No football at Hillsborough until 2021?

4 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Sad to say but I haven't missed it at all. Overpriced tickets to watch overpaid mediocre players struggle to perform the basics doesn't have the appeal for some strange reason.

It's really weird.  I think had there been other football going on I would have.  But I'm the same, not missed it at all.  

I love sport of any kind and I've not missed anything.

I think life has just been thrown in to perspective a little and you realise how frivolous professional sport can be.

Just not bothered...

1 hour ago, matt68owls said:

as far as I am concerned, football should not start again until fans can attend.

Totally agree with you matt.

However given the need of clubs at all levels to generate income I expect to see fans as usual put way down the priority order.

Worldwide television rights, pitch side advertising and the international gambling industry will all come into play which will mean that  games will restart as soon as possible, presumably behind closed doors.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Sad to say but I haven't missed it at all. Overpriced tickets to watch overpaid mediocre players struggle to perform the basics doesn't have the appeal for some strange reason.

I've missed it like bloody hell. 

I'd even take another 5-0 hammering just to be back on kop with my family and friends. 

12 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I wonder if they will be a limit on size of the crowds if football starts again in August or September.

Maybe gatherings of less then 500 allowed which would mean some non league football could be played.

Judging on performances we've seen plenty of non league football although that's harsh on non league football.

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

I wonder if they will be a limit on size of the crowds if football starts again in August or September.

Maybe gatherings of less then 500 allowed which would mean some non league football could be played.

We're well under 500 spectators for the 2nd half of most home matches since Xmas.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, OriginalAlien said:

I can't quite get my head around everything that's happening right now, but when I read things like 'no football to be played in front of a live crowd until 2021' I get a good feeling.

I don't understand why that is, but I think I'm just hoping the whole thing goes pop and has to restart at a level we can all relate to. 

Life has been put into perspective this last couple of months and football, whilst playing an important role in many people's lives, has got out of hand and we're seeing players being rewarded for their efforts with obscene amounts of money yet the majority of 'keyworkers' that keep the country ticking over are paid a pittance.

Press the reset button and lets start again on a level playing field.

This, this, this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1 hour ago, Markowski77 said:

It’s quite ironic really - that now the efl are relying to a degree, on wealthy owners to pump money into clubs to pay for things, when it was vilified only months ago for an owner to spend his own money on his football club 

Bingo!!

From Prof Chris Whitty at the daily coronavirus conference: 

In the long run, the exit from this is going to be one of two things, ideally. A vaccine, and there are a variety of ways they can be deployed ... or, and/or, highly effective drugs so that people stop dying of this disease even if they catch it, or which can prevent this disease in vulnerable people.

Until we have those, and the probability of having those any time in the next calendar year are incredibly small and I think we should be realistic about that.

We’re going to have to rely on other social measures, which of course are very socially disruptive as everyone is finding at the moment.

But until that point, that is what we will have to do but it will be the best combination that maximises the outlooks but it’s going to take a long time and I think we need to be aware of that.

That means no fans at games for 12 months.

Till April next year. 

No way football can sustain that with current business models even with behind closed doors games.

Scary times.

If they are allowed to play games behind closed doors it will take a lot of organising, just stopping fans from trying to attend the ground will be a massive police operation

what happens when a player contracts covid 19

that would mean both teams self isolating and not being able to field a team for two weeks

until there is a way to start proper football I cant see it being allowed, and it shouldn't be anyway, fans make a football match, not 22 overpaid players

42 minutes ago, the third man said:

If they are allowed to play games behind closed doors it will take a lot of organising, just stopping fans from trying to attend the ground will be a massive police operation

I keep reading this and whilst not disagreeing with you I cannot for the life of me understand why fans would try to gather around the stadium if the match was behind closed doors. Obviously the scousers would but surely the everyday fan would just sit at home an watch on tv. 

Edited by Avon barksdale

30 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

I keep reading this and whilst not disagreeing with you I cannot for the life of me understand why fans would try to gather around the stadium if the match was behind closed doors. Obviously the scousers would but surely the everyday fan would just sit at home an watch on tv. 

I think they had a few problems in Italy with fans turning up at grounds even though they were playing behind closed doors.