Mick Lyons

I was 7 when he left the club.  At that time we were all pretending to be Neill Webb, John Barnes, Mark Chamberlain (!!!), Trevor Francis (who'd have thought back then?), Hoddle, Waddle, Lineker and so forth.

So sadly, I have zero recollection of this guy.   I wasn't yet going to games at this moment in time and don't remember ever watching Wednesday on TV with him playing.

8 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

He wouldn't have put up with performances of his team mates if he was captain now. He wouldn't have stood for it. 

Can you imagine him and Tony Toms stood on the training ground, arms folded, just staring at this squad - not saying owt - just starring.

• Haha 1

Was living in South Africa at the time so never saw the guy play, from what I've read he was an absolute Colossus for us and should go down as a Wednesday legend even if he was an Evertonian!0

I remember Graeme Souness gashing his ankle within seconds of the kick off of a League Cup game against Liverpool. Lyons had stitches put in (it might even have been in the tunnel) and then returned to the action within a few minutes. Can't imagine him getting on very well with the nancies of today. Proper warrior of a footballer who never gave less than his absolute maximum and wouldn't accept anything but the same from his colleagues. He was the perfect captain for us in Wilkinson's team.

• Like 1

Did he ever have a bash at management anywhere? If he did, how did he get on?

Looks pretty undistinguished on Wiki.

Brief spell at Grimsby that went badly then off to Australia. Strange that you would imagine him to have all the qualities that would make a decent manager.

Edited by ChinaOwl