No football at Hillsborough until 2021?

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

It wouldn't surprise me if games started in the next couple of months, but the outcome is all but inevitable. Unless testing and cleaning was at a standard comparable with a NASA laboratory,  new cases would start occurring within a couple of weeks. And where does that leave everything? I just don't see it lasting very long and the public health issues would soon make it impossible to continue again.

In principle, I don't mind them completing the current season, even if it means waiting it out for a few months. It's probably the least worst option, notwithstanding the legal minefields of player, advertising and broadcasting contracts. It's not the pragmatic option, but it's difficult to imagine the alternatives being accepted by a lot of clubs. But the game's authorities seem oblivious to the reality of the social conditions and are motivated by things that should be secondary.

The key point here is that we cannot carry on forever with the current measures. We aren’t gong to get a vaccine for this for a long time , possibly never. We will need to accept that, and get nhs capacity to a level where it can cope. Some simple measures in matches could help. For example, the staff and players should be tested for any underlying medical conditions. For palace for example , they would need to live without hodgson on the touchine given his age. Players will get COVID 19 . No question. No different to the rest of us. They are almost certainly going to survive it. 

1 hour ago, scram said:

If league 1 and 2 clubs received extra money they would just have to pay increased wages for their players. 

That's how football operates like the disastrous capitalism model that all governments are slaves to. 

Constant unrestricted growth from a finite resource. 

It's why virtually every club in the land even prior to this outbreak were in considerable debt

Just pouring more money into the same model will continue to see the same problems but with bigger numbers involved

Football desperately needs a reboot

The term 'Back heeler' springs to mind !

6 hours ago, Avon barksdale said:

In all the talk of playing behind closed doors , sky have actually done an article on how many people is needed to stage a match behind closed doors! Have they actually thought how the players feel about it? Most will have families and if the rest of the country is still socially distancing why should they risk playing while the virus continues to spread. 

Germany talking about starting up in early may behind closed doors. Their league have said it could take up to 300 people to get a game on, that includes players , staff, camera people ball boys/ girls etc. 

1 hour ago, Howards back said:

Germany talking about starting up in early may behind closed doors. Their league have said it could take up to 300 people to get a game on, that includes players , staff, camera people ball boys/ girls etc. 

I’ve seen that , wonder how the players feel about it , to me it seems too soon . Instead of sky endless asking carragher , Neville and the rest of the old boys club . I’d like to hear how the players feel? Football without fans seems pointless but inevitable unfortunately 

10 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Where does it say that?...ffs don't tell the EFL

They will want to tossss up behind closed doors

A vaccine has never been created for a Corona virus before , despite efforts, and it is likely the virus has mutated significantly anyway.  We will eventually have to suck this one up I am afraid. The key is managing the suck up so you get hospital treatment if you draw a short straw and it knacks you up . 

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

The key point here is that we cannot carry on forever with the current measures. We aren’t gong to get a vaccine for this for a long time , possibly never. We will need to accept that, and get nhs capacity to a level where it can cope. Some simple measures in matches could help. For example, the staff and players should be tested for any underlying medical conditions. For palace for example , they would need to live without hodgson on the touchine given his age. Players will get COVID 19 . No question. No different to the rest of us. They are almost certainly going to survive it. 

That's fine, and I've long been aware that once lockdown is over all kinds of measures will be necessary to manage the process for a long time to come which may include further extended periods of restricted movement. And as you say, it's clear that we cannot carry on like this for too long for a whole host of reasons.

I'm sure the players will be comforted knowing that they are 'almost' certainly going to survive infection (studies of the factors which contribute to death still have some way to go for a comprehensive understanding, but early data from China indicates just under 1% mortaiity at that kind of age). As for those they come into contact with, directly or indirectly...?

3 hours ago, mcmigo said:

It will only take 1 player at a club to catch the virus and potentially the whole team or a good number of the team could get it before the said player showed symptoms, if at all. What happens when a club can’t field a team? 

3 hours ago, mcmigo said:

agree , there is no guarantee of a vaccine ,in fact nothing is certain .and also decisions don't need to made yet . I think more needs to be understood what age groups it effects ,ethnicity etc then a risk assessment needs to be done. you cant have 99% of the population stopped from living life for maybe 2-3 years not allowed to find a new bird if there single ,not allowed to sit within 7 foot in a classroom try telling your young kid they cant play anymore or sit near anyone at school ,how ridiculous . maybe to start with there might be an age limit ,I just don't see how its practical to just cancel everything for a very long time some might not agree with me but smoking kills a hell of a lot ,drinking kills a lot, eating too much fatty food kills a lot ,everything needs to be judged on risk and common sense . if I was 70 plus and not in best of health would I go to pub in next 2 years no football no ,public transport no . if I was 60 and in reasonable health then it would be a little risky but would have to be the persons judgement , if I was 50 think id risk it , and any age below as long as my health is good then why not though ive always said public transport and especially flying are very high risk for catching a virus ive had many a holiday slightly ruined by that but I have never been poorly going to a football match I cant ever remember 2-3 days after a game getting a virus or a cold I think that's because its fresh air and your out in open and you generally not facing someone directly in front of you if they had a virus. 

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

That's fine, and I've long been aware that once lockdown is over all kinds of measures will be necessary to manage the process for a long time to come which may include further extended periods of restricted movement. And as you say, it's clear that we cannot carry on like this for too long for a whole host of reasons.

I'm sure the players will be comforted knowing that they are 'almost' certainly going to survive infection (studies of the factors which contribute to death still have some way to go for a comprehensive understanding, but early data from China indicates just under 1% mortaiity at that kind of age). As for those they come into contact with, directly or indirectly...?

Every player in the league will take those odds and agree to play.

we will all have to take those odds eventually , footballers and non footballers . The only question is whether there is health service capacity to mitigate as far as possible the bad cases. 

