have folded, and the rest of them will have made all their players redundant, before this crisis is over.

Football will never be the same. It will have to start all over again.If we ever get through this. 

We forget how much of a lift footy gives us.

The game against Charlton when we won it in the last minute. That feeling cannot be replicated in any other way.....It realy felt like it meant something and the players loved it along with the fans who remained at the end.

i will still watch the games on TV, but it will not be the same.

Looking forward to 2021 in many ways.

2 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Hard to see how the EFL can carry on in it's current form if this does come to pass.

If clubs aren't going to receive any gate receipts until 2021 it's highly unlikely there'll be 92 clubs still  competing in the EFL.  We may even be down to 2 divisions & Championship clubs won't be immune from extinction.

1 hour ago, matt68owls said:

as far as I am concerned, football should not start again until fans can attend.

Whilst I agree with you I don’t think that would be a viable option.

I think Championship games will start off being shown live on the Red Button on SKY behind closed doors with a few league 1 & 2 games, it wouldn’t do the BBC or ITV any harm to pick up some lower league live games if they could wrestle them from SKY

Keeping sponsors happy and getting the TV money will be higher on the agenda before putting on match days for fans, who in the chairman’s own words, don’t contribute.

Edited by Mac_77

I can't quite get my head around everything that's happening right now, but when I read things like 'no football to be played in front of a live crowd until 2021' I get a good feeling.

I don't understand why that is, but I think I'm just hoping the whole thing goes pop and has to restart at a level we can all relate to. 

Life has been put into perspective this last couple of months and football, whilst playing an important role in many people's lives, has got out of hand and we're seeing players being rewarded for their efforts with obscene amounts of money yet the majority of 'keyworkers' that keep the country ticking over are paid a pittance.

Press the reset button and lets start again on a level playing field.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2