Mick Lyons

12 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Wasn’t fortunate to be alive during this era but heard there were some fantastic characters even if not great football.

it was great football, it was WINNING football, don't kid yourself, there's a difference between a side that wears the shirt with pride and passion, and one that turns out just for the money paid.

Me and a mate hung around the ground a lot in the summer of '83 when on school holiday. One day we were on the pitch taking penalties at the Kop end (unbelievably you could just walk straight on) when Lyons came over to us. He very politely asked us to leave and told us two 14 year old school boys we shouldn't be there, but not before answering all our questions and kicking our football. A great childhood memory. 

10 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Back then having Lyons as captain and Tony Tom's as trainer meant every single player had no choice but to give 110%. And it showed on the pitch. Just imagine those two turning upto training at Middlewood Rd now. Our players would shyte themselves. 

Even Big Dave would run a mile to get away from Mick Lyons if they were in the same team.:tango:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bryan1966 said:

Remember him getting sent off at Wolves for smashing Burridge as revenge for Burridge doing the same to John Pearson. Game when Bannister missed two penalties and we lost 1-0. Great night topped off when train broke down on way back

I didn't go but remember the photos from our programme. The agony on his face when the ref brandished the red card. I think it may have been his first and only red card in his career. Shows that he was very hard, but fair.

And a great photo of Bannister pulling his Wednesday shirt off after he'd missed his second penalty. Maybe both captured by the excellent Steve Ellis. 

17 hours ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Can remember  having a pint and talk outside sportsman down town ,He was with Martin Hodge ,They had just come back from away game ,Martin hodge was drinking Orange ,What a couple of Gentlemen they were ,Both spoke highly of our club ,Anyone remember when we played Liverpool ?,Mick got studded needed stitches ,Got it done in tunnel ,Came back on ,That's what it means giving your all for the club ,Not some of the waste of space we have at our club now .

I was at that match... remember it well.

What a warrior.

• Like 1