55 minutes ago, farlego said:

It will only take 1 player at a club to catch the virus and potentially the whole team or a good number of the team could get it before the said player showed symptoms, if at all. What happens when a club can’t field a team? 

that's why this season needs cancelling , id start again mid aug/sept with people in the ground maybe with certain conditions ,failing that definitely don't start next season behind closed doors that is pure stupid , maybe if they had to delay next season till xmas then that's what would maybe will happen but nothing is certain about anything. if anything was played behind closed doors then it could be fa cup or league cup maybe played from aug til November to get some tv income . ive paid next season for me and kids I don't think giving me some kind of tv pass would cut it for what ive paid out. unless common sense is arrived at then every club below premier league will go bust.  

On 22/04/2020 at 14:28, Ronnie Starling said:

Sad to say but I haven't missed it at all. Overpriced tickets to watch overpaid mediocre players struggle to perform the basics doesn't have the appeal for some strange reason.

I agree 100%. I have religiously supported the Owls for 60 years and prior to this season I hadn't missed a league game at Hillsborough for over 40 years I was addicted and couldn't break the habit, but to be perfectly honest, at the moment it wouldn't bother me if I didn't go again. The spell has been broken.

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

A vaccine has never been created for a Corona virus before , despite efforts, and it is likely the virus has mutated significantly anyway.  We will eventually have to suck this one up I am afraid. The key is managing the suck up so you get hospital treatment if you draw a short straw and it knacks you up . 

Oxford university seem very confident, and several other scientist around the world seem fairly sure one will be developed.

Though of course it could be 9-months away on the very optimistic side..or commonly stated up to 2 yrs away.

By then...no doubt someone in the far east will be eating mermaids titts on toast...and another virus will cause havoc worldwide.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dumboldowl said:

I agree 100%. I have religiously supported the Owls for 60 years and prior to this season I hadn't missed a league game at Hillsborough for over 40 years I was addicted and couldn't break the habit, but to be perfectly honest, at the moment it wouldn't bother me if I didn't go again. The spell has been broken.

It’s your age not circumstances. Had we been playing really well you would have moaned about the prices, seats or food. Old people just do, your priorities change. Ce la vie. 

my son ( 8 yrs old ) is gutted about this whole thing. The likes of fox , bannan are heroes to him . 

18 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

This is the reality that it seems some people just cannot comprehend. The Government is being pushed by the self-righteous, second-guessing and sanctimonious media for exit strategies with no thought for the consequences. Talking as if the end of this is in sight is misleading at best and dangerously irresponsible at worst.

Think about how many people would be necessary to stage just one professional game. Even if everything is kept to a minimum, from the players, coaches, equipment staff, medical personnel, stadium facilities, security, broadcasting, transport, catering and accommodation, how many are involved directly; 80-100? More?

That's just one of the 46 professional games scheduled for each weekend; so about 4,000 individuals overall across almost the entire country. Just to complete the league season, you need to do all of that 9 times. I've no idea what the plans are for the FA Cup or league play-offs either. It's just not realistic to expect supporters not to show up in considerable numbers too, especially when major issues are at stake. And then how many will all of these people come into contact with indirectly? Meanwhile, as all this is going on, everyone involved with other major events is happy to sit in their garden with a beer and watch the games on TV without any comment?

What are the odds of doing all of that without significant numbers of new cases? And when the inevitable starts to happen, then what?

Bundesliga just announced they can be ready to play whenever the government gives the OK.  They reckon each game needs 300 people to stage it (including ball boys!!!).

A German academic has said that they would need 20,000 tests to complete the season with all players and staff being shielded.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52379825

And crowds are legally banned until at least 24th October.

Just not bothered...

1 hour ago, dumboldowl said:

All that time and effort you have put into supporting your team but this virus has thrown a spotlight all aspects of every day life. Somethings are important and others aren't. I totally respect and admire those of our fan base that spend hard-earned cash supporting the team up and down the country but I've just got bored of football as a whole.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ronnie Starling said:

All that time and effort you have put into supporting your team but this virus has thrown a spotlight all aspects of every day life. Somethings are important and others aren't. I totally respect and admire those of our fan base that spend hard-earned cash supporting the team up and down the country but I've just got bored of football as a whole.

I have not become bored at football just bored of what it's become.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, handworth52 said:

agree , there is no guarantee of a vaccine ,in fact nothing is certain .and also decisions don't need to made yet . I think more needs to be understood what age groups it effects ,ethnicity etc then a risk assessment needs to be done. you cant have 99% of the population stopped from living life for maybe 2-3 years not allowed to find a new bird if there single ,not allowed to sit within 7 foot in a classroom try telling your young kid they cant play anymore or sit near anyone at school ,how ridiculous . maybe to start with there might be an age limit ,I just don't see how its practical to just cancel everything for a very long time some might not agree with me but smoking kills a hell of a lot ,drinking kills a lot, eating too much fatty food kills a lot ,everything needs to be judged on risk and common sense . if I was 70 plus and not in best of health would I go to pub in next 2 years no football no ,public transport no . if I was 60 and in reasonable health then it would be a little risky but would have to be the persons judgement , if I was 50 think id risk it , and any age below as long as my health is good then why not though ive always said public transport and especially flying are very high risk for catching a virus ive had many a holiday slightly ruined by that but I have never been poorly going to a football match I cant ever remember 2-3 days after a game getting a virus or a cold I think that's because its fresh air and your out in open and you generally not facing someone directly in front of you if they had a virus. 

It doesn’t matter what the risk is to you though. With drinking (and to a lesser extent smoking) you only put yourself at risk. 

With this, you put anyone and everyone you come into contact with at risk, and they can pass it on too without even realising.