Mick Lyons

57 minutes ago, owler66 said:

Yes can you imagine Mick Lyons marking Neymar WTF:

There'd be invisible cards being waved around like windmills . It would be a race to which player after being tackled could role the entire length of the pitch holding their face lol

• Haha 2

Loved him. I remember seeing him being interviewed on Grandstand on the day of our promotion, he was so softly spoken for such a fearless warrior and he had a lovely warm smile. A bit like one of those ruthless gangsters that smiles warmly at his victims before bumping them off.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Treborowl said:

Marwood corner. Flick on by Lyons at the near post. Chapman at the far post Bang Goal! How often did that happen?

I don't think we have had anybody who could head a ball like lee chapman, we've really missed a player like him over the years.

48 minutes ago, Hodgyowl said:

Players now would crap themselves having to play against him that's when I really enjoyed watching the owls......what a player.

4D2E00B5-34E8-46A0-BF7B-EDB25D78E520.thumb.jpeg.967d99d0190ab38e84bc400ec2a3043a.jpeg

The thing is, I dont remember him being dirty like Souness or Vinny Jones, just as hard as granite. During that promotion season, there seemed to be a picture of him with his face covered in blood after nearly every match. Alongside Hirsty as my favourite ever player.  

19 minutes ago, Nut said:

The thing is, I dont remember him being dirty like Souness or Vinny Jones, just as hard as granite. During that promotion season, there seemed to be a picture of him with his face covered in blood after nearly every match. Alongside Hirsty as my favourite ever player.  

He wasn't a dirty player nut just gave 100% when he pulled on the shirt, unfortunately some of our current players don't give a s**t.

Back then having Lyons as captain and Tony Tom's as trainer meant every single player had no choice but to give 110%. And it showed on the pitch. Just imagine those two turning upto training at Middlewood Rd now. Our players would shyte themselves. 

• Like 1

Remember him getting sent off at Wolves for smashing Burridge as revenge for Burridge doing the same to John Pearson. Game when Bannister missed two penalties and we lost 1-0. Great night topped off when train broke down on way back

Can remember  having a pint and talk outside sportsman down town ,He was with Martin Hodge ,They had just come back from away game ,Martin hodge was drinking Orange ,What a couple of Gentlemen they were ,Both spoke highly of our club ,Anyone remember when we played Liverpool ?,Mick got studded needed stitches ,Got it done in tunnel ,Came back on ,That's what it means giving your all for the club ,Not some of the waste of space we have at our club now .

• Like 2