No football at Hillsborough until 2021?

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

It’s your age not circumstances. Had we been playing really well you would have moaned about the prices, seats or food. Old people just do, your priorities change. Ce la vie. 

my son ( 8 yrs old ) is gutted about this whole thing. The likes of fox , bannan are heroes to him . 

Here speaks a man who obviously knows not only every  old person but also understands how and why they think. 

What a genius. 

2 hours ago, handworth52 said:

common sense is arrived at then every club below premier league will go bust.  

There is a very real danger, that if football dosnt adapt this will happen. Even in the EPL. 

People just arnt seeing the bigger picture here. 

Everyone just seems wrapped up in hairbrained schemes trying to get games on. 

Frankly I'm just waiting for the reality to smack people in the face. 

Perhaps players will be treated like normal workers and get laid off or made redundant if the business is struggling 

Or maybe paid a retainer on reduced terms 

Perhaps the players union ought to step in and say " it's like this lads ,if we dont take big cuts in pay now there will be nothing left to come back to"

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2020/april/chairmans-chat/

interestingtake from the Plymouth chairman. Doesn’t seem to think this season will be finished. Playing behind closed doors too expensive. Doesn’t want the season voided but not calling for relegation- unsurprisingly that would mean Plymouth getting promoted. Wants much tougher financial rules with equity replacing debt as the means of financing clubs 

“In thinking about the long-term future of football and the solvency of clubs, we support increased enforcement of existing EFL rules that govern how much clubs can spend on player wages - their largest expense, and the one that most often leads to financial calamity.

We think the current system needs some tweaks, but that increased monitoring of clubs’ finances and stronger enforcement against clubs breaking the rules and spending beyond their means would go a long way to making football more financially sustainable.

We would oppose any attempt to impose a “one size fits all” limit on player wages for each club in any division. We believe that clubs with greater resources should be able to pay higher aggregate levels of wages, and/or have larger squads.

The important criterion for us is that clubs’ revenues and expenses should match, or, if expenses exceed revenues, the shortfall should be made up with shareholders’ equity (not debt).

We believe that players’ wages are contracted and that clubs have an obligation to fulfill those contracts. We would not support a collective agreement to cut players’ wages. We recognize, however, that budgets for future seasons will be drastically reduced and new contracts are highly unlikely to be offered on terms similar to those given in previous years.

In the short-term, we also think that, once football is safe to restart, the transfer window should remain open for a continuous period, enabling clubs in financial stress to realise the value of player contracts where they are no longer in a position to pay contracted wages.”

17 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2020/april/chairmans-chat/

interestingtake from the Plymouth chairman. Doesn’t seem to think this season will be finished. Playing behind closed doors too expensive. Doesn’t want the season voided but not calling for relegation- unsurprisingly that would mean Plymouth getting promoted. Wants much tougher financial rules with equity replacing debt as the means of financing clubs 

“In thinking about the long-term future of football and the solvency of clubs, we support increased enforcement of existing EFL rules that govern how much clubs can spend on player wages - their largest expense, and the one that most often leads to financial calamity.

We think the current system needs some tweaks, but that increased monitoring of clubs’ finances and stronger enforcement against clubs breaking the rules and spending beyond their means would go a long way to making football more financially sustainable.

We would oppose any attempt to impose a “one size fits all” limit on player wages for each club in any division. We believe that clubs with greater resources should be able to pay higher aggregate levels of wages, and/or have larger squads.

The important criterion for us is that clubs’ revenues and expenses should match, or, if expenses exceed revenues, the shortfall should be made up with shareholders’ equity (not debt).

We believe that players’ wages are contracted and that clubs have an obligation to fulfill those contracts. We would not support a collective agreement to cut players’ wages. We recognize, however, that budgets for future seasons will be drastically reduced and new contracts are highly unlikely to be offered on terms similar to those given in previous years.

In the short-term, we also think that, once football is safe to restart, the transfer window should remain open for a continuous period, enabling clubs in financial stress to realise the value of player contracts where they are no longer in a position to pay contracted wages.”

A lot of common sense there. Much more rigorous financial controls are required for numerous reasons, but there should be an allowance for the individual circumstances of each club. When we were sharing a division with Rushden and Diamonds it would be a bit silly to assume that the two clubs were essentially the same in that regard.

There may be changes ahead for the lower divisions, but even after this crisis, it's difficult to see the greed and self-interest higher up the pyramid being changed too much for very long.

17 hours ago, Maddogbob said:

There is a very real danger, that if football dosnt adapt this will happen. Even in the EPL. 

People just arnt seeing the bigger picture here. 

Everyone just seems wrapped up in hairbrained schemes trying to get games on. 

Frankly I'm just waiting for the reality to smack people in the face. 

frankly its all down to money , if paying public cant attend next season then there simply shouldn't be football , all contracts need axing at every club so that would mean every club been as one and going down the administration route.  if that fails every club should fold ,and set up again when the game is allowed again.. having pay deferrals or 15% wage cuts simply is laughable . I don't know what happened in 1918 when 100x more people died through flu ,did life completely stop for 2-3 years? was football scrapped ? im sure someone will know . we live in a very strange climate where 90000 deaths are allowed every year through smoking ,50000 deaths are going to happen from cancer patients who`s care has either been abandoned or there too scared to go to hospital , we have 1000s who are committing suicide ,and many others whose health is suffering greatly . so is a continued lockdown for weeks and months and probably into next year and beyond a good idea? I think not.  I go to work ,I don't hide behind the curtains ,Im just been sensible based on my age and health . everyone needs to do whats best for themselves ,nobody is forcing you to walk the street ,go on a bus ,attend a football match or anything else in life , if the risk is too high or your not comfortable don't do it , but life needs to resume ,kids especially are suffering. maybe a vaccine  will happen maybe this year maybe next year maybe 2022 but until then life has to return to some kind of normality or if it don't don't expect anyones jobs to be safe. 

34 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

frankly its all down to money , if paying public cant attend next season then there simply shouldn't be football , all contracts need axing at every club so that would mean every club been as one and going down the administration route.  if that fails every club should fold ,and set up again when the game is allowed again.. having pay deferrals or 15% wage cuts simply is laughable . I don't know what happened in 1918 when 100x more people died through flu ,did life completely stop for 2-3 years? was football scrapped ? im sure someone will know . we live in a very strange climate where 90000 deaths are allowed every year through smoking ,50000 deaths are going to happen from cancer patients who`s care has either been abandoned or there too scared to go to hospital , we have 1000s who are committing suicide ,and many others whose health is suffering greatly . so is a continued lockdown for weeks and months and probably into next year and beyond a good idea? I think not.  I go to work ,I don't hide behind the curtains ,Im just been sensible based on my age and health . everyone needs to do whats best for themselves ,nobody is forcing you to walk the street ,go on a bus ,attend a football match or anything else in life , if the risk is too high or your not comfortable don't do it , but life needs to resume ,kids especially are suffering. maybe a vaccine  will happen maybe this year maybe next year maybe 2022 but until then life has to return to some kind of normality or if it don't don't expect anyones jobs to be safe. 

I've been researching Spanish Flu for a potential project. It probably killed around 230,000 British people in 3 distinct waves  - the second in autumn 1918 being by far the most virulent. So if we imagine 40,000 deaths from COVID 19 it was almost 6 times worse not a 100. In fact the Imperial estimate if we'd done nothing was up to double Spanish Flu deaths - but from a bigger population. It was up to 100 million dead worldwide.

Flu viruses mutate  - that combined with the immunity people developed - meant that the pandemic had passed by the time football was due to restart so it wasn't an issue.  Football completed the 1914-15 season despite the war and then started again in 1919-20.  But during the war - and indeed in The Second World War - they still played professional football in different formats. According to Wikipedia - There were four regional leagues in WW1. The Football League Lancashire and Midland sections were split into a principal tournament, consisting of a single league, and then a subsidiary tournament of four groups. Wednesday won the regional subsidiary tournament.  So football didn't stop for either war - it reorganised. 

I suppose atm no-one is sure how this virus is going to act or how long it will last.  

Edited by rickygoo

39 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

1 ww1 was on. 

2 millions died of spanish flu worlwide. It was kinda masked by those in charge, to protect moral. 

3 nobodies job is safe. 

4 Football will survive, it'll just be different. 

5 life will return to some sort of normality, but it'll be different. 

Also big applause for not hiding behind curtains, national hero. Thankfully I'm one that hasn't been forced to due to the fact I'm heathly. 

Edited by Maddogbob

3 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Agree totally mate..

IMO the pubs and restaurants wont be open by then.

I think restaurants will. Pubs and clubs probably not. Unless you cap the amount in them and strictly limit the sale to a couple or three pints. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Would be interesting to see how Restaurants would function?

Just space people out more. Easier to manage. That said you could probably do that with pubs. Strict table service, no more than 3 pints pp per table. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

I think restaurants will. Pubs and clubs probably not. Unless you cap the amount in them and strictly limit the sale to a couple or three pints. 

There was a bar owner on the telly the other day saying with tight restrictions on numbers they'd lose more money opening than staying shut. 

12 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

There was a bar owner on the telly the other day saying with tight restrictions on numbers they'd lose more money opening than staying shut. 

Yeah no idea how they cut a profit, alot were struggling before this I'd imagine. No idea what the answer would be. I'd imagine the ones that did really good food might be better off. 

If you've got alot of tables and space I'd imagine that would be an advantage. 

Edited by Maddogbob

I think football could do itself a big favour so that not everyone thinks it's a murky, grubby industry fuelled only by the lure of cash by stopping talking about when it may resume.

If they insist on playing games behind closed doors just to fulfil multi million pound deals, it would be great when fans are allowed back in, for them not to turn up. We weren't needed then so you can b@llocks now.

The whole thing stinks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Would be interesting to see how Restaurants would function?

if you were to own a restaurant or a pub and were told to shut up for 6 months plus and then you could reopen with maybe a third allowed in and nobody allowed to buy drinks from the bar to avoid close contact ,I was in there position if possible id shut the lot down for good ,there is no way that's viable ,they struggle as it is to make money. 

• Thanks 1

On 25/04/2020 at 00:46, Rodger Wylde said:

I think football could do itself a big favour so that not everyone thinks it's a murky, grubby industry fuelled only by the lure of cash by stopping talking about when it may resume.

If they insist on playing games behind closed doors just to fulfil multi million pound deals, it would be great when fans are allowed back in, for them not to turn up. We weren't needed then so you can b@llocks now.

The whole thing stinks.

Nail on